+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

I like kale — unless it's made poorly.
    I love fresh, raw kale — but only if picked the same day. Luckily as an Old Town employee, I can pick veggies from the gardens to bring home. And kale is abundant right now.
    I also like baked kale chips as a go-to munchie snack.
    Kale leaves can be rather tough, so for a salad, it's best to "massage" it with coarse salt and fresh citrus slices/juice (lemon, lime, orange ... or a combination) before adding other ingredients.

The first time I tried kale, I hated it — because it either wasn't really fresh, or it was prepared poorly.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

A friend of mine *loves* kale. So I give her my share from our CSA because I can't stand it, no matter how it's cooked. (And like Punkin, I love other leafy greens. There's just something about kale that makes me cringe.) And several of my friends have made me their favorite recipes. My body just doesn't like it, and I learned long ago not to argue with foods my body doesn't like.
    Punkin, Ellen, pikachu and 1 others like this.

I have a friend who hates cilantro. How she describes the taste is nothing like what I taste. Completely different flavor profile. If I tasted cilantro as she describes it, I'd hate it, too.

So I think that — like with how my "red-green color-blind" husband sees color — people are genetically programmed to perceive some foods/flavors differently as well.

So I kinda wonder: if something tastes horrid (without any cultural or peer prompting), perhaps it's not meant for our genetic makeup to eat it?
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-13-2014 at 12:13 AM.
    Punkin and beerbelly like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I love kale - I eat it almost every day - but I've never seen it served at a restaurant as a vegetable side... in multi-ingredient dishes, yes.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I have a friend who hates cilantro. How she describes the taste is nothing like what I taste. Completely different flavor profile. If I tasted cilantro as she describes it, I'd hate it, too.

So I think that — like with how my "red-green color-blind" husband sees color — people are genetically programmed to perceive some foods/flavors differently as well.

So I kinda wonder: if something tastes horrid (without any cultural or peer prompting), perhaps it's not meant for our genetic makeup to eat it?
    I'm in the same situation, Ellen. I love cilantro but I have friends who hate it. They say it tastes like love bugs and that's not at all how it tastes to me.

It doesn't bother me if someone I know doesn't like what I like. As you said, we're all genetically programmed different so it's not like one person is wrong and the other person is right if we don't like the same thing. We're just different. I would never try to force them to like what I like just to prove I'm right.

I agree, pikachu - I can't tolerate heat in food and steer clear of anything labeled chipotle or jalapeño. People are always trying to get me to try things, but it causes me pain and I don't like pain.
    beerbelly and TripleGemini like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I agree, pikachu - I can't tolerate heat in food and steer clear of anything labeled chipotle or jalapeño. People are always trying to get me to try things, but it causes me pain and I don't like pain.
    I still can't quite understand the current love for extreme heat in foods. So often the words: Extra Hot; Very Spicy; Jalapeño; Extra Extra Hot; and HOT!!!, are featured on menus.
    Why would someone want that? I don't mind a little bite to food, but I want to taste my food, not just have a burning mouth, or worse yet, throat. God only knows what it's doing to stomachs.

The way I figure, have Jalapeño Sauce on the table, or serve it with the meal/dish for those who for some reason enjoy doing that to themselves. But don't ruin it for the rest of us who would love to try the dish but don't like to torture ourselves.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I love jalapenos in my Mexican food and also like La Victoria Salsa Brava hot sauce on Mexican! Somewhere in my Scandinavian genes hides a hot little Mexican!

Cilantro tastes like soap to me.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I went to a Mexican restaurant last month (Tijuana Flats) and tried an appetizer that was diced jalapenos and cream cheese rolled up in a flour tortilla and fried. The first bite or so tasted good but there were just way too many jalapenos in it. They overwhelmed everything else. I don't mind some spice but this was just ridiculous. I ended up having to unroll the tortillas and scrape out as much jalapeno as I could. I won't be getting that appetizer again, unless they can prepare it with much less jalapeno. I wonder if the people in the kitchen have ever even tasted them? I would think if they had, they would have noticed that the amount of jalapenos was overkill.

In retrospect, I should have complained while I was at the restaurant so they could have some customer feedback. I didn't because I don't like to be seen as a complainer.

+ Reply to Thread