+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Some restaurants just aren't ready to be in business. For some reason they don't know or care they are serving food that is not very tasty. Normally, if I eat somewhere twice and the food is not very good, I don't go back and predict they will not stay in business long. Normally, I'm right.

There was one place that I used to frequent years ago. It's a family run barbeque place. The food was good, but their iced tea was always sour. We would tell them EVERY TIME that their tea was sour and get an alternate beverage. They would listen, but never did anything about it. That has continued since the mid 1990's! They are still in business and when I returned there after all these years, my mom warned me to not get the iced tea as it was always sour! lol
    I guess people either don't order it or like it sour!

the place we went to has been open for a year and will be moving to a bigger and more prominent location in the city. I think that might hurt them. I also read that the chef takes a portion of the tips. I now regret tipping the server! Even if it wasn't a huge tip.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I feel the same way. I hate it when tips are shared. I want to tip my server for his/her service and pleasantness. Not someone else I know nothing about who's getting a free ride on my server.
    If I know this is the policy I tip less.

I also don't tip on the Credit Card. I leave cash. I've heard stories about the cut management takes on CC tips. Cash is left to the disposal of the individual person.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I feel the same way. I hate it when tips are shared. I want to tip my server for his/her service and pleasantness. Not someone else I know nothing about who's getting a free ride on my server.
    If I know this is the policy I tip less.

I also don't tip on the Credit Card. I leave cash. I've heard stories about the cut management takes on CC tips. Cash is left to the disposal of the individual person.
    I try to do that as well.

Our first server was the one who forgot our apps, the second server was very nice. A place that seats about 12 and they had 2 servers (and a third came in right after we ordered!)
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Some restaurants just aren't ready to be in business. For some reason they don't know or care they are serving food that is not very tasty. Normally, if I eat somewhere twice and the food is not very good, I don't go back and predict they will not stay in business long. Normally, I'm right.

There was one place that I used to frequent years ago. It's a family run barbeque place. The food was good, but their iced tea was always sour. We would tell them EVERY TIME that their tea was sour and get an alternate beverage. They would listen, but never did anything about it. That has continued since the mid 1990's! They are still in business and when I returned there after all these years, my mom warned me to not get the iced tea as it was always sour! lol
    There's a teriyaki restaurant that a friend and eat at maybe once every month or two and their iced tea is terrible. Not sour, but bad. Like they haven't cleaned out the machine, well, ever. It's like it has gone bad and they just keep adding new tea on top of the bad. I drink a lot of tea at a lot of different restaurants. I'm a bit of a connoisseur. This is the worst iced tea at any restaurant I've ever tried. The last time I took a chance and it was still just as bad, I didn't do what I normally do, which is just suck it up. I went to the counter and asked for a new cup and told the employee that the tea tasted terrible. She tasted it and seemed to think it was just fine. I told her that, no, it's awful. I got another cup, but seriously. I wonder if I'm the only one to really complain. I don't drink soft drinks unless there's no other option, so I always go for the iced tea. In this case, I just get water now. It's not worth it.

I don't have a huge amount of disposable income, so if something's not right, I'm going to say something. Luckily, this rarely happens. I'm always as nice as I can be, which I think goes a long way, but I'm still going to speak up.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I nearly always order water as my beverage with my meals. It's better for you, no calories, darned near always tastes the same, more refreshing, and it's free! Keeps the cost of a restaurant meal down.

The only exceptions are that I have to have my coffee in the morning, but I hardly ever eat at restaurants in the morning, and sometimes coffee if eating quite late, more for the caffeine than anything else.
    But even in those circumstances, I always have a large glass of water with my meal too.

When we were recently in Maui we went out to dinner at Kimo's, a very popular restaurant overlooking the shore. Each of the four of us had different entrees and we were all served Kale as the vegetable. None of us had ever tried kale, and none of us liked it. I have no problem with leafy greens, I love spinach and Swiss chard but I hated the kale. We enjoyed a long evening with cocktails and dessert and started noticing how many plates were being bussed off tables with the kale uneaten. Perhaps it wasn't prepared well, but it just wasn't getting eaten. I've dined there many times in years past and had never been served kale, but it seems to have some popularity now. I hope it's a fading fad because I thought it was awful. We wondered how the chef felt about so many diners leaving his vegetable untouched.

And, ditto on the cash tip instead of leaving a tip on the credit card payment! My dad used to always slip a few dollars to the kid bussing the table, too.

I've never had Kale, & will probably now make a point of avoiding it after your review, but I read a lot of articles on foods that are extra good for you or packed full of some nutrient or other. Recently I've noticed Kale mentioned in a lot of the articles.
    For me, it doesn't matter if a food is the cure all of humanity, if it is just plain nasty tasting I'll pass.

Maybe they could dry it, crush it into powder, & put it in capsule form to swallow without tasting it if it's all that good for you.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I like kale. I imagine that the restaurant you got it at, Punkin, didn't prepare it right and that's why so much of it was going uneaten. I hope the kitchen was told that the kale wasn't being eaten so they can correct it in the future or serve another vegetable.

My favorite soup at the Olive Garden, zuppa toscana, has kale, russett potatoes, and sausage in it. That was the first place I ever had kale and I loved it!

I wouldn't write off kale because of one bad experience. As with many things, it's all in how you prepare it. Clearly, the chefs at that restaurant didn't know what they were doing. One of my favorite veggie recipes has kale in it and everyone I've prepared it for loves it.
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I like kale. I imagine that the restaurant you got it at, Punkin, didn't prepare it right and that's why so much of it was going uneaten. I hope the kitchen was told that the kale wasn't being eaten so they can correct it in the future or serve another vegetable.

My favorite soup at the Olive Garden, zuppa toscana, has kale, russett potatoes, and sausage in it. That was the first place I ever had kale and I loved it!
    I guess I have had kale then. I've had the Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden & love it.
    Maybe it's at it's best when it's in a recipe rather than alone.

+ Reply to Thread