+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

I have a sister who, every time I have gone to a restaurant with, has sent her food back. It is maddening and embarrassing for everyone at the table. Doesn't matter what she orders, it's never right. She will play with it while everyone else is eating and then catch the waiter and tell them to take it back. Unfailingly she will then claim it is too late for the waiter to bring her anything else because everyone else has half finished their food. I don't know what she gets out of this. We all criticize her for doing this and tell her it is so rude to not allow the waiter to bring her something else she might like. No one in the family will go out to eat with her anymore. Families are weird in different ways.

PS- Phone Girll, I wish I was within driving distance to New Orleans!

I had a good restaurant experience this week. I took my 21 year old granddaughter to lunch at a nice restaurant on Wednesday. A short while after our food arrived the waiter stopped by the table to ask if everything was OK. My granddaughter told him her food had no taste. It was extremely bland. He insisted on taking it back and bringing her something different. A few minutes later the manager came to our table. He said he had tasted what she had returned and it was. indeed, very bland. The kitchen had messed up on the seasoning. He was very apologetic. Both the waiter and the manager told us it was their policy to taste returned food so that they could correct any mistakes on future orders. Wow! I was impressed. No wonder that place is busy!
    Punkin, Ellen, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Punkin, the story about your sister is odd. I curious about it too. I wonder what is causing this. Could the cost of the meal be a factor? Does she do this if an inexpensive food like a deli sandwhich or something?

My answer to your question, Debb got so long and so OT for the "restaurant" thread that I moved it to the "Tell us your troubles" thread. She is very ill because of her food weirdness that it was more appropriate for me to reply in the "Tell us your troubles" thread if anyone is interested.

I have a good friend who was the same way. Everything was sent back repeatedly (not done enough, too runny, too done, overdone, too hard, etc.) until she'd finally give up & say "It's too late now. I'm not paying for this", or if with her husband, forbid him from paying for it. You could tell he was mortified, but used to it.
    With her it was just being ridiculously picky & nitpicking. No food was good enough unless prepared by herself or her mother.
    It got to the point where I avoided going out to eat with her.

Eventually she changed out of this. She moved away & moved back & was different. I don't know if it was age, having raised children, or her husband finally laying down the law to her.
    She's still picky, but now asks for things the way she wants up front & then accepts & eats what she's given, even if sometimes complaining a little to me, but not the waiter.
    I don't mind going out to eat with her at all anymore.

Me, on the other hand, I enjoy just about anything in a restaurant, providing there isn't anything truly wrong with it.
    Punkin likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I have a sister who, every time I have gone to a restaurant with, has sent her food back. It is maddening and embarrassing for everyone at the table. Doesn't matter what she orders, it's never right. She will play with it while everyone else is eating and then catch the waiter and tell them to take it back. Unfailingly she will then claim it is too late for the waiter to bring her anything else because everyone else has half finished their food. I don't know what she gets out of this. We all criticize her for doing this and tell her it is so rude to not allow the waiter to bring her something else she might like. No one in the family will go out to eat with her anymore. Families are weird in different ways.

PS- Phone Girll, I wish I was within driving distance to New Orleans!
    Okay, I don't know any of you and i am making this comment just based on my gut reaction as I was reading this, but that is often the action of someone with an eating disorder. It is a strategy for not having to consume anything.
    Punkin, Ellen, MsDiva2007 and 1 others like this.

DH and I are really questioning the popularity and high ratings of a restaurant that we had the misfortune of eating at recently while on vacation. I have never eaten such a bad meal in my life. DH and I go out to eat every weekend... we love to try new places, we support independent place and we eat all types of cuisine. The place we went to is a fusion Latin/Asian place. The online menu sounded wonderful. As a Latina I was excited to see some of my favorite dishes. What a mess. The place is small about 5 tables, it was humid and hot in the place.... but I wasn't going to let that take away from good food. The food was greasy (tortillas falling apart as you eat them), I kept wanting to wash my hands all night... the rice tasted as if it was reheated several times, my husband's carne asada was gray (it looked boiled), the beans were watery and the chef really liked vinegary veggies. Ugh! His big claim is he is Asian/Latin..... how can he not make good rice? Just a mess.

What I find interesting is after I posted poor reviews on the usual sites, several 5 star ones went up. It really makes me wonder if the cook/owner is padding his reviews because I just can't get it thru my head that people like this stuff. It astounds me.

Oh and to add insult to injury, it was expensive and the prices on the web page were not the same as what we were charged. Imagine $5.95 for two diet cokes?

If anyone is curious as to the place, pm me.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was in Panama City with friends recently and one night we were in the mood for Italian restaurants so I checked out several nearby places online. We ended up choosing Pana Roma because it had excellent user reviews, was moderately priced, and one of my friends specifically wanted veal, which they had on their menu. When we got there, the restaurant wasn't what we pictured at all. It was a tiny place in a strip mall where they only had 12 booths (all filled at the time) and you ordered at the counter, taking the food to the table yourself. We turned right around and went to our second choice for an Italian restaurant.

Sometimes I wish the reviews/ratings for restaurants gave a better indication of the atmosphere of a restaurant and how casual it is. A serve-yourself place might have been fine for lunch but for supper, we were looking for a place where we were seated and served at our table.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I was in Panama City with friends recently and one night we were in the mood for Italian restaurants so I checked out several nearby places online. We ended up choosing Pana Roma because it had excellent user reviews, was moderately priced, and one of my friends specifically wanted veal, which they had on their menu. When we got there, the restaurant wasn't what we pictured at all. It was a tiny place in a strip mall where they only had 12 booths (all filled at the time) and you ordered at the counter, taking the food to the table yourself. We turned right around and went to our second choice for an Italian restaurant.

Sometimes I wish the reviews/ratings for restaurants gave a better indication of the atmosphere of a restaurant and how casual it is. A serve-yourself place might have been fine for lunch but for supper, we were looking for a place where we were seated and served at our table.
    Very true. The resort we stayed at ran a tourism video that featured the restaurant. Carefully shot angles and dim lighting made it look like a cozy (they did say it was small) and charming place. It was basically a trailer. Now I once ate a a somewhat dumpy looking place with counter service and had one of the best and most reasonably priced meals in my life, but that place didn't pretend to be anything that it wasn't.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Some restaurants just aren't ready to be in business. For some reason they don't know or care they are serving food that is not very tasty. Normally, if I eat somewhere twice and the food is not very good, I don't go back and predict they will not stay in business long. Normally, I'm right.

There was one place that I used to frequent years ago. It's a family run barbeque place. The food was good, but their iced tea was always sour. We would tell them EVERY TIME that their tea was sour and get an alternate beverage. They would listen, but never did anything about it. That has continued since the mid 1990's! They are still in business and when I returned there after all these years, my mom warned me to not get the iced tea as it was always sour! lol

+ Reply to Thread