+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

We don't eat out that often. I live in the mid-west now. Good places to eat do exist, but this location is nothing compared to my hometown. Anchorage, AK has SO MANY great restaurants. I also learned there not to judge restaurants by their "cover". Whenever we go back to visit I insist on going for Mexican food here:
    Benny's Food Wagon - photos | Yelp

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

My favorite restaurants, and the ones I go to most, are Japanese.

I just love going out to restaurants in general, the sit-down-and-someone-serves-you kind. Not drive throughs or fast food.
    Probably the reason is that I go out to eat so seldom. To me it's like a rare treat. No cooking, no cleaning, your pick of what you want, & someone even serves it to you & cleans the table. Even if the food isn't fantastic, I still enjoy every minute of it.
    That's one of my favorite things to do on vacation. Getting to go out to restaurants. Especially the chain ones we don't have at home, which is most of the chains.
    A lot of people talk down the chains, but when you don't have them you really appreciate them.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I'm with you, Miss Scarlet. I usually order fish or occasionally liver and onions at restaurants because I don't like cooking them at home. I LOVE a really good restaurant, but since we don't have any nearby, I'll settle for one that does fish well.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

We recently got a BJ's Brewhouse in my area and I tried them for the first time yesterday. I was disappointed because I expected more from them.

I purposefully didn't go the first week because I figured all restaurants start off bumpy (new servers getting used to the menu, lots of crowds as everyone wants to try the place when it first opens, etc) and I wanted to give them a chance to work out some of the kinks before I tried them. I went at 2:30 pm on Sunday, hoping that would be a good tiime to squeeze in after the lunch rush and before the dinner rush. I still had a 25 minute wait for a table. On the way to the table, the hostess forgot to pick up one of the menus so she had to go back to it before showing me to my table.

I ordered a mini classic combo pizza with pepperoni, sausage, and mushrooms, a side salad with blue cheese dressing, and a cream soda. The cream soda was pretty good but it was in a glass with no ice so it got noticeably warmer as I waited for my meal and I didn't get a straw with it. The blue cheese dressing tasted weird. My first impression was that it tasted too sweet and I got a tingle on my tongue when I ate it which I at first thought might be from pepper but then I thought the sweet taste of the dressing reminded me of Miracle Whip and I wondered if the tangy taste might be from horseradish. The sweetness and pepperiness completely overwhelmed the blue cheese so it tasted like sweet ranch dressing. If I go to BJ's again, I will definitely get a different salad dressing!

My blind friends would have problems with the salad because it was served on a flat dish instead of in a bowl (which is very messy for the blind to deal with) and they had big slices of cucumbers and tomatoes in it instead of diced vegetables. I had to cut my tomatoes and cucumbers up before eating them, although I guess I could have picked them up and eaten them like chips.

The pizza was very good. The mini pizza was perfect for me since I'm on a diet and didn't want to splurge to much. Plus, they give you the option of getting a whole-wheat crust on the mini pizza, which I did. It took a long time for my pizza to come out. Since I hadn't been to BJ's before, I didn't know how long it usually took but I know from ordering pizza at pizza restaurants, it generally takes 20 minutes or so. A manager came over and mentioned that I'd been waiting 25 minutes so he'd see what was taking so long and my pizza came out right after that. I had to wonder if my pizza had been sitting for a while and the server just hadn't brought it yet.

Some ladies sitting next to me had problems with their food. One of them had to send hers back (I didn't hear why) and then they gave them the wrong bill. They happened to know a couple sitting on the other side of me and when that couple went to leave, the asked if the girls had gotten jambalaya because it was on their bill and they hadn't gotten it. The girls said that was what they ordered so apparently they got each other's checks.

I'll gave BJ's another chance since I want to try their burgers sometime but I was let down by my first visit.

Wow, I love BJ's and have never had a bad meal there. I'd say this has more to do with your restaurant and it being new than about the chain as a whole. That being said, I don't usually eat burgers or bleu cheese dressing, so I can't speak to that stuff. Lots of the restaurants I go to don't serve their salads in a bowl and they don't cut up all the veggies, so that's not a problem for me. I have had a number of salads and entrees and bites of other things there and everything was delicious. I've always had great service too.

I'd wait a while before going back. Maybe they just have to get their "sea legs."

Some of my menu favorites are the BBQ Chicken Chop Salad, the Chicken a la Fresca and the Maui Glazed Pork Chop. All wonderful.

BJ's is one of the only chain restaurants that I'll go to unapologetically. In my city, we have so many independent restaurants that I wouldn't have to ever eat at a chain and I'd have PLENTY of options, so I only go to chains I really like. I haven't set foot inside an Olive Garden, El Torito or other super large chain in a very long time.
    djm129 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yeah, a lot of restaurants do serve salads on plates. My dad is blind and he often had problems with that. If we were going to a place we'd been to before and knew they served the salad on a plate, he'd ask for his salad in a bowl. It just helps it stay together so he doesn't chase his lettuce off his plate trying to spear it with his fork.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

We have a BJ's Brewhouse near us. I've had 3 experiences there, none great. The first time, I went to buy a gift certificate for my son's birthday. I purposefully waited until after the dinner rush - got there about 9 - stood at the hostess stand for 10 min and no one came to take care of me, so I left. I don't remember what I had the first time I ate there. The second time, I had the French dip sandwich.It was good. Both my meals there have been okay, but nothing special. I wouldn't avoid going there if someone wanted to go, but I much prefer our local brew pub.

Pikachu, if you got a tingly feeling on your tongue, it's possible that the salad dressing had started to ferment. It's like mini pop rocks on your tongue. (Don't ask me how I know that!)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Catching up on this thread...I've been to the BJ's by me twice. The first time was a bit odd when it was new, but the second time was pretty good. I had the tomato soup & grilled ham/cheese half sandwich. Nothing exciting, mind you, but they were perfectly executed, especially the soup. I make killer tomato soup so I'm pretty picky. Theirs had the right texture and spice (not hot, but flavorful).

Today I went down to New Orleans with my parents to meet up with my sister, BIL, and a cousin and we went to this highly rated BBQ place called The Joint. It's been on the Food Network and was touted as a top 10 in the country BBQ restaurant. I got the pulled pork sandwich (because I hate ribs and brisket, and love pulled pork) and was soooo disappointed. I couldn't say that at the table because EVERYONE in my family takes it as a personal insult (why I don't know, they didn't cook the food) if someone has a problem with a restaurant, so I'm sharing with you good people. I have no idea why this place has such great reviews. There should NOT be bones in a pulled pork sandwich and the pork should be somewhat moist, not dry as a bone. Cooked collard greens should be at least warm, if not hot, when they come out of the kitchen, and tender. Theirs were crispy and cold. Greens don't need to be cooked until paste, but cooked enough to be tender; if I'd wanted crispy greens, I'd have ordered a salad. What weirded me out the most was the iced tea situation. It's an order at the counter, get a cup kind of place. But if you want iced tea, like most of us did, and if you actually want ICE in the tea, you have to open a ice chest and scoop it out with a communal scoop. Needless to say, my iced tea was warm. Warmer than the collard greens.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Catching up on this thread...I've been to the BJ's by me twice. The first time was a bit odd when it was new, but the second time was pretty good. I had the tomato soup & grilled ham/cheese half sandwich. Nothing exciting, mind you, but they were perfectly executed, especially the soup. I make killer tomato soup so I'm pretty picky. Theirs had the right texture and spice (not hot, but flavorful).

Today I went down to New Orleans with my parents to meet up with my sister, BIL, and a cousin and we went to this highly rated BBQ place called The Joint. It's been on the Food Network and was touted as a top 10 in the country BBQ restaurant. I got the pulled pork sandwich (because I hate ribs and brisket, and love pulled pork) and was soooo disappointed. I couldn't say that at the table because EVERYONE in my family takes it as a personal insult (why I don't know, they didn't cook the food) if someone has a problem with a restaurant, so I'm sharing with you good people. I have no idea why this place has such great reviews. There should NOT be bones in a pulled pork sandwich and the pork should be somewhat moist, not dry as a bone. Cooked collard greens should be at least warm, if not hot, when they come out of the kitchen, and tender. Theirs were crispy and cold. Greens don't need to be cooked until paste, but cooked enough to be tender; if I'd wanted crispy greens, I'd have ordered a salad. What weirded me out the most was the iced tea situation. It's an order at the counter, get a cup kind of place. But if you want iced tea, like most of us did, and if you actually want ICE in the tea, you have to open a ice chest and scoop it out with a communal scoop. Needless to say, my iced tea was warm. Warmer than the collard greens.
    Maybe they see it as a criticism of their taste? That probably means you had to suffer through eating most of your meal to keep the peace, right?

I'm with you about the pulled pork, the greens and UGH, the ICE. Communal ice? ICK! I'd be having warm tea as well. Sorry it was such a disappointing meal.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread