+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

My favorite restaurant is a tapas place as well. Good taste Gnomie. It's not far from where I live and if you are ever in Seattle and get a chance to try it out, I'd highly recommend it:

Harvest Vine
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

My last experience at Red Lobster included extra salt too. When I last worked in food service (10 years ago) a very high percentage of the food was already prepared. Either frozen, mixes, canned etc. There was very little made from scratch food prepared. I expect only fine dining/ and indepently owned place do homemade stuff anymore.

We have a steak place called Longhorn's that has good food. But really not that many chains here.

buglover, found a recipe for you:

On its own, room temperature shortening does a poor job creating the light, airy texture you want from good biscuits, and it contributes little in the way of flavor. So, we'll invite some cold butter along on the trip-with grated cheddar cheese and a little garlic powder. Now you'll be well on your way to delicious Cheddar Bay. Wherever that is.

Ingredients:
    2 ½ cups Bisquick baking mix

¾ cup cold whole milk

4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese

Bush on Top:
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes

½ teaspoon garlic powder

pinch salt

Directions:
    1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine Bisquick with cold butter in a medium bowl using a pastry cutter or a large fork. You don't want to mix too thoroughly. There should be small chunks of butter in there that are about the size of peas. Add cheddar cheese, milk, and ¼ teaspoon garlic. Mix by hand until combined, but don't over mix.

3. Drop approximately ¼-cup portions of the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet using an ice cream scoop.

4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits begin to turn light brown.

5. When you take the biscuits out of the oven, melt 2 tablespoons butter is a small bowl in your microwave. Stir in ½ teaspoon garlic powder and the dried parsley flakes. Use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Use up all of the butter. Makes one dozen biscuits.
    Last edited by livin4reality; 09-04-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: eta
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Betty Crocker has a Bisquick cheese and garlic biscuit mix that is super easy to make (just add water) and tastes just like the Red Lobster ones, so no more need for me to choke down overpriced RL food just to have the biscuits.

I LOVE the Melting Pot. Just love it. I think the food is good, but more importantly, it is a meal hubby and I can't rush through, so we get to spend quality time together, uninterrupted. We'll go there when we realize things have been too hectic and we are missing each other.
    Wag more, bark less

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3188796;
    About 10 years ago, all the Red Lobsters in Québec closed down. I was saddened because I liked going there. Fast forward to last month; we were in the States and close by was a Red Lobster. We were all excited and decided to go. Well the food was disappointing, to put it mildly. Everything was so salty, including the veggies, that it was pretty much inedible. I don't think I'll ever set foot in a Red Lobster again.

I do prefer eating at restaurants that are not food chains, though. I find that the quality of the food is usually better.
    The only thing I like at Red Lobster is the cheddar garlic bisquits. All their seafood is frozen. I've been fortunate enough to have always lived in places that have fresh seafood that beats Red Lobster hands down. I try to avoid it if I can. In fact, I probably haven't eaten at a RL in about 6 years.

I love Macaroni Grill too. Their chicken scallopine is one of my very favorite things. However, Greenville is restaurant crazy and there are so many GREAT locally owned restaurants that we hardly ever eat at the chains anymore. We used to eat at Chili's about once a month. I haven't eaten at a Chili's in close to 2 years.

I've kinda gotten tired of the chains. Like I said, I've found some really great local places that put the chains to shame.

If we go out then it's to The Lazy Goat, Oyster's on the West End, Monterrey, Cornbread to Caviar, Smoke on the Water, The Mellow Mushroom, La Cubanita, Takosushi, Pete's, Pita House or other favorites like that.

I just discovered the GREATEST place about 45 min. from here and 15 min. from anywhere. It is the only building for miles and is across from a goat farm. It's called Grits to Groceries. Google it. It is AWESOME and it's always packed even though it's in the middle of NOWHERE.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for the bisquit recipes!!

I've heard rave reviews on The Melting Pot. There's one here in Cali about an hour and a half from my house. The only problem is that you have to have reservations well in advance and we never know when all the teenagers are going to be gone so we can go just the two of us.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

The Melting Pot is good. I haven't eaten at the one here, but the one we have eaten at in Florida was fabulous.
    So make a date night and tell the teens they are on their own.

I've tried making the Bisquick-version Red Lobster cheese biscuits, but mine are never as good. Maybe the RL biscuits use a ton more butter. They're definitely the main reason I ever go there, though. Once in college, my roommate's salad at Red Lobster had a large, dead BUG in it. *shudder* My mom loves RL, though, mostly because she loves shrimp and her town has very few non-chain restaurants (and no Red Lobster; that's an out-of-town treat for her).

I rarely eat at chains here where I live, because, as others have said, there are just so many good non-chain restaurants here. Plus my neighborhood is full of the non-chain local type places, whereas the chains are further out in the suburbs. So non-chain deliciousness I can walk to, vs. chain stuff I have to drive to = no contest.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3188828;
    My last experience at Red Lobster included extra salt too. When I last worked in food service (10 years ago) a very high percentage of the food was already prepared. Either frozen, mixes, canned etc. There was very little made from scratch food prepared. I expect only fine dining/ and indepently owned place do homemade stuff anymore.

We have a steak place called Longhorn's that has good food. But really not that many chains here.

buglover, found a recipe for you:

On its own, room temperature shortening does a poor job creating the light, airy texture you want from good biscuits, and it contributes little in the way of flavor. So, we'll invite some cold butter along on the trip-with grated cheddar cheese and a little garlic powder. Now you'll be well on your way to delicious Cheddar Bay. Wherever that is.

Ingredients:
    2 cups Bisquick baking mix

cup cold whole milk

4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)

teaspoon garlic powder

1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese

Bush on Top:
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

teaspoon dried parsley flakes

teaspoon garlic powder

pinch salt

Directions:
    1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine Bisquick with cold butter in a medium bowl using a pastry cutter or a large fork. You don't want to mix too thoroughly. There should be small chunks of butter in there that are about the size of peas. Add cheddar cheese, milk, and teaspoon garlic. Mix by hand until combined, but don't over mix.

3. Drop approximately -cup portions of the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet using an ice cream scoop.

4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits begin to turn light brown.

5. When you take the biscuits out of the oven, melt 2 tablespoons butter is a small bowl in your microwave. Stir in teaspoon garlic powder and the dried parsley flakes. Use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Use up all of the butter. Makes one dozen biscuits.
    I remember seeing this recipe before, but I've never tried it. You should also post it over in the new Just Recipes thread.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3188880;
    I've tried making the Bisquick-version Red Lobster cheese biscuits, but mine are never as good. Maybe the RL biscuits use a ton more butter. They're definitely the main reason I ever go there, though. Once in college, my roommate's salad at Red Lobster had a large, dead BUG in it. *shudder* My mom loves RL, though, mostly because she loves shrimp and her town has very few non-chain restaurants (and no Red Lobster; that's an out-of-town treat for her).

I rarely eat at chains here where I live, because, as others have said, there are just so many good non-chain restaurants here. Plus my neighborhood is full of the non-chain local type places, whereas the chains are further out in the suburbs. So non-chain deliciousness I can walk to, vs. chain stuff I have to drive to = no contest.

Bisquick makes a garlic cheddar bisquit mix. It comes in a pouch and makes about 8-10 biscuits. I find it to be fairly good. had it the other night. Not as good as the RL bisquits, but better than my efforts to use bisquit to make my own cheddar garlic ones by adding the cheese and garlic. The pouch has it all. And it's in the baking aisle.

MRD

I know Olive Garden stuff is frozen as they donated food to a volunteer project I worked on a few years ago and it all came in big foil pans with the instructions for heating it up. Kind of like Stouffer's Lasagna, but better. I can't remember everything they gave us, but we did have lasagna and a couple other main entees, salad and breadsticks. We got the bread dough refrigerated with the instructions on how to bake it.

+ Reply to Thread