+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

MRD

Re: Restaurants

The city went smoke free here last year and now when you go out like we did last night, you have to walk through the knot of smokers standing the required 10 feet from the door of the bar or restaurant. It always looks like some strange gang, hanging around outside the doorways here.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I was glad as well when they went smoke free here but I don't believe there is any stipulation where they have to be so far away from the entrance because everywhere we go they're always RIGHT outside the door, so you go through a nice cloud right before you go in the restaurant

I am not sure if "In and Out" is considered a "restaurant" but I finally ordered from their "secret" menu today and I was amazed at how good it was! I ordered the Mustard Arilled animal style double double! Yummy! You gotta try it next time you go to an "In and Out" or if you have one near you. My daughter and her friends get the Animal Fries but I just get cheese on mine.

We have Dick's here in Seattle, which a lot of people (who have been to In & Out and Dick's) say is way better. It's very simple-tiny menu. Four burgers, fries, shakes, sundaes, drinks. I've lost count of the number of times I went there with my youth group and we ended up playing Frisbee in the parking lot-or going there after the beach to get the $1.40 fries.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I used to be a carhop at a drive in restaurant called Burgermaster in Olympia WA. I think there were some in the Seattle area. The one in Olympia closed down, which is sad because the burgers were dang good. Cooked when you ordered it.

I love going to locally owned restaurants and try to stay away from corporate restaurants, I used to be a server at The Olive Garden a decade ago and I my stomach still churns when my friends want to go there.

I once worked at a hotel and every tuesday we would get a tour bus (or two or three) come in and they all would aske me where to eat and I would always recommend the local italian restaurant 2 blocks away, because it was very good and some of them would ask me about Chili's right across the street. My response was "Have you eaten at Chili's before?" they say yes and then I say "well, then you know what its like!"

one tuesday I guess they all listened to me and 2 busses full of people went to the italian restaurant because the restaurant called me and said "THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!" I guess they had nobody come in until the tour bus people came in. The next day the owner called my manager and had us all come to over for a free meal. They bought us 2 bottles of wine, 2 appetizers, dinner and dessert for 8 of us. It was soooo gooood.

That's great! I don't understand why people choose to go to chain restaurants. There are so many great restaurants in the city I live in and there is absolutely no reason to go to a chain restaurant. I could see if you live in an area where there is no choice but living in SF, it's a culinary dream!!!

My kids like to stop at In and Out sometimes for a quick drive through burger and an order of animal fries but other than that, we do not go to chain restaurants at all. The last time I was in an Olive Garden or Chilis was because someone was hosting some sort of shower there.

MRD

People go to chains because they know them, they may not know about the local resturants if they are traveling and not knowing what's good or not good.
    We have so many great restaurants here, that I rarely eat at a chain anymore.

Tousselchick, that's great that the resturant got the business and gave you a thank you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

it was very nice of them and I kept on sending the tour bus people there.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3502486;
    People go to chains because they know them, they may not know about the local resturants if they are traveling and not knowing what's good or not good.
    There are many books and guides that you can look at unless of course you are just driving through and need a quick bite but even then just asking around will more than likely steer you in the right direction like how Toussel described. Zagat guides are great.

A friend of mine just returned from a trip to Savannah and Charleston. She has just discovered the Food Network and has taken to cooking and baking as her new hobby. One of the places on top of her list to visit was Paula Deen's restaurant, "The Lady and Sons". When she asked the front desk clerk at her hotel about it, she said the woman didn't look too impressed but did not say anything negative but gave her the name of another restaurant she thought she would enjoy more. Anyway, they went to take a peek at Paula Deen's restaurant. She said it was just a buffet of greasy gross looking food and it was really expensive for what it was. Needless to say, she did not eat there but ate at the place that was recommended and loved it. My friend brought back all the menus from the restaurants and after looking at the menu items at "The Lady and Sons" I can understand why she chose not to eat there! She did say that the gift shop at the restaurant was booming and sold everything from pot holders and cookbooks to pots and pans.

What is bizarre to me is that people continue to dine at chain restaurants even when there are so many other choices. The one and only Olive Garden in SF is always jammed packed and the line is always out the door. We had a work function there once and we waited over 90 minutes for a table for 12 or so. They wouldn't even take our reservation!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3503570;
    . . . Paula Deen's restaurant. She said it was just a buffet of greasy gross looking food . . .
    So in lieu of a salad bar, there's a butter, heavy cream, bacon grease, and lard bar?
    . . . She did say that the gift shop at the restaurant was booming and sold everything from pot holders and cookbooks to pots and pans. . .
    And a lovely selection of statin drugs, too?
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-16-2009 at 03:04 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread