+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

There could be a good reason for Pappa John's to run out of pepperoni besides the recession. When we had our pizza place, we had 4 weeks in a row when our supplier showed up without the flour we ordered. Now, you don't just go to a local store and pick up 500 pounds of flour! We called the company and they had our flour sent by UPS, which I'm sure cost them a pretty penny. The following week the same thing happened. Turned out it was some kind of computer glitch in their company where the order wasn't making it to the warehouse or something. It took them a month to solve the problem, but they did ship our flour at their expense.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3389964;
    Red Lobster seafood is frozen. As are many of the entrees from Olive Garden.

The thing behind the chains, is that it is the same in Iowa as it it is in Maine or California. It's supposed to take the guess work out, so you know you will always get the same food/quality whereever you go.

Unfortunately it also means that you don't get GREAT food like you do at local restaurants. I try really hard not to eat at chains as we have so many great local places.

We ordered from Papa John's the other night and it was loaded with pepperoni. I was thinking that I must have gotten Doxie's pepperoni.
    I quit eating at chain restaurants a long time ago. I got a bag in my alfredo once at Red Lobster and decided not to go back ever again. The mom and pop chains have fresh food and it is all cooked to order. If I want to heat a frozen meal, I will just do it here at home!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3389172;
    I'm confused by why you never went to Red Lobster. It's all fish and seafood there. There may be a token meat entree on the menu, but otherwise all fish/seafood. I've been to Seattle numerous times and you're fortunate to have it right there. But, some of the stuff at Red Lobster is good.
    The main reason is because we are lucky to have the restaurant a mile or so from our house that has been in the community for many years and no matter what, we always get good food. I think maybe three times in 20+ years my dad has not been satisfied-and I'm 20, have been going there all my life, and always leave satisfied and stuffed to the gills. If we go to a different restaurant, we have a few other restaurants in the area that we go to, because they are all locally-based. That is one of the big things. Every time we go to a chain restaurant, my dad is unsatisfied. Usually, though, when we go out to eat as a family, we go to that restaurant because the food is good, the atmosphere is good, and the service is good. I don't mean to sound condescending...but I just prefer not to eat at a chain restaurant most of the time.

The other reason is because I do not eat any meat, poultry, or seafood. Sure, I could get a meatless entree, but my brother will not eat seafood, my mum can't have certain things, and my dad is notoriously picky. I can't even be close to seafood because it starts to make me sick, unless it's salmon. Instead of going to a restaurant for fish, what my parents will do is they'll get a salmon fillet from Costco and then cook it on the grill, with some home-grown vegetables (we grow tomatoes, red potatoes, and so forth) and some rosemary rolls.

I do have to say though, I am big into teriyaki and Thai food, because I get huge portions for lot a whole lot of moolah, and I do like supporting the mom-and-pop operations. I have a teriyaki place that's a mile walk from my house and the vegetarian meal I order is less than $8 but I get over a pound of rice, vegetables, and of course, sauce.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

i'm in l.a. my fave restaurant is the versailles in culver city.

Husband and I have a date tonight! the first in a long time due to cleaning up our finances.
    We got a gift card to the best restaurant around. Everything is organic, local, seasonal, heirloom and made to order.
    They say you should expect to be there 2 hours because they don't start making the next course until you have finished the one you are on.
    I am so excited. I think I'm going to have the Butternut Squash Ravioli. I'll fill you in on all the details of what we had and how amazing it was after the fact. We're eating at 6 so we have time to get in line for the 9:15 showing of Star Trek *I hope*

~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3441266;
    Husband and I have a date tonight! the first in a long time due to cleaning up our finances.
    We got a gift card to the best restaurant around. Everything is organic, local, seasonal, heirloom and made to order.
    They say you should expect to be there 2 hours because they don't start making the next course until you have finished the one you are on.
    I am so excited. I think I'm going to have the Butternut Squash Ravioli. I'll fill you in on all the details of what we had and how amazing it was after the fact. We're eating at 6 so we have time to get in line for the 9:15 showing of Star Trek *I hope*

Lucky girl....I hope you had a good time and brought back doggie bags for us.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3441266;

Well, how was it?
    :tapping foot:

It was just amazing.

Almond & Brown Sugar Baked Brie Accompanied with fresh fruit and baked baguette.

Mr. Nerd had the Filet of Beef (Pittsburgh style) in a pool of cabernet demi glace & topped with a caramelized shallot and blue cheese butter.
    Accompanied with a creamy potato and celeriac mash. I ate about half of his beef '

I had the Butternut Squash Ravioli
    Topped with a creamy Gorgonzola sauce and minced red peppers.

We both had a side of the vegetable which was actually baby green beans and fern fronds!
    I had never heard of eating fern fronds before but they were delicious.

Between the courses we were given a tiny portion of fresh made lemon tyme sorbet. And when our meal was completed we were given complimentary drinks. Oh gosh, what were they? I forget. It was some sort of iced creme liquor. It too was very nice.

All in all it was a serious decadent treat for the senses. I only wish I could have kept eating it all night
    but my stomach and my wallet had limits

I will actually be writing a thank you letter to the restaurant for their high standards and
    impeccable attention to detail.

If anyone ever comes to St Lawrence county NY I highly reccomend finding your way to the 1844 House. I have been there now 3 times and never been let down.
    Last edited by ClosetNerd; 05-09-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Fiddlehead ferns are a true Springtime delight! Vermont Country Store used to carry pickled ones, so you could enjoy all year, but I guess the provider no longer makes them.

Glad you had such a great experience.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3442068;
    It was just amazing.

Almond & Brown Sugar Baked Brie Accompanied with fresh fruit and baked baguette.

Mr. Nerd had the Filet of Beef (Pittsburgh style) in a pool of cabernet demi glace & topped with a caramelized shallot and blue cheese butter.
    Accompanied with a creamy potato and celeriac mash. I ate about half of his beef '

I had the Butternut Squash Ravioli
    Topped with a creamy Gorgonzola sauce and minced red peppers.

We both had a side of the vegetable which was actually baby green beans and fern fronds!
    I had never heard of eating fern fronds before but they were delicious.

Between the courses we were given a tiny portion of fresh made lemon tyme sorbet. And when our meal was completed we were given complimentary drinks. Oh gosh, what were they? I forget. It was some sort of iced creme liquor. It too was very nice.

All in all it was a serious decadent treat for the senses. I only wish I could have kept eating it all night
    but my stomach and my wallet had limits

I will actually be writing a thank you letter to the restaurant for their high standards and
    impeccable attention to detail.

If anyone ever comes to St Lawrence county NY I highly reccomend finding your way to the 1844 House. I have been there now 3 times and never been let down.
    OMG. My mouth is totally watering. Sounds like you had great food and great service. Perfect combination. Glad you enjoyed.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread