+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

doxie, maybe it's regional-- we ordered an "all the meats" a week or so ago, and I could not believe what we got; it had 2-3 pepperoni, couple of ham bits, and a small sprinkle of ground beef (I think--not enough of it there to tell) and no sausage that I could find. I think with "the recession" going on this franchise owner might be trying to save money, or maybe the teens working in there weren't paying attention to what they were doing, but anyway, I'll give them one more chance and then switch pizza places.

norealityhere, Red Lobster uses seafood shipped from 'wherever' to all over the country, so their product is all the same. i'm not sure if it's frozen or not, but anyway,it's not as fresh as what you get in locally owned coastal places because the local place normally buys seafood off the boat in most cases. Still, RL is ok, though we have a place near here that I like better--has a driver that trucks in fish from the coast every day. I am in the habit of asking, even in the 'local' places, whether the fish or seafood is "local", as if a certain item is out of season, they may sub in forzen and even farmed seafood. Which is not the end of the world, but if I'm paying for fresh and local, that's what I expect to get. There is a difference!
    Last edited by queenb; 03-22-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

After having shrimp fresh "off the boat" in Corpus Christi, I've never been happy with any other seafoods. I am more midwest in location, so there is NOTHING that makes me happy in the seafood department.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Has anyone ever been to Spangles? Wichita Restaurants - Spangles Menu - Burgers Fries and Shakes

Their commericals are obnoxious but the burgers are pretty good.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3389468;
    doxie, maybe it's regional-- we ordered an "all the meats" a week or so ago, and I could not believe what we got; it had 2-3 pepperoni, couple of ham bits, and a small sprinkle of ground beef (I think--not enough of it there to tell) and no sausage that I could find. I think with "the recession" going on this franchise owner might be trying to save money, or maybe the teens working in there weren't paying attention to what they were doing, but anyway, I'll give them one more chance and then switch pizza places.
    It sounds like they may be just dumping whatever they have left on the pizzas! We got canadian bacon due to the pepperoni outage, but there was not very much of that on the pizza either. We'd also ordered mushrooms and black olives. There were about three olives on the entire thing. We don't order pizza often because we have two favorite eat-in places nearby, but that night it was late and we were hungry!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I stopped Papa Johns years ago. Consistency not there.

I love Papa John's pizza. When I have received a shabby pizza, I've drafted a note of complaint, and then they start comping you pizzas. The comped pizzas are always better because I've told them what was lacking on my previous pizza, and then they overdo it....much to my happiness...and they are really good, then.

I've also found that if I show up in the store to order my pizza, that I can watch how much of what they are putting on my order and request more of certain ingredients...and they have always complied.

If you have a Papa Murphy's in your area, that is a really terrific business. They put your pizza together, and you cook it at home; they make sure you get as much of whichever ingredients you want on it, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a feeling that the pepperoni and bread "shortages" are probably due to the recession/depression. Not that there are actual shortages, but whoever has the fun job of purchasing has most likely been advised to estimate low rather than high to minimize waste and whatnot.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Red Lobster seafood is frozen. As are many of the entrees from Olive Garden.

The thing behind the chains, is that it is the same in Iowa as it it is in Maine or California. It's supposed to take the guess work out, so you know you will always get the same food/quality whereever you go.

Unfortunately it also means that you don't get GREAT food like you do at local restaurants. I try really hard not to eat at chains as we have so many great local places.

We ordered from Papa John's the other night and it was loaded with pepperoni. I was thinking that I must have gotten Doxie's pepperoni.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I totally am not a pizza fan. I wish I were because that and Chinese food are about the only thing delivered around here. I am going to make homemade pizza for dinner tonight. At least that way I have a bit of control over the toppings/crust.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I stopped taking delivery on foods since I had a really creepy, extremely rude man show up at my door. I don't mind cutting them out of their stupid tip. Sorry 'bout your luck, buddy.

+ Reply to Thread