+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

That does look like a great place MRD! Have you tried the "fried green tomato blt?".... There is a place here that occasionally has that on the menu and it is SO good!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3296100;

They call them meat and three restaurants here because you choose your meat and then you get to choose 3 sides. They are always locally owned home cooking type restaurants. The best kind.

ETA: Pasta is rarely included as a side. This is the South you know.
    That's what I assumed but I never heard that before. Is that exclusive to the South?

MRD

I don't know Bunny. I see them a lot in the South, but in my travels outside of the South, I haven't encountered them. Doesn't mean they don't exist. In Florida we had them, but they were not called "meat and three". The term was new to me when I moved to SC.

I have not had the fried green tomato blt, but it sounds good. I have had a hamburger with a fried green tomato on it and it was good.

Speaking of burgers, TGI Friday's has a new pimento cheese burger I'm dying to try. I adore pimento cheese and try it everywhere I see it on a menu.

And quite honestly while the restuarant menu I posted, the food is good, I'm NOT a fan of their fried green tomatos. They are soggy. So I order other stuff there. And the menu changes daily. That was just the menu from Thurs. The sides pretty much stay the same, but usually the meat and dessert changes on a daily basis.

The best fried green tomatos in town come from a place called Smoke on the Water. They also do great pimento cheese.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3296100;
    A meat and three is a restuarant that offers an entree like fried chicken, pot roast, country fried steak, etc. and you get to choose 3 sides usually from a very long list. I always like the sides better than the meat.
    Sides usually include mashed potatos, fried okra, beans of some sort like blacked eyed peas, butter beans, etc., creamed corn, sweet potatos, squash casserole, salad, jello, baked apples, potato salad, cole slaw, etc.

They call them meat and three restaurants here because you choose your meat and then you get to choose 3 sides. They are always locally owned home cooking type restaurants. The best kind.

ETA: Pasta is rarely included as a side. This is the South you know.

MRD and Coltnlasma,

Sorry, I forgot you guys are from the South.
    The West seems to have pasta on every menu.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3299517;
    [/B]

MRD and Coltnlasma,

Sorry, I forgot you guys are from the South.
    The West seems to have pasta on every menu.
    yeah, we only get offered pasta as a side if we go to Italian restaruants.

I think it's interesting how different parts of the country eat different sides.

I once heard that the Campbell's Soup Company actually tweaks the regular tomato soup for different parts of the country. That if you buy it in Atlanta, it's different than in New Orleans and those are different than in Boston, etc. Don't know if that's true or not, but it does make sense. Supposedly it's just seasoned differenty but without any note of it on the label. Not like they put: Lousiana Cajun Tomato Soup on it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm laughing at all the Red Lobster hate...I've never been there because a) I'm a non-meat eater, and b) I live in Seattle where there is no shortage on seafood in restaurants, so I grew up eating halibut/chips and during the summer, salmon three times a week sometimes. (Never farmed...once you eat fresh fish for a while, you will get sick after eating farmed) Also because my dad is in the wine business, he goes to dinner at some of the nicer restaurants in the area, and he can't really go to any of the chains. Last time he went to a chain restaurant, the service was SO bad and the food worse...he gave the manager an earfull.

As far as my favourite restaurants go, I'll always love Red Robin because I do love a good Boca burger and I get the mushroom burger but with sauteed onions and then a Boca patty instead of the meat. Also love fried mozzarella, onion rings, milkshakes...and it's a fun atmosphere. There's an Italian chain here called Pallino, and they do a darn good fettucini alfredo in the right size portion-enough to fill you up but not enough to make you full to the point of nausea. Only complaint is they give you so little bread, but it's good and it's FAST. I'm a huge Chipotle fan as well, back when I worked in a mall I would have Chipotle a lot, sometimes 3-4 times a week. There's a restaurant about a mile and a half from my house called Scott's and my parents have taken me there ever since I was a baby, so I'm very familiar with everyone and everything, and they always treat us so well when we come in as a family. I love their French Fries (way better than any fast food, and you get way more-plus they are salted to my tastes and only $1.50), their fettucini, and their cobblers that are as big around as a CD.

Least favourite? Probably would have to have been the restaurant at the Space Needle. You're pretty much paying for the view and the bragging rights of saying that you ate in a rotating restaurant, that you ate at the Space Needle...
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3389167;
    I'm laughing at all the Red Lobster hate...I've never been there because a) I'm a non-meat eater, and b) I live in Seattle where there is no shortage on seafood in restaurants, so I grew up eating halibut/chips and during the summer, salmon three times a week sometimes. (Never farmed...once you eat fresh fish for a while, you will get sick after eating farmed) Also because my dad is in the wine business, he goes to dinner at some of the nicer restaurants in the area, and he can't really go to any of the chains. Last time he went to a chain restaurant, the service was SO bad and the food worse...he gave the manager an earfull.

As far as my favourite restaurants go, I'll always love Red Robin because I do love a good Boca burger and I get the mushroom burger but with sauteed onions and then a Boca patty instead of the meat. Also love fried mozzarella, onion rings, milkshakes...and it's a fun atmosphere. There's an Italian chain here called Pallino, and they do a darn good fettucini alfredo in the right size portion-enough to fill you up but not enough to make you full to the point of nausea. Only complaint is they give you so little bread, but it's good and it's FAST. I'm a huge Chipotle fan as well, back when I worked in a mall I would have Chipotle a lot, sometimes 3-4 times a week. There's a restaurant about a mile and a half from my house called Scott's and my parents have taken me there ever since I was a baby, so I'm very familiar with everyone and everything, and they always treat us so well when we come in as a family. I love their French Fries (way better than any fast food, and you get way more-plus they are salted to my tastes and only $1.50), their fettucini, and their cobblers that are as big around as a CD.

Least favourite? Probably would have to have been the restaurant at the Space Needle. You're pretty much paying for the view and the bragging rights of saying that you ate in a rotating restaurant, that you ate at the Space Needle...
    I'm confused by why you never went to Red Lobster. It's all fish and seafood there. There may be a token meat entree on the menu, but otherwise all fish/seafood. I've been to Seattle numerous times and you're fortunate to have it right there. But, some of the stuff at Red Lobster is good.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 03-21-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3389167;
    As far as my favourite restaurants go, I'll always love Red Robin
    I have vowed never to go back to Red Robin. The last time I went, I ordered a mushroom burger and the dang mushrooms were canned. If I am paying $8 for a mushroom burger, I expect fresh mushrooms. If I want canned, I will get a mushroom burger at Artic Circle.

I thought this was funny. We ordered a pizza last week and were informed that they (Papa John's) were OUT of pepperoni.... How does that happen? Are we facing a pepperoni shortage that I am unaware of?

Then, I was telling a friend about this and she said she went to Subway a few weeks ago and they were out of bread!!!!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I've been to a local Subway here twice, only to be informed by the walking zit behind the counter that they were out of bread. Not just the parmesan oregano I wanted, but ALL bread. I asked him why they were even open, and he looked all kinds of confused.

I went to Quiznos, where they actually had bread.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

+ Reply to Thread