+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Restaurants

Re: Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3220616;
    I've heard some good things about it Karna.
    Thanks Unk, I'll report back on how it is.

Well Eddie Merlot's was wonderful, fancy schmancy! Service was impeccable, and fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3188660;
    There's a little hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese restaurant in Chicago on Broadway called Dong Ky. It had the best Pho soup and is so cheap. If you go in with $10, you can feed two people and leave full. If you have $20...well...

Least favorite? I have so many...
    There's this Greek place on the corner of Broadway and Irving Park that's not exactly haute cuisine but, oh, their Greek chicken! Drool! Oh, and we haven't found a decent Chinese place since we moved out of Wrigleyville and it's been 5 years now.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

We went to a restaurant called Nob Hill Cafe in San Francisco last weekend. It happened to be a rare warm San Franciscan night and we lucked out with a parking spot across the street for free! Parking on Nob Hill is almost impossible so I knew it was going to be a great evening! Nob Hill Cafe is an Italian restaurant that serves the locals in the neighborhood but sometimes tourists happen upon it. They do not take reservations and the average wait is 90 minutes. We were fortunate and were seated right away as we arrived at 10 minutes to 6pm on a Friday night. I have to tell you the food is out of this world good.
    We started with two salads, there were three of us and we split it 3 ways. A calamari salad and a mozzarella and tomato salad. Both excellent. Next we ordered their special which was Gnocchi in Grappa Lemon Cream Sauce. I first I was reluctant because Grappa is not my thing. I have to say this was the best Gnocchi I have ever had in my entire life! My friend said she wanted to drink the sauce it was so good. We ordered another one along with an Eggplant Penne dish. The eggplant was served in chunks that melted in your mouth along with penne and a light tomato sauce baked together in a ceramic dish. My mouth is watering thinking about both the gnochhi and the eggplant dish. Of course we topped it off with two desserts. One was a chocolate ganache dessert and the other a frozen gelato pie. both were good but honestly I could have eaten more gnocchi for dessert!
    Anyway, the best part of Nob Hill Cafe is that the Brown twins dine there every Tuesday and Friday evening. In case you have never heard of the Brown twins, they are part of San Francisco's history. Anytime, you have an opportunity to visit San Francisco and are free on a Tues or Friday evening, stop by the Nob Hill Cafe and enjoy the gnocchi along with a glimpse into old San Francisco. If you're lucky you will be seated next to the twins. The total tab for the three of us which included a bottle of wine and tip was $150.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MRD

Wow, that sounds fabulous!!! I am jealous. So tell us more about the Brown twins.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Oh, the Brown twins..The funny thing is they haven't changed one bit since the first time I saw them as a little grew growing up in San Francisco! That was in the 60's and 70's!!
    Marian and Vivian Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    They have a window seat at the Nob Hill Cafe each Tues and Friday evening and usually order spaghetti bolognese. The bowl they serve it in overpowers them, as they are quite petite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MRD

Oh my gosh, they are adorable and what a story. Since my sister no longer speaks to anyone in our family, it makes me wish I had a sister that appears to be as fun as these two appear to be.

Aww, a lot of hating on Red Lobster. Have you guys tried their stuffed mushrooms? They are to die for!
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

MRD

Red Lobster is ok. I'm from Florida and live in SC and those are 2 states that have access to really great and fresh seafood, so there's always better seafood restuarants around than Red Lobster.

And most of RL's food comes frozen and they just heat it up in their kitchen. Lot of chain restaurants are like that. Olive Garden is another one that does that.

If I didnt' have access to great seafood restaurants, then I would probably eat at Red Lobster.

I had the most amazing brunch today at a Pittsburgh restaurant named Lidia's. If you're ever in town, I HIGHLY recommend it. Their Sunday brunch is an entree, an antipasto buffet, and a dessert buffet. I had grilled octupus with roasted potatoes, olives, green beans, and red onions as my entree. YUM! All of the antipasto choices were so yummy, and the cannoli were to die for. You also get a choice of a mimosa or bloody mary to drink. $22 for all that, you can't beat it!

I'm off to take a nap now.

+ Reply to Thread