+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 91 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Premium Member

Just Recipes

Post your favorite recipes here. Please limit the discussion to the recipes that are posted here. Enjoy!

Re: Just Recipes

Yay, I get to be the first one to put in a recipe.

This is a recipe from my Everyday Food Magazine, it's an old one, from the 2005 edition. This recipe is great and makes a lot so I can eat it all week long. It's kind of like a poor man's paella and you can easily substitute in things you like.

Chicken and Brown Rice
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 whole cut-up chickend (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), skins removed, breasts halved (I never cut up a chicken, I just buy some boneless, skinless breasts and thighs)
    Salt and pepper
    1 medium onion
    4 garlic cloves, smashed
    1 cup long-grain brown rice
    4 plum tomatoes, diced
    1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
    1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed (I do corn since I hate peas)
    Lemon wedges, for serving (optional- I've never used them)

Heat oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook, turning, until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet. Cook ,stirring frequently, until onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes

Stir in rice, tomatoes, peppers, and 1 1/4 cups water; nestle chicken pieces in rice mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until rice is tender, 55 to 60 minutes. If any liquid remains, remove lid and simmer until evaporated.

Sprinkle peas over contents of skillet; cover, and remove from heat. Set aside until peas are heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

I don't have a huge skillet, so I generally make it in my smaller soup pot and it works great. I love this meal because it is healthy and after the prep work, it just sits on the stove and cooks. I usually add my Southwest seasoning from Penzy's to the chicken to give it a spicier taste and throw some cayenne into the onions and garlic.

Grasshopper Pie - My favorite Christmas time pie!

1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1 (14-oz.) can "Eagle Brand" sweetened condensed milk
    Green food coloring
    16 "Keebler Grasshopper" fudge mint cookies, coarsely crumbled
    1 (8-oz.) container frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
    1 (6-oz.) "Keebler Ready Crust" chocolate pie crust
    1 tub Cool Whip frozen topping (thaw for 15 minutes)

With mixer, beat cheese until fluffy; gradually beat in sweetened condensed
    milk until smooth. Stir in food coloring, then crushed cookies. Fold in
    whipped topping. Pour into crust. Cover pie with Cool-Whip.
    Chill at least 3 hours. Garnish: chocolate
    shavings, additional cookie pieces, or mint leaves). Refrigerate leftovers.
    Yup, with donuts!!

For MRD, this is a basic sour cream drop biscuit recipe that I use when I make cheddar biscuits to eat with seafood:

Sour Cream Drop Biscuits

2 c flour
    1 tbsp sugar
    3 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 c shortening
    2/3 c milk
    2/3 c sour cream

Heat oven to 450. Grease cookie sheet. In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; blend well. Using pastry blender or fork, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, combine milk and sour cream. Add to dry mixture all at once, stirring just until moistened (for cheddar biscuits, this is where I add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese). Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 450 for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

*When I make the cheddar biscuits, I brush them with a mixture of melted butter, garlic powder and parsley when they come out of the oven. Also these biscuits are very white! So it's easy to overcook them. Watch the bottoms.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Thanks burntbrat. I will give them a try and see if I can make them without ruining them. I have no idea why I can't make good biscuits.
    But they sound really good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I forgot we were going to a school picnic today and so I had to come up with a really quick dessert to contribute. My "go to in a hurry but never fails dessert for a crowd" is as follows:

Lemon Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cookie Base:
    1 cup unsalted butter, melted
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    2 cups unbleached allpurpose flour

Mix together butter, powdered sugar and flour until well blended. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.

Lemon Filling:
    2 cups sugar
    4 tablespoons unbleached allpurpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    4 eggs
    6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (more or less to your tastes, if you like it tart double it)
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind (same thing, use more or less to your tastes)

Sift together sugar, flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add eggs, lemon juice and lemon rind. Beat by hand or with electric mixer until well blended. Pour mixture over crust and bake for 25 minutes.

Allow bars to cool a bit, then dust with powdered sugar. Cool completely and cut into squares.

Enjoy!

Cookie Pizza

18 ounces (1 package of Pilsbury cookie dough) of premade cookie dough
    8 ounces of softened cream cheese
    2 cups of cold half and half
    1 package of instant pudding
    1/3 cup sugar
    then any of your favourite toppings
    1/4 cup choc chips
    1/4 cup vanilla chips
    1/4 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 and put in cookie dough that's pressed into a 12 inch pan. Heat for 14 minutes or till golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes, then slide spatula under cookie. Let it cool completely.
    In a bowl mix the cream cheese and sugar till blended. Spread over the cooled cookie.
    In a different bowl mix the half and half and the instant pudding for two minutes. Let sit for another two minutes or till the pudding has thickened. Spread this on top of the cream cheese.

Then sprinkle toppings to your liking. Let it sit in the fridge till serving.

The only thing I recommend is not making this much in advance. The cream cheese softens the cookie a bit too much after it's been sitting for a few days.

I made this in Occupational Therapy and needless to say.. I made a lot of friends that day

FORT Fogey

Since I was pulling up this recipe to make to send to son at college, I thought I'd share it here. These are as close to the ones sold at Starbucks as I have found. It says to cut into 8 scones, but it makes more if you cut them smaller. Watch the baking time if you do make them smaller!

Maple Oat Nut Scones - Starbucks Recipe | Recipezaar

Maple Oat Nut Scones - Starbucks Recipe #157241

SERVES 8

For The Scones

1 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
    1 1/2 cups flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter (small pieces)
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
    1/2-3/4 teaspoon maple extract
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Maple Glaze

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon maple extract
    5 teaspoons water
    Preheat oven to 425°F.
    Using a food processor or blender, finely grind oats.
    In a mixer, mix flour, oats, sugar, salt and baking powder.
    Add maple syrup and butter and mix well.
    In a small bowl, beat the egg with the cream and maple extract.
    Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
    Add pecans and mix just to incorporate.
    Place dough on a floured surface. Knead and pat dough into a 8 to 10 inch circle and cut into 8 wedges.
    Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or use Silpat . Place wedges on top and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until light brown.
    Remove scones from oven to wire rack. Let cool about 3 to 5 minutes.
    Mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Adjust the amount of water to get to the desired consistency. I like the glaze to be rather thick. Spread lots of glaze over each scone and dry about 15 minutes before serving.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3191114;
    Doxie, You must post that recipe in the recipe thread! (not the exploding one!)
    I cracked open the vault and typed this up just for you! Enjoy.

Grandma's Southern Cornbread Dressing

2 cups White Lily Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix
    1 1/4 cups milk or buttermilk
    4 eggs
    1/4 cup vegetable oil (additional oil needed to coat skillet)
    2 onions, chopped
    5 stalks celery, chopped
    6 pieces white bread
    Poultry seasoning
    2 - 3 cans Chicken broth (or same amount homemade)

Preheat oven to 425. Coat 10 inch skillet with oil. Place skillet in oven to preheat. Combine cornmeal mix with milk or buttermilk, add one egg and 1/4 cup oil. Stir to moisten. Batter should be lumpy. Pour into hot skillet and bake 15 - 20 minutes. Let cool.

Toast 6 pieces of bread (lightly). Let cool.

Saute onions and celery. Let cool.

Crumble cornbread and toast into a large bowl, stir in onions and celery. Lightly beat remaining 3 eggs together and add to mixture. Place into 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle with Poultry seasoning.
    Add chicken broth and mix gently. Dressing needs to be "soupy" so that it will not dry out.

Bake at 350 about 35-40 minutes or until top springs back.

*Notes*
    I usually make this the day before and stick it (uncooked) into the fridge and then pop it in the oven about an hour or so before dinnertime.

I also add a small amount of garlic powder.

I use a cast iron skillet for the cornbread.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

This isn't a terribly complicated recipe, but I thought I'd post it since several of us were talking about roasted beets in the old Recipes thread. I finally roasted all of the baby beets I had and then went searching for recipes for them and found this one.

You basically make a grilled cheese with whole grain bread, sliced beets and chevre. It was TO DIE FOR! The mellow sweetness of the beets was perfect with the goat cheese. Just in case anyone else is a beet lover!

Thanks for the scone recipe, PugMum! Those are my favorite scones, although they're awfully rich - I can only eat about half of one. Still, they're very yummy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 91 123456789101151 ... LastLast