+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I made it with skinless chicken breasts (boneless) and it worked. For some reason no one sells chicken with skin here anymore.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Yay! You can buy Foster Farms and other brands of whole or parted chicken in my supermarkets, skin on, around here, but I haven't used anything but boneless, skinless breasts for so many years. I know that the fat from the skin imparts a flavor, but I don't need the fat. I already have Emeral's Cajon spice mix (I use it for my Gumbo) so this looks really good to me! Looking for rhubarb now! Thanks for recommend it, I get foody emails every day, but never have recommendations!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Lynda

I had never had his spice mix before and made my own and just loved the flavor.
    Punkin likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

If anyone has the time (for both the cooking and the shopping for ingredients), this is by far the best soup I've ever had, and one of the two best things I've ever eaten in a restaurant, the other being rabbit étouffée at at K-Pauls.

LAKSA

PREP TIME: 1 hour, COOK TIME: 40 minutes, Serves 4
    ______________________________ __________
    LAKSA PASTE

8 Thai red chilies, seeded
    1 tsp each cinnamon and coriander seeds
    1 star anise
    ½ tsp white pepper
    1 bunch cilantro
    150 g each fresh ginger and galangal, peeled and finely chopped
    80 g fresh turmeric, peeled and finely chopped
    8 garlic cloves, chopped
    8 kaffir lime leaves
    6 shallots, chopped
    3 lemon grass stalks, trimmed
    1 tbsp shrimp paste

BROTH

1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 560-mL can each coconut cream and coconut milk
    1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
    1 ½ tbsp each Squid Brand fish sauce and shaved palm sugar
    2 tbsp lime juice

SOUP

1 454-g package rice vermicelli noodles
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 small red pepper, julienned
    1 cooked chicken breast, sliced
    ½ lb fresh tiger shrimp, halved
    ½ 227-g can bamboo shoot strips
    ½ 227-g can sliced water chestnuts
    1 cup each snow peas and thinly sliced green onions
    ______________________________ __________
    1. To prepare paste, soak chilies in boiling water for 20 minutes. Grind cinnamon, coriander seed, star anise and pepper in coffee grounder until powdery. Cut and wash 5 root ends from cilantro bunch. Whirl cilantro roots and remaining paste ingredients except ground spices in food processor until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Add ground spices and shrimp paste and whirl the mixture into a thick paste.
    2. To prepare broth, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 100 mL of coconut cream. Heat for 2 minutes until oils and solids begin to separate. Stir in laksa paste. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir regularly for 20 minutes until soft and fragrant. Slowly stir in remaining coconut cream, coconut milk and chicken broth. Bring to a gentle simmer. Pour soup through a fine sieve into another large pot. Add fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust flavours as needed.
    3. Prepare noodles following package directions. Coat a medium frying pan with oil. Set over medium heat. Add red pepper and shrimp to pan. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until pepper is cooked and shrimp turns pink.
    4. Chop 1 cup cilantro leaves. Divide noodles, chicken, shrimp, red pepper, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts among bowls. Pour hot broth overtop. Garnish soups with cilantro, snow peas and green onions. Serve immediately.
    beerbelly likes this.
    And so it begins, the end of times..

It is prime rhubarb season here. I'm going to have to try out that chicken recipe this weekend!
    beerbelly likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I tried this recipe for the first time this week and I liked it so much, I made it again a few days later!

I do vary the recipe a little bit. I use cooking spray on the phyllo sheets instead of brushing them with butter so I only need half the amount of butter the recipe uses. Also, I’ve found it easier to mix the ingredients in the bowl without the spinach first. Then when those ingredients are well-mixed, add the spinach and mix it a little more. Instead of putting the filling back in the skillet, I put it in a small baking pan. That way I can put foil over the leftovers and put the whole pan in the refrigerator.

SKILLET SPANAKOPITA
    Total Time 1 hr

Ingredients
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
    • 1 small onion, diced
    • 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
    • 1 cup ricotta cheese
    • 3 large eggs
    • heaping 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    • 2 teaspoons dried dill
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 5 sheets frozen phyllo dough, defrosted

Instructions
    1. Preheat the oven to 375. In a skillet with a 10" cooking surface, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
    2. Meanwhile, squeeze the water from the defrosted spinach. Do this very well--I used a potato ricer, or you could squeeze a handful at a time between your fists. Water is not your friend in this recipe.
    3. In a large bowl, stir together the squeezed-dry spinach, ricotta, eggs, feta, dill, salt and pepper. Stir in the diced onion and the drippings from the skillet. Next, scrape all of the mixture back into the skillet.
    4. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small dish and have ready with a small pastry brush. Layer one sheet of phyllo dough on top of the spinach in the skillet (keep the rest of the phyllo dough covered to prevent drying out while you work). Brush the layer with butter.
    5. Next, layer another sheet of phyllo in the opposite direction to fully cover the spinach. Again, brush with butter.
    6. Finally, crumble the last 3 sheets of phyllo over the top of the dish. The more crumpled the top, the more flaky layers there will be. Drizzle the remaining butter on top. (In case you're tempted, don't skimp on the butter: phyllo without butter tastes like raw flour).
    7. Bake in the oven 35-45 minutes, until the dough is golden brown and crispy. Serve hot or warm.

Last edited by pikachu; 10-07-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    Punkin, Brooks and beerbelly like this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread