+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 92 FirstFirst ... 41818283848586878889909192 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

It was a lot sweeter than I was expecting. It was good, but it was hard for me to eat it all myself. I put some in containers to freeze for when I feel like something unusual.
    Count your blessings!

Chicken and Broccoli Lasagna

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast
    cooked, shredded or chopped
    8 prepared lasagna noodles
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can chicken broth
    2-3c shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 c shredded cheddar cheese
    minced garlic clove
    1 small onion chopped
    2-3 stalks celery chopped
    1-2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
    1 T olive oil
    Pepper to taste

Boil chicken. When cool, shred or chop. Mix soups and broth.
    In a saucepan heat olive oil. Add onion, celery and garlic; saute. Add this to your soup mixture.
    Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
    Layer noodles, 1/2 the chicken, 1/2 the broccoli and soup mixture, then 1/2 the cheese.
    Repeat layers, making sure your last layer is mozzarella cheese.
    Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.

**If you don't want to use the cans of soup, here is a substitute that I use. One recipe equals 1 can of soup. You could add fresh mushrooms to make cream of mushroom.

1T flour
    3T butter
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup of milk
    salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and continue whisking until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Return to heat and bring to a gentle boil. Whisking until sauce thickens. Salt and pepper to taste.
    **If you want plain white sauce add 1 cup of milk instead of 1/2 chic broth and 1/2 milk. I use this for mac and cheese and just add whatever kind of cheese I have.
    Debb70 likes this.

Is the Chicken and Broccoli recipe better if you use fresh or frozen broccoli? I recall once that the frozen had a lot of water in it after cooking.

Also, do you think it would be okay to use a different kind of pasta instead of lasagna noodles?

Debb70, I used fresh broccoli because that is what I had and needed to use. I didn't steam it very long because it was going to cook again and I didn't want it to be too mushy. If you use frozen, just drain it and I think it would be fine.
    I don't see why you couldn't use another type of pasta instead of lasagna. I would probably use a flat pasta instead of round. Let me know how it turns out. I hope you enjoy it.
    Debb70 likes this.

Okay. I like to take a recipe and then put my own spin on it. I will try little things over time until I get it exactly the way I want it. I think I'm going to use fresh broccoli too. I want it to hold up. I think I'm going to make the sauce from scratch too.
    inthegarden likes this.

For the kale naysayers ():

Quinoa With Mushrooms, Kale, and Sweet Potatoes

Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 15m| Total Time: 30m
    Ingredients

1 cup quinoa
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
    10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)

Directions

Place the quinoa and 2 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until
    water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
    Add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden and beginning to soften, 5 to 6
    minutes.
    Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
    Add the kale, wine, teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing often, until the vegetables are tender, 10
    to 12 minutes.
    Serve the vegetables over the quinoa and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
    Quinoa With Mushrooms, Kale, and Sweet Potatoes Recipe | Real Simple Recipes

I don't add the parmesan. It really doesn't need it. Everyone I've prepared this for has asked for the recipe. It's quick and healthy too. The key is making sure the kale (and the other veggies) gets plenty of time in the wine and garlic. It's delish!
    Ellen and pikachu like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yum! I love quinoa, too, so I'll definitely want to try this recipe. I need to go to the store soon anyway so I can pick up the ingredients.

I already have parmesan so I'll probably try it on it. Cheese makes everything better.

Well, just about everything. I don't think cheese would go well with chocolate. I like each on their own but haven't tried them together.

Normally I'd agree about cheese, but I can't imagine it with this recipe. It seems kind of gross in this instance. I just can't imagine it being better with the cheese than it already is.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Cucumber Sandwiches

2 large loaves thinly sliced white bread, trimmed
    2 large package cream cheese
    3 large cucumbers, grated and drained (leave some peel on)
    2 tsp. grated onion (juice included)
    salt and pepper to taste
    5 Tbsp. mayonnaise (not level)

Trim bread. Let cheese soften to room temperature. Mix cheese until very soft and creamy. Add grated cucumber which has been drained. Be sure to leave some green peeling for color. Add onion, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Mix well. It is best to make the day before needed so it will chill and congeal. Spread on bread and cut in desired shapes.[/QUOTE]

inthegarden - this may be a dumb question as I've never grated cucumbers before but what do you do with the seeds when grating? Remove before grating or do they not grate and get discarded?
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread