Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4080818283848586878889909192 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    For Gut:
    North African Beef Stew

3 T olive oil
    3 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 1” pieces [note: I only used 2 lbs and it was fine]
    1 ½ t salt
    1 t freshly ground black pepper
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
    2 t sweet paprika
    1 t ground cumin
    ½ t ground cinnamon
    3 C beef broth
    One 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1 C dried apricots, cut into ½-inch pieces
    ½ C golden raisins
    2 T cornstarch mixed with
    ¼ C water

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle the meat evenly with the salt and pepper Add the meat to the skillet a few pieces at a time and brown on all sides. Transfer the browned meat to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker

Add the onion and garlic to the same skillet and sauté until the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, paprika, cumin and cinnamon and soften until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Deglaze the skillet with a cup of broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer the contents of the skillet to the slow-cooker insert. Add the remaining 2 cups of broth, the beans, apricots, and raisins.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until the meat is tender.

Skim off any fat from the top of the stew. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir to combine. Cover the slow cooker and cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce thickens.

Note: I didn't bother with the cornstarch and it was still great. I used just under 2.5 lbs of beef. Three pounds just seemed a bit excessive to me.
    I finally have all the ingredients at the same time to make this. It's in the crockpot now and boy! does it smell good. I can't wait!
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I finally have all the ingredients at the same time to make this. It's in the crockpot now and boy! does it smell good. I can't wait!
    Dang — that's the big thing: having all the necessary ingredients at the same time!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I couldn't wait the full time - just had a small bowl and YUM!!! I'll be making this again.
    Count your blessings!

For Critical.

Here is the Chipotle Barbacoa recipe I have been using. It is super easy and SO GOOD!!

Chipotle's Barbacoa

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
    4 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    3 bay leaves
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    3-4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
    4-5 lbs chuck roast

Directions:
    1. To make the adobo sauce combine vinegar, limejuice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a blender or processor on high speed until smooth.
    2. Remove most of the fat from the roast and then cut into large chunks (approximately 6).
    3. Pour oil into a frying pan and sear all sides of roast on medium-high heat until browned.
    4. Place meat into Crockpot and pour adobo sauce over meat.
    5. Pour in the chicken broth and add bay leaves.
    6. Cook on high heat 6 hours or on low all day.
    7. While still in the Crockpot, shred the meat with two forks and turn the heat to warm. Serve with hard or soft tortilla shells when ready or in bowl piled with sides.
    8. Typical sides include tortillas, rice, black or pinto beans, cheese, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, guacamole, and sour cream.

I like to use the fresh tomato salsas at Trader Joe's with this during the winter because they are quick and tasty.

In the summer, a quick fresh corn salsa is fantastic with this. Just some fresh corn kernels, diced red onion, diced roasted & peeled green chilies (I like Anaheim or Poblano), lime juice, and some seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, etc).

I have been using an immersion blender for the sauce and it's great. I don't even have to chop up the garlic first! It is really easy to control the heat of this dish by tweaking the amount of chipotles in adobo that you are adding.

Here is the link to the original source of the recipe:
    Chipotle's Barbacoa Copycat Recipe Recipe - Food.com - 472445
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-06-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    Critical likes this.

Hey ladies! I am looking for a fantastic mac and cheese recipe. I want to make it from scratch (well not the pasta lol). I am going to use Penne Duram Wheat which to me is the best pasta out there hehe.

I am looking for something refined and interesting. Brie cheese for example. Do any of you guys have a fancy mac and cheese dish you could share?
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I have a great one that infuses the cream with cinnamon. I'm going to sleep, but I'll dig up the recipe and post it tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Hey ladies! I am looking for a fantastic mac and cheese recipe. I want to make it from scratch (well not the pasta lol). I am going to use Penne Duram Wheat which to me is the best pasta out there hehe.

I am looking for something refined and interesting. Brie cheese for example. Do any of you guys have a fancy mac and cheese dish you could share?
    Mine tends to be a bit different every time I make it, mostly because it depends on what cheeses I've got :-) But the general recipe that I've settled on uses a white sauce (flavored with dry mustard, turmeric, nutmeg, and pepper) that I then add the cheese to until it tastes right. Mix the sauce with the pasta, cover with some Panko, and pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes (until the panko is toasty). (I try to mix sharp and mild cheeses, but if I was using brie, I'd probably use just it and mozzarella with some grated Parmesan or Peccorino Romano.)

And if I have some veggies to use up (cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes), I add them, too.

If my guys are really hungry, we forgo the Panko and just scoop it out of the pot :-)
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Mine tends to be a bit different every time I make it, mostly because it depends on what cheeses I've got :-) But the general recipe that I've settled on uses a white sauce (flavored with dry mustard, turmeric, nutmeg, and pepper) that I then add the cheese to until it tastes right. Mix the sauce with the pasta, cover with some Panko, and pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes (until the panko is toasty). (I try to mix sharp and mild cheeses, but if I was using brie, I'd probably use just it and mozzarella with some grated Parmesan or Peccorino Romano.)

And if I have some veggies to use up (cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes), I add them, too.

If my guys are really hungry, we forgo the Panko and just scoop it out of the pot :-)
    I swear that makes it taste even better lol
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    For Critical.

Here is the Chipotle Barbacoa recipe I have been using. It is super easy and SO GOOD!!

Chipotle's Barbacoa

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
    4 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    3 bay leaves
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    3-4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
    4-5 lbs chuck roast

Directions:
    1. To make the adobo sauce combine vinegar, limejuice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a blender or processor on high speed until smooth.
    2. Remove most of the fat from the roast and then cut into large chunks (approximately 6).
    3. Pour oil into a frying pan and sear all sides of roast on medium-high heat until browned.
    4. Place meat into Crockpot and pour adobo sauce over meat.
    5. Pour in the chicken broth and add bay leaves.
    6. Cook on high heat 6 hours or on low all day.
    7. While still in the Crockpot, shred the meat with two forks and turn the heat to warm. Serve with hard or soft tortilla shells when ready or in bowl piled with sides.
    8. Typical sides include tortillas, rice, black or pinto beans, cheese, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, guacamole, and sour cream.

I like to use the fresh tomato salsas at Trader Joe's with this during the winter because they are quick and tasty.

In the summer, a quick fresh corn salsa is fantastic with this. Just some fresh corn kernels, diced red onion, diced roasted & peeled green chilies (I like Anaheim or Poblano), lime juice, and some seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, etc).

I have been using an immersion blender for the sauce and it's great. I don't even have to chop up the garlic first! It is really easy to control the heat of this dish by tweaking the amount of chipotles in adobo that you are adding.

Here is the link to the original source of the recipe:
    Chipotle's Barbacoa Copycat Recipe Recipe - Food.com - 472445
    I totally forgot to say thank you! I'm definitely going to try this one! The Barbacoa is my favorite at Chipotle. I always want more!
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

To Critical or anyone who has prepared the North African Beef Stew upthread: Can you describe what kind of flavor it has? It looks so interesting and tasty. I'm trying to envision the flavors.

+ Reply to Thread