+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 397980818283848586878889909192 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

For Gut:
    North African Beef Stew

3 T olive oil
    3 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 1” pieces [note: I only used 2 lbs and it was fine]
    1 ½ t salt
    1 t freshly ground black pepper
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
    2 t sweet paprika
    1 t ground cumin
    ½ t ground cinnamon
    3 C beef broth
    One 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1 C dried apricots, cut into ½-inch pieces
    ½ C golden raisins
    2 T cornstarch mixed with
    ¼ C water

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle the meat evenly with the salt and pepper Add the meat to the skillet a few pieces at a time and brown on all sides. Transfer the browned meat to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker

Add the onion and garlic to the same skillet and sauté until the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, paprika, cumin and cinnamon and soften until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Deglaze the skillet with a cup of broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer the contents of the skillet to the slow-cooker insert. Add the remaining 2 cups of broth, the beans, apricots, and raisins.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until the meat is tender.

Skim off any fat from the top of the stew. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir to combine. Cover the slow cooker and cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce thickens.

Note: I didn't bother with the cornstarch and it was still great. I used just under 2.5 lbs of beef. Three pounds just seemed a bit excessive to me.
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh — Moroccan tagine! (...but not cooked in a tagine...)
    Delicious. I want to give this a try, as I don't have a tagine, but I do have a Crock-Pot!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Yeah, I can't take on any more pots, pans, cooking appliances because I live in a teacup. Maybe this would be incredible cooked in a tagine, but I'm content with doing it in the crock pot!

Added benefit: it makes the house smell incredible! The only downside is that it makes you REALLY hungry long before it's ready!

For a good number of hours it looks fairly "pale" because there aren't any tomatoes. Then, in the last few hours, it gets darker and richer. The apricots almost disappear, but the raisins plump up and absorb all of the flavors. You do have to do "pre-cooking," but I don't mind. It cooks for 8+ hours after that and the result is totally worth it

I got the recipe from probably the best slow cooker cookbook I've ever encountered:
    Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever | Chronicle Books
    Lots of very good recipes and not all the usual 10 slow cooker fare (you know - beef stew, pork roast, cream of mushroom soup, the usual). I mean, the recipe above is technically beef stew as well, but nothing like what you find in most slow cooker cookbooks. I bought my slow cooker so I could put good, fresh ingredients in and get a great meal, not so I could find more uses for cheez whiz and cream of mushroom soup!
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Oh, I'm SO doing this! Thanks!!!!!!!
    Count your blessings!

You're welcome!

I know what you mean about living in a teacup! No tagine here, either. Our little storage-challenged apartment has made us good at finding kitchen multi-taskers. I'll check out that cookbook, though, as we cook with fresh ingredients as much as possible, too, rather than stuff like Velveeta, canned cream-of-whatever, cake mix, etc.
    Thank you for the tip, Critical!
    Critical likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    How many does this recipe serve? I may want to double it so I have left overs.
    Sorry I missed this Deb. It wasn't a huge recipe, I think it serves about 6-8. I did half again as much when I made it and had a good amount for leftovers.

I would love to make this! I don't eat red meat though. I believe there is an African Stew that is very similar in seasonings, but with veggies instead. I must find the recipe! I've eaten it once and it was wonderful
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I know what you mean about living in a teacup! No tagine here, either. Our little storage-challenged apartment has made us good at finding kitchen multi-taskers. I'll check out that cookbook, though, as we cook with fresh ingredients as much as possible, too, rather than stuff like Velveeta, canned cream-of-whatever, cake mix, etc.
    Thank you for the tip, Critical!
    You're welcome! I would say that the meat should be seared quickly rather than browned AND cut up into slightly larger pieces than the recipe suggests. I followed the recipe to the letter the first time and the meat got a little dry. Searing larger pieces of meat kept it juicier.

I'm going to make it this weekend. I rarely eat meat, but will for this dish. Yum! I still have a lot of African spices I brought back from my trip there years ago. I don't know what-all is in them, but I love to use them.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread