+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    It's Christmas cookie time! This is a family favoite, from my mom. It's especially fun for little kids baking with you.

Peppermint Snowballs

For the filling:
    2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
    1 tablespoon milk
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
    1 drop red food coloring
    5 drops peppermint extract

For the dough:
    1 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon peppermint extract
    2-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

For the topping:
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    6 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candy or candy canes

For the filling, combine cream cheese and milk in a small bowl. Stir in sugar, candy and food coloring; mix well. Set aside.

For the dough, preheat oven to 350 F. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until creamy; add vanilla. Stir in flour; knead until well mixed. Set aside 1/2 cup of dough; shape remaining dough into 1-inch balls. Make a deep well in the center of each ball with the handle of a wooden spoon. Fill with 1/4 teaspoon filling. Use reserved dough to cover filling by placing a small flat disc of dough over the hole. Reshape if necessary into smooth balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake about 12 minutes.

Make the topping by combining the powdered sugar with the crushed candy. Roll warm (not hot) cookies in the topping mixture. Set on wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: about 4 dozen
    We have a recipe that is very similar to this, but there is significantly more crushed candy cane in the filling and pecans but no peppermint flavor in the shortbread part. We also put ours in the freezer for 15 mins before baking so the filling doesn't try to escape!

Ever since we moved to MN and I had some really good wild rice soup, I have been looking for the perfect recipe. I think I have FINALLY found it! This is really good, and I like that it uses milk rather than heavy cream. I like a lot of stuff in my soup so I do put significantly more veggies in. We also added some toasted slivered almonds. It is a great cold weather soup, but it can be hard to stop eating!!

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
    2 Tablespoons butter
    1/2 small onion or 1 large shallot, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    2 small carrots, chopped
    salt & pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    8 cups chicken broth
    2 chicken breasts, cut in half
    3/4 cup wild/brown rice blend
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup flour

Directions:
    - Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, season with salt & pepper, then saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme then saute for 1 more minute.

- Add chicken broth then increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add chicken breast halves and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes, then remove to a plate and set aside. Shred when cool enough to handle. Add wild/brown rice blend to the pot then place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.

- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup milk with flour until smooth then add remaining milk. Slowly drizzle into soup while stirring. Add chicken then simmer soup for 10 more minutes uncovered and serve.

Source: Chicken & Wild Rice Soup | Iowa Girl Eats
    (For some reason this page has a photo where the soup includes noodles, which sounds very weird to me. Fortunately there is no sign of them in the recipe! )
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Ever since we moved to MN and I had some really good wild rice soup, I have been looking for the perfect recipe. I think I have FINALLY found it! This is really good, and I like that it uses milk rather than heavy cream. I like a lot of stuff in my soup so I do put significantly more veggies in. We also added some toasted slivered almonds. It is a great cold weather soup, but it can be hard to stop eating!!

Ingredients:
    2 Tablespoons butter
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    2 small carrots, chopped
    salt & pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    8 cups chicken broth
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup flour

Directions:
    - Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, season with salt & pepper, then saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme then saute for 1 more minute.

- Add chicken broth then increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add chicken breast halves and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes, then remove to a plate and set aside. Shred when cool enough to handle. Add wild/brown rice blend to the pot then place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.

- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup milk with flour until smooth then add remaining milk. Slowly drizzle into soup while stirring. Add chicken then simmer soup for 10 more minutes uncovered and serve.

(For some reason this page has a photo where the soup includes noodles, which sounds very weird to me. Fortunately there is no sign of them in the recipe! )
    Thank you for posting this!

I love wild rice. Luckily, Trader Joe's carries at least one good brand of wild rice, like I remember from when Dad worked in International Falls and Hibbing, in years when construction work was scarce in Wisconsin.

I'll leave out the milk and flour, as I'm not a fan of cream/milk soups. But the flavor profile looks great, and just the perfect springboard for me to develop "brothy" wild-rice soup. Yay!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Newbie

During Christmas holidays , I always end up cooking my fave recipe which is Chicken Barbecue It's my family all time favorite. I just marinade it before grilling with soy sauce, sugar, ketchup and other seasoning. It is easy to prepare and the sauce also makes a great toppings for baked potatoes on the sides if you want

These recipes have been posted to my facebook page and they look really good. Gonna have to try them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post

Ingredients:
    2 Tablespoons butter
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    2 small carrots, chopped
    salt & pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    8 cups chicken broth
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup flour

Directions:

How many does this recipe serve? I may want to double it so I have left overs.

I made these yesterday; they're a hit in our two-person household.
    Easy, just the right size, and they freeze/thaw well.

MINI CHEESECAKES

Crust
    1-1/2 finely crushed graham crackers
    1 tablespoon melted butter

Filling
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Dash of salt
    7 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons sour cream

Heat oven to 350.
    Place 24 mini-muffin cup liners in mini-muffin tin.
    Blend graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Divide among muffin cups; lightly press into bottom of each cup.
    Prepare filling: In a medium bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, and cream cheese. Beat with a mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes or until well combined. Add egg; beat well. Add sour cream; beat for 1 minute.
    Pour about 1 tablespoon of filling into each muffin cup.
    Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until set.
    Cool cheesecakes completely on wire rack. Chill for at least 2 hours.

Approx. 50 calories per mini cheesecake

Ooooh - that sound good! I'd make those for my team at school whereas I'd never make a whole cheesecake. Yum!
    Count your blessings!

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars recipe from Pillsbury.com
    That recipe made me think of these. I haven't made them in about 20 years.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Ooooh - that sound good! I'd make those for my team at school whereas I'd never make a whole cheesecake. Yum!
    The beauty of these, for me, is that baking time is only 12 minutes, as opposed to the hour-plus for my traditional whole-cake recipe.

+ Reply to Thread