+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 92 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586878889909192 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Just Recipes

For our first Fall weekend dinner we made Chicken and Waffles. We were rewatching Mildred Pierce and decided we wanted to find a recipe and give it a try. This one is Emeril's. It's pretty yummy.

Ingredients

Chicken:
    1 (3 1/2 pound) fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces, giblets reserved and chopped
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
    Vegetable oil, for frying

Buttermilk Waffles:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    Unsalted butter, topping
    Maple Syrup

Directions

Chicken:
    Heat enough vegetable oil to come about 1-inch up the sides of a large, deep cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F.

Rinse the chicken under cold running water and do not dry; leave wet. In a large sealable bag, combine the flour with the Essence. Add the chicken pieces 1 at a time, seal, and shake to coat evenly. Remove and place on a wire rack over a baking sheet and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.

Carefully add the chicken to the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden brown and the meat is cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes (the thighs and legs will take longest to cook). Remove and drain on paper towels. Remove the pan from the heat and with a slotted spoon, scoop out any browned bits remaining in the pan and drain on paper towels.

Waffles:

Preheat a waffle iron and lightly grease. Into a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.

In a clean bowl, beat the eggs. Add the butter and buttermilk and beat to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix well.

Pour the batter into the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown and lightly crisp. Remove and if desired, top with a slice of butter, and serve with the chicken and maple syrup

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
    2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

MRD

LOVE Chicken and waffles.

You know the history behind it?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I never heard of this dish before watching Mildred Pierce. But I did look it up on Wikipedia. I think it said that it started in Harlem and then went to Las Vegas and California. Then South? i

I'd rather hear your version of it's history, mrd. The Wiki can be a little loose with facts.

MRD

Gladys Knight told her version on some show I saw. Black entertainers often slept in their cars or had to go to the back door of restaurants to get food as it was whites only. In some of the places they played, when they finished their act at 1 or 2 in the morning, all they might get was leftover fried chicken and if the cook was still around, he could throw together waffle batter fairly easily. So as they traveled "The Chitlin Circuit" in the South, they existed on Chicken and waffles. She now has a restaurant in Atlanta. The speciality is chicken and waffles. That may even be the name of her restaurant.

Chicken Not Pie (I increase the amount of stock to make it soupier)

Chicken Not Pie - Healthy Recipe Finder | Prevention

Serves: Prep: 30min Cook: 40min Total: 1hr 10min
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 sm onion, chopped
    1 1/2 C chicken or vegetable stock (we used Kitchen Basics)
    1 C dry white wine or water
    1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or tarragon leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme or tarragon
    12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
    3 lg Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 1/4 lb), cut into 1" cubes
    2 med med carrots or parsnips, sliced
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 lb green beans or asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
    2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
    1 C frozen peas
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
    DIRECTIONS
    Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. when hot, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. add stock, wine, and thyme. bring to a boil and add chicken. reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until meat is barely cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. remove chicken.
    Stir in potatoes, carrots, and salt and bring to a boil. reduce heat so liquid bubbles enthusiastically. cover and cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 20 minutes.
    Add green beans. cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes. if liquid hasn't begun to thicken, increase the heat and cook a few minutes longer, stirring to prevent vegetables from sticking.
    Chop or slice chicken and return it, along with any accumulated juices, to the pot. stir in lemon juice. when warmed through, add peas. taste and add salt and pepper if needed. serve sprinkled with parsley, if desired.

CALORIES 422.2 CAL
    FAT 12.2 G
    SATURATED FAT 1.9 G
    SODIUM 886.7 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 41.7 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 6.9 G
    DIETARY FIBER 7.8 G
    PROTEIN 27.8 G
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

FoRTer

A few nights ago, I tried this really easy and simple and inexpensive version of honey-mustard chicken. We often eat chicken for dinner, and I like easy ways to give it a different flavor.

Put bone-in chicken pieces in a casserole dish, liberally spread with mustard and then honey, cover and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

(I used regular yellow mustard and we liked the tangy flavor, but I imagine spicy brown mustard would be good, too. And I think if you used boneless chicken you could cut cooking time in half.)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The idea of chicken and waffles together holds absolutely zero appeal to my tastebud brain. Are we talking with syrup, here?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

The bacon cuts the sweetness and the flavors are great together.

1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon*
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C.)
    In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, flour, eggs, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Mix in the melted butter. Pour filling into pie crust.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until filling is set.
    Chop the pecans and bacon into very small pieces and sprinkle on top of pie when it comes out of the oven.

MRD

Oops.

It's called Brown Sugar Bacon Pie

A friend made this for a get together last night and it was SO good. Kind of a pumpkin pie crossed with a dump cake! I think I might take it to Thanksgiving this year.

Pumpkin Crunch Pudding Cake

1 large can (28 oz) Pumpkin
    1 can (15oz) Evaporated Milk
    1 cup Sugar
    3 Eggs
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 box (18 ľ oz) Yellow Pudding Cake Mix
    1 - 2 cups chopped Nuts
    1 cup (2 sticks) Butter or Margarine, melted

Frosting:
    8oz Cream Cheese, softened
    ĺ cup Cool Whip, thawed
    1 cup Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with wax paper. Mix together pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and cinnamon. Pour into the prepared pan. Pour (dry) cake mix over pumpkin mixture. Gently pat chopped nuts onto dry cake mix. Spoon melted butter evenly over nuts. Press down gently with a spatula.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool, then turn over onto plate/serving tray and remove wax paper. Cream together the frosting ingredients and frost cake.

Notes:
    Use pure pumpkin, not the prepared pumpkin that includes spices already.
    I used pecans for the chopped nuts, but walnuts are also good.
    I only use 2/3 to 3/4 cup powdered sugar in the frosting and its still very sweet.
    I generally donít like Cool Whip, but if you are transporting this cake, it is a necessity since it is more stable than whipped cream. If you If you are transporting this cake, omit the wax paper and flipping (step 2 and 8). Frost in the pan.

My friend used canned cream cheese frosting mixed with the Cool Whip (by mistake) but it worked! She flipped the cake and frosted it pumpkin side up, which I think was better than frosting the "bottom" of the cake in the pan like the recipe says you can. The nuts and the cake mix (with the butter) formed a really nice crunchy crust. I only ate a small piece, but it was delicious! My friend made this the night before and frosted it before everyone arrived, so it's good to go in the fridge
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread