+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 92 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I fixed this tonight and it was delicious!

Maple-Roasted Chicken With Sweet Potatoes | Real Simple Recipes

I used split chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken and dried thyme since I didn't have any fresh thyme. Next time, I'll probably use a few more sweet potatoes. The maple gave it a nice flavor, but because of the onions, thyme, salt and pepper, it wasn't super sweet. Definitely a keeper!
    Don't normally quote myself, but here I go...

I made this recipe tonight using center cut boneless pork chops instead of chicken and it was delicious! I roasted the sweet potatoes and onion, covered, in a 425 oven for about 30 minutes (with the salt, pepper, thyme and some of the maple syrup). Then I browned the chops just a bit in a skillet with olive oil, drizzled them with maple syrup and added them to the sweet potatoes and onions, turned the oven down just a bit (maybe to 350) and cooked it, uncovered for another 20 minutes.

Since regular maple syrup is super expensive, I actually just used light maple pancake syrup - like Mrs. Butterworth's or something. Maybe the flavor would have been different with the good stuff, but it was sure good with the cheap stuff!

I love an easy, inexpensive and delicious recipe!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Something for the ice-cream maker:

Wine Sorbet
    What you’ll need:
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup water
    1 bottle fruity red wine
    3 cups of raspberries

Instructions:
    In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, water, and red wine to a boil and let boil for 1 minute, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and add the raspberries. Cover and let steep for 1 hour.

To puree the berries and remove the seeds, using a rubber spatula, press the mixture through a mesh strainer set over a medium bowl or pass it through a food mill fitted with a fine disk into a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Freeze in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Enjoy the Heat with a Wine Sorbet! [RECIPE] – The Official Bordeaux Wines Blog
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I was looking for a main dish salad recipe for supper and found this. BBQ Pork Salad with summer fruit. It was really good! Next time I grill out I'm going to cook some pork chops to have ready for the next day. The salad dressing is good too.

BBQ Pork Salad with Summer Fruits and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe - Allrecipes.com

4 cooked pork chops, sliced
    8 cups mixed greens
    2 nectarines, cut into 12-wedges each
    1 grapefruit, segmented
    2 avocados, cut into wedges
    16 cherry tomatoes
    1 tablespoon salad oil
    2 tablespoons slivered, toasted almonds
    salt and black pepper

Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette:
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    3/8 cup salad oil
    Directions
    1.For the Vinaigrette: In a blender, combine all ingredients except oil. Blend at medium speed for one minute. Next, with blender at medium speed, pour oil very slowly into blender. Add salt and pepper.
    2.For each serving, toss 2 cups greens with 2 tablespoons dressing, top with 4 cherry tomatoes, 1 sliced pork chop, 1/2 avocado, sliced in wedges, 1/2 nectarine sliced in wedges, 1/4 grapefruit segments. Drizzle with more dressing and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve immediately.
    Nutritional Information
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Vegetarian Chunky Monkey "Ice Cream"

Peel and cut 2 ripe bananas into chunks and freeze in plastic wrap overnight.
    In a blender (or Magic Bullet) add a small handful of walnuts
    and about a cup of almond (or soy) milk... vanilla if you don't mind the extra calories.

Blend until the consistency of ice cream adding small amounts of almond milk if needed. Yum!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I may have put this up before, but I just made it again, and it's yummy:

Salad Dressing

Equal parts: Trader Joe's pumpkin butter* and mayonnaise (I use TJs low fat, low sodium)
    A dash of lemon juice.

Mix and enjoy. *available in the fall and winter

Holy KALE! I am in LOVE with this super simple healthy salad. It is even better the next day! I got my kale-hatin-sister to love it too! I have become a fan of Aarti Sequeria on Food Network. Her recipes are very simple but oh so tasty and healthy. I didn't even bother with the mango and sunflower seeds. lol

* 1 bunch kale (black kale is especially good), stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
    * 1 lemon, juiced
    * 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    * Kosher salt
    * 2 teaspoons honey
    * Freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 mango, diced small (about 1 cup)
    * Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), about 2 rounded tablespoons

Directions

In large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.

Massaged Kale Salad Recipe : Aarti Sequeira : Food Network

Wow! Does that sound good. I never heard the massaging trick with kale. I'm going to have to try that.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Critical, they make maple extract. It's with the vanilla and other extracts. Perhaps you could continue with the Mrs. Butterworths and add a little of the extract for more flavor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It is the end of the fresh corn season, so I tried this recipe over the weekend. It was delicious!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original link: Corn and Green Chile Chowder Recipe : : Food Network

Corn and Green Chile Chowder
    Ingredients

* 3 slices bacon, chopped
    * 1 large onion, minced
    * 3 cups fresh corn kernels, scraped from the cob, or frozen
    * 3 cups whole milk
    * 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and diced
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup whipping cream
    * 1 cup roasted, peeled and chopped mild green New Mexican, Anaheim, or Poblano chiles Fresh ground black pepper
    * 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced

Directions

Fry the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until brown and crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Stir the onion into the bacon drippings and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Puree 1 cup of corn with 1 cup of milk in a blender. Pour the mixture into the pan and add the remaining milk and corn along with the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in the cream and the green chile. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle the chowder into bowls, garnish with chives and the reserved bacon, and serve.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a few modifications that all turned out well:
    - One of my sons is a vegetarian so I left out the bacon and used olive oil to cook the onions
    - Added a bunch of garlic with the onions
    - Used 1% milk instead of whole milk
    - Used half-and-half instead of heavy cream
    - Used a couple of extra potatoes that would break down and compensate for the lighter milk/cream
    - I used fresh corn and roasted & peeled anaheim and poblano peppers (there is no comparison with fresh roasted peppers) - this was definitely more time consuming, but the taste was definitely worth it

Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice Recipe - Allrecipes.com

* 1 pound dry kidney beans
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1 green bell pepper, chopped
    * 2 tablespoons minced garlic
    * 2 stalks celery, chopped
    * 6 cups water
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
    * 1 tablespoon dried parsley
    * 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
    * 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
    * 4 cups water
    * 2 cups long grain white rice

Directions

1. Rinse beans, and then soak in a large pot of water overnight.
    2. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
    3. Rinse beans, and transfer to a large pot with 6 cups water. Stir cooked vegetables into beans. Season with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
    4. Stir sausage into beans, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
    5. Meanwhile, prepare the rice. In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve beans over steamed white rice.

+ Reply to Thread