+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 91 FirstFirst ... 327273747576777879808182838485868788899091 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Subject: Meat Loaf

Last week, I couldn't resist the temptation and bought one of those meatloaf pans that lets the fat drip into the bottom. Have you seen one? It's a loaf pan with a second "tray" where loaf sits but fat falls into the bottom of the main pan. You just lift out the loaf, less fat, and no having to use a spoon for that first piece? Well, since I got the new pan, I didn't want to try my tired old meatloaf recipe (from my mom, God bless her!).

So I went to my first stop, FoodNetwork.com, entered "meatloaf", sorted by ratings, and to what did my wondering eyes should appear but a Paula Deen recipe! 874 ratings, 5 stars! So I printed it, tried it, and (sorry, Mom) we have a new meatloaf recipe in the house.

Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf- A.K.A 'Basic' Meat Loaf Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

Notations - I didn't have green bell pepper, I used red. I also didn't have "quick cooking" oatmeal, so I used regular (I always used that anyway in meatloaf) and I used a bit more than her recipe called for. And since my oven tends to cook a bit more quickly than others, I took a reviewer's suggestion and lowered the temperature to 350 instead of 375. Perfect results!

My family LOVED it, and I "fell off the vegetarian wagon" big time!

Today I made a new card for my recipe box and had to say goodbye to my mother's recipe
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

This is my favorite ever meatloaf recipes. It's from allrecipes.com.

Lemon Barbeque Meatloaf Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts View Post
    This is my favorite ever meatloaf recipes. It's from allrecipes.com.

Lemon Barbeque Meatloaf Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    WOW Just the title got my attention, those three things just don't sound right together

But I read the reviews and am taking your word for it, so I just printed it. Will try it soon. thanks
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

allrecipes has a great one for brown sugar meatloaf. It sounds strange using brown sugar but it is very good.

I don't use a recipe and just throw stuff in. Breadcrumbs, S/P, egg etc. But I do top with some undiluted tomato soup from a can during the last 15min. of baking.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

This recipe is fast, easy and moist.

Red Velvet Cake

1 small bottle of Red Food Coloring
    1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix
    3 Tablespoons Cocoa

Mix cake according to package directions and add 1 more egg, food coloring and cocoa.
    Dump all ingredients in the mixing bowl at the same time and beat as directed.
    Bake according to cake mix directions. (You will have enough batter for 3 round cake pans)
    Remove cake from pans, cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 oz. package Cream Cheese
    1 box Confectioner's Sugar
    1 stick Margarine
    1 tsp. Vanilla

Let Cream Cheese and margarine soften to room temperature.
    Cream together Cream Cheese, Margarine and Vanilla.
    Add Confectioner's Sugar and beat until smooth.
    Frost cooled cake layers.
    Can top with toasted Pecans and grated Coconut.
    Freezes well.

This is soooo wrong. When I was pregnant, I craved Cadbury Creme Eggs and ate embarrassing quantities of them. I can't stand them now...besides, they're so sugary they literally hurt my teeth. This isn't even the nastiest Creme Egg recipe...click the link in the article before the recipe and check out the Creme Eggs Benedict.

Cakespy: Cadbury Creme Deviled Eggs | Serious Eats : Recipes
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    This is soooo wrong. When I was pregnant, I craved Cadbury Creme Eggs and ate embarrassing quantities of them. I can't stand them now...besides, they're so sugary they literally hurt my teeth. This isn't even the nastiest Creme Egg recipe...click the link in the article before the recipe and check out the Creme Eggs Benedict.

Cakespy: Cadbury Creme Deviled Eggs | Serious Eats : Recipes
    I too, do not eat the Cadbury Eggs anymore for a similar reason, but I would try that recipe.

Talking about teeth hurting, have you ever had a grilled chocolate sandwich?
    2 slices of white bread, 2 hersey bars, in between the white bread. Butter the outside of the bread and grill like a grilled cheese. OMG. You need about 4 people to split this as you cannot eat it by yourself.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Sounds kind of like Nutella-on-toast. Hey, why not add marshmallow cream and make a Smore sandwich? I just had my WLS so probably won't be trying either anytime soon. Maybe you, me, and my sister could split one.

Oh, and I love Easter eggs of all kinds. But no way could I eat a Cadbury's now, and I'm really going to have to try to control my sweet tooth until my stomach gets where it can actually hold the 1/2 cup capacity. Right now it's a major chore to get in all my protein within a full day much less anything else; I think I'd better get going to the vitamin store now!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I went and bought a Cadbury egg last year (two, actually) and it was so sweet I couldn't even finish it. I try not to eat a lot of refined sugar now, so my taste buds must not be used to so much sweetness. I was sort of sad, since I used to really love them!

My little treat for myself is the occasional Wonka Scrumdiddlyumptious bite. Milk chocolate with toffee and peanuts. YUM! If I buy the candy bar, I'll eat the whole thing. Now they sell a bag of little, individually wrapped bites and I only need one. Apparently, with me, the package is the serving size. This is why I don't buy potato chips or ice cream!

Whoops! I just noticed what thread I'm in. Sorry about that. Back to recipes!

I found this one a while back and am dying to try it!

Jennifer Garner's Shrimp and Orzo
    Serves 4
    INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup dry orzo
    * 2 teaspoons olive oil
    * 1 cup chopped onion
    * 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    * 1/4 cup white wine
    * 1 can (28 oz) whole, peeled tomatoes
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    * 1 tablespoon capers
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    * 1 pound medium shelled and deveined shrimp
    * 1/2 cup feta

PREPARATION

Cook orzo in boiling water according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add wine and cook 1 minute. Toss in drained tomatoes (reserve 1/2 cup juice). Break tomatoes into chunks. Add reserved juice, parsley, capers, oregano, basil, black pepper, and red pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes or until shrimp become opaque. Add cooked orzo to skillet. Mix well. When pasta is thoroughly heated, stir in feta. Serve immediately.

385 calories per serving, 10 g fat (3.5 g saturated fat), 45 g carbs, 3.5 g fiber, 27 g protein
    Jennifer Garner's Shrimp and Orzo: Recipes: Self.com
    Last edited by Critical; 03-24-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We are having a baby shower for my godchild. I need to make a vegetable dish. We are having lasagne roast beef roasted potatoes various salads, but we need to have a vegetable. There will be about 25 people. I'm thinking of something cold, marinated, because I have to bring it to the house that we are having the shower at and her oven will be full already.

I was at a Christmas dinner where they served asparagus bunches wrapped in shreds of carrots like you would tie something with a ribbon. I have been looking for this recipe but can't seem to find it. I'll steam the asparagus, and marinade them in EVOO and balsamic vinagar, fresh garlic, but I wasn't sure if the carrots should be par boiled before shredding. They will be used as ties. What does everyone think? Or if you have any favourite recipe for a cold vegetable dish, I'd like some ideas.

ETA: Critical, that sounds delightful!

+ Reply to Thread