+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I roasted cauliflower yesterday. I love it. I tossed in olive oil and then sprinkled garam masala and curry powder on it. When done, I tossed with chopped cilantro.

Naan:
    Ingredients
    1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons milk
    1 egg, beaten
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 1/2 cups bread flour
    2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    Directions
    1.In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
    2.Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
    3.During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
    4.At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.

We added the chopped garlic to this then ate it with goat cheese and chopped tomatoes and basil. OMG
    We did NOT let it rise for an hour (just 20 min.) and did not do the second rising and it was just wonderful.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 02-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Count your blessings!

Thank you, Gutmutter! Although I love warmed-up frozen naan from Trader Joe's, I really love the fresh naan from the Indian take-out about a mile away from us. Still, it's one of those things I want to try making myself. Looking forward to trying this recipe once my stupid cold goes away.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Its interesting how many cultures have their own form of "naan". Pita bread, tortillas, focaccia, bazlama etc.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I never heard of naan. Thanks livin for mentioning the other forms of naan. NOW I get it!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I learned about naan from my crossword puzzles, mostly.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    Its interesting how many cultures have their own form of "naan". Pita bread, tortillas, focaccia, bazlama etc.
    Of those you mentioned, it's closest to pita bread, but softer, and so much more inexpensive to make than to buy.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 02-20-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I made these this morning. They were GREAT. (and it sounds more involved than it really was to do.) And they are grab and go. The leftovers are in a bag in the fridge for breakfasts this week. No utensils needed. AND I think you could make all kinds of fillings for other meals too. Am thinking of a taco one for dinner one night.

I also added some shredded cheddar between the egg and sausage layers.

Sausage Breakfast cups

1/3lb bulk pork sausage
    1tablespoon flour
    3/4cup milk
    1/8teaspoon salt
    1/2teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
    2 Eggs
    1tablespoon half-and-half
    1/2teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/8teaspoon garlic salt or garlic salt
    1tablespoon Butter
    1/2cup frozen hashbrowns ( I used the shredded)
    1can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury Grands refrigerated biscuits
    Fresh parsley, if desired

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 375F. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked. Drain; return sausage to skillet. Stir flour into sausage. Over medium heat, gradually add milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. Stir in salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Remove from heat; set aside.

In small bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, parsley flakes, garlic salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper with wire whisk until well blended; set aside.

In another 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in potatoes. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and almost fork-tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter into potatoes. Pour egg mixture over potatoes; cook, folding potatoes into egg mixture, just until firm and moist. Remove from heat; set aside.

Separate dough into 8 biscuits; place each biscuit in ungreased 2 3/4x1 1/4-inch muffin cup. Firmly press dough in bottom and up side of each cup, forming 1/2-inch rim. Spoon potato mixture evenly into dough-lined cups. Spoon sausage mixture evenly over potato mixture (cups will be very full).

Bake 17 to 22 minutes or until edges of biscuits are deep golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. If desired, garnish each with fresh parsley.

Note: I had leftover filling which I put in ramekins and baked along side the muffin cup ones.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I did made some pita bread one time. It was very good. And much easier than expected.

MRD-When my kids were small I made a version of that with hamburger, BBQ sauce and cheddar. The sausage and egg one sounds like one we would all enjoy. Kindof like a mini-quiche
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

The Best Macaroni and Cheese Ever
    1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    2 cups whole milk
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    6 cups sharp cheddar cheese
    2 cups panko breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter, add the garlic and cook until the garlic is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the onion powder, then whisk in the flour and milk, then cook until slightly thickened. Add three cups of the cheddar cheese and stir until melted in the mixture. Toss the cheese mixture with the cooked pasta, salt and pepper to taste. Stir the remaining grated cheese into the pasta. Spoon into a large baking dish.

In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs and melted butter. I always like to add a bunch of freshly ground pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt to this mixture. Spread over the pasta. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread