+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 92 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

MRD

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;4140276;
    Spaghetti Squash I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I made this last night for supper. It was awesome! The tomatos I had weren't the best, so this will be a great summer dish when tomatos are back in season. I also microwaved the squash to cook it, instead of using the oven.

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    3 tablespoons sliced black olives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
    Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.
    Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.
    Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.
    That sounds DIVINE. I wish I had someone I could cook for a couple times a month because I would LOVE to eat this. My family would not put it in their mouths so the chances of me making it are slim.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Even in a circle of excellent "Make It From Scratch" chefs (like my college girlfriends!), everyone still needs the occasional "open some cans and dump them" options. We love this one:

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

1 onion
    1 (16 oz) can chili beans
    1 (15 oz) can black beans
    1 (15 oz) can corn
    1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
    1 (12oz) can beer
    2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
    1 (1.25 oz) taco seasoning
    3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    Sour cream
    Crushed tortilla chips

Directions

1. Place the onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
    2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream and crushed tortillas.

That sounds fabulous! I need to make that!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4114080;
    I think I could eat bacon covered cheese. Or cheese covered bacon.
    Egg-less omelet!
    If your daughter would not eat the spaghetti squash--did she stop being a vegetarian? I remember for a while you were looking all over for recipes.
    Come down here and i'll make it for us. But do it before March...oh, and bring your own feta cheese. You can put it on after I get my serving

jlccaz, I'll have to try that one, It sounds tasty.
    Last edited by queenb; 01-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

She still eats meat on occasion. But she's never been much of a squash eater and then only zucchini usually. I don't think I've ever had a spaghetti squash myself. But would like to try it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

A tasty way to use up a leftover apple:

Cottage Pancakes

1 cup flour 1 large egg, slightly beaten
    1 tbsp sugar 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream do not
    1/4 tsp salt (optional) use non fat)
    1 tbsp baking powder 1 cup milk (I use skim)
    1 large apple, peeled, cored 2 tbsp unsalted margarine, melted
    and coarsely grated

Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside. Whisk together the egg, sour cream and milk. Add the dry ingredients, stirring to combine; then add the melted margarine. Gently fold in the grated apple.

Lightly grease a nonstick griddle with cooking oil spray and heat over medium heat. Drop 1/4 of the batter for each pancake and cook for about 3 minutes, until pancakes bubble around the edges; turn over and cook for another couple of minutes. Transfer to plates and enjoy. Makes 12 pancakes.

MRD, spaghetti squash is sometimes really tasty, and sometimes tastes like 'nothing'. If you can find a homegrown one somewhere, it's much better, as is true with all squash.

Columbia MD, I wonder how many of those I could make with a gallon Ziploc full of frozen apples? (Which makes about 1.5 quarts of applesauce)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4149456;
    She still eats meat on occasion. But she's never been much of a squash eater and then only zucchini usually. I don't think I've ever had a spaghetti squash myself. But would like to try it.
    I love it! Sometimes I will mix it in with spaghetti noodles, which adds a vegetable serving and cuts down on calories. Then sauce as usual. My family likes it a lot.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4149535;
    .......Columbia MD, I wonder how many of those I could make with a gallon Ziploc full of frozen apples? (Which makes about 1.5 quarts of applesauce)

No doubt more than you want to contemplate!! My big question is how would you grate the apples? Don't they get mushy when they are defrosted? I got a dozen pancakes out of the above recipe.

P.S. I just saw how the recipe appears. I tried to make two columns for the ingredients. Won't do that again. Sorry!!

They do get kind of mushy--I was joking. I actually never knew you could freeze them until this year--I got stuck with a full crate when a restarant I was baking for went out of business.
    They do NOT get too mushy for applesauce, apple cobbler, etc

+ Reply to Thread