+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Just Recipes

These sound like the kind of fancy scones you can only get in a bakery! What a delicious addition to Christmas breakfast they would be. Can you make the dough the day before?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I haven't made them yet, so I don't know for sure, but I'll bet you can refrigerate the dough. Can one of our resident bakers confirm?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

A friend gave me a ticket to the Taste of Home Cooking show last week. If you ever get the chance to go to one, go. I got a free bag of stuff just walking in the door and they gave away over 100 door prizes (didn't win), but they cooked 10 dishes and gave those away too and man, I wanted one of those.

But they made these and we are having them Christmas morning

Bacon Cheddar scones

2 C. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tbsp baking powder
    2 tsp. sugar
    4 tbsp cold butter
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/3 c. diced chives or green onion tops
    1/2 half pound bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled
    3/4 c. heavy cream

Preheat oven to 425. Mix dry ingredients and then work in butter until you get coarse "crumbs". Mix in cheese, chives and bacon. Add cream. If dough is still crumbly, add more cream one tbsp. at a time until you get workable dough. (she did all this in the food processor)

transfer to floured surface and pat out into a 7 inch round and cut into 8 equal wedges. Transfer to greased cookie sheet and brush tops with cream.

Bake 22-24 min. or until golden brown. Serve warm
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Those sound delicious, MRD! Anything that contains cheese and bacon is all right by me!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My experience with making scones is that the dough doesn't do well if left overnight. I've made scones for a baby shower before and it's not something you can whip together while all the guests are there. So, I've had success with making the dough early, rolling it out and cutting the scones shapes and putting on the cookie sheets ready to go in the over. Then I dampen a wash cloth and cover the scones so the dough doesn't dry out. Then you can bake them at the last minute. That is the best results I've had if you can't make the dough right before cooking.

MRD

My recipe says that you can make the dough, cut and freeze, wrapping each scone individually in saran wrap. Then they can be baked from frozen state for 35-40 min. Can still brush with milk.

Critical
    Well since I have a real fondness for bread as well, the cheese and bacon in bread has to be fabulous.

I think I could eat bacon covered cheese. Or cheese covered bacon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit at McDonald's was created just for me.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And Me!

I love it with mustard added!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Go for it! I don't like to mess with perfection.
    Count your blessings!

Spaghetti Squash I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I made this last night for supper. It was awesome! The tomatos I had weren't the best, so this will be a great summer dish when tomatos are back in season. I also microwaved the squash to cook it, instead of using the oven.

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    3 tablespoons sliced black olives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
    Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.
    Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.
    Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread