+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 92 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

'Tis the season for fresh homemade salsa. I made some the other day, and it really hit the spot. I used regular large ripe tomatoes, but wondered if anyone ever uses the Roma type tomatoes in theirs. I've read that they make a delicious salsa, too.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FoRTer

Mmmm... fresh salsa. I've been making that a lot lately, too.
    And I do use romas; since they're less juicy the salsa turns out more like pico de gallo (sp?), so sometimes I'll add a bit of tomato sauce to make it soupier.

I use Roma tomatoes all the time. In a rush, I've even used a can of Dole Petite Diced Tomatoes. I just leave about a 1/4 cup out of the blending to toss in when I want it chunky.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I brought this to a pool party yesterday and can't wait to make it again!

Mojito Fruit Salad

* 1 cup sugar
    * 2 cups water
    * 1 bunch fresh mint, plus a few extra leaves chopped for garnish
    * cups white rum(I used a little more...hey, it was a big bowl of fruit )
    * 1 whole lime, juiced(I used 2)
    * fresh fruit - I did watermelon and canteloupe balls with quartered strawberries but you can use whatever floats your boat,

Prep:

Begin by placing your sugar, water, and mint in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the rum and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Turn off your heat and mix in the lime juice. Remove the pan from the burner and set aside to let cool. Strain the syrup and place in the refrigerator until it is ready to be used.

Add your fruit to a bowl, and pour the syrup on top of the fruit. Add in the extra chopped mint leaves, and serve.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

That sounds wonderful lil.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

MRD: Here is the recipe

CHICKEN PARMIGIANA

This is another recipe that has appeared many times in The Vancouver Sun. Readers say they like it because it can be put together the night before and refrigerated, or frozen.

6 large whole chicken breasts, boned, halved and skinned
    1.5 tsp. salt, divided
    1/4 tsp. ground black peppper
    flour
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 1/2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
    shortening
    3 medium onions, chopped
    3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 large cans (28 oz) whole tomatoes (I use the chopped)
    1/3 c. dry red wine (use a decent one, you can taste it)
    1 bay leaf, crushed
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    12 large slices mozzarella cheese
    2 T. grated Parmesan cheese

Flatten chicken breasts slightly. Sprinkle with 3/4 tsp salt and pepper. Dip in flour, then in eggs. Coat with cracker crumbs. brown slowly in hot shortening on both sides until golden and done. Remove.

Heat 2T shortening; add onions and garlic, saute until golden. Stir in tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, oregano and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Spoon half the sauce into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. (**Note: I find this size too small, there is too much sauce, chicken etc. A 15 inch size is better) Arrange chicken breasts on top. Tuck cheese slices between chicken pieces. Spoon on remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 375F for 25-25 minutes until heated through. Makes 12 servings.

Note: If desired, unbaked dish may be wrapped and frozen. Thaw completely before baking. Bake about 15 minutes longer to heat through..

MRD

Thanks Canuck
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

This is especially for Phone Grrrrl, but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else uses fresh tuna.

Sesame Tuna Steaks - 2 servings

2 tuna steaks (1 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
    1/4 tsp salt (optional)
    1/4 cup sesame seeds
    2 tsp sesame oil (I use olive oil)

Sprinkle both sides of tuna steaks with salt; rub with sesame seeds. In a large skillet, cook tuna in oil over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side, or more if needed, until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Cold weather dinners

Well, Fall is here and this weekend we're seeing the temperatures drop in the Northeast. I thought I'd share a family favorite, a one pot meal that my youngest dubbed "Hearthside Chicken." I use a deep skillet, but a Dutch over will do fine. It's quick and easy (about 1/2 hour including prep), and satisfying. The potato starch and the flour from dredging thicken the sauce nicely. Adjust the seasoning as you like. My family likes it 4-alarm hot. You can substitute any kind of firm fleshed squash/es for the taters if you like.

HEARTHSIDE CHICKEN

Ingredients:

6 tblsp. EVO
    3 boneless chicken breasts, pounded, dredged in flour and browned for 2 mins. each side
    2 lbs. of small russet potatoes, sliced thinly
    1 lb. of sweet chicken sausage (or any sweet sausage best Trader Joes sun dried tomato chicken sausage)
    red sweet onion chopped finely
    1 qt. chicken broth
    lb. kale, collard, spinach, or watercress
    White pepper to taste
    Onion powder to taste
    Red pepper flakes to taste
    Cayenne to taste

Brown chicken in large skillet 2 mins. per side. Cover and set aside.
    Sautee sausage and onion until onion is translucent
    Add potatoes to pan and stir thoroughly; Add seasonings
    Add all but approx. c. of the chicken broth; cover and cook over medium heat for 10-12 mins.
    When potatoes are fork tender, remove the mixture to a large bowl with a slotted spoon
    Taste the broth and re-season to taste
    Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in broth. Lay the greens on top to wilt. Cover and simmer 5 mins.
    Remove chicken breasts and place in bowl with potatoes and sausage
    Thin sauce if necessary with reserved broth, water, wine, or beer
    Reduce sauce by and finish with a little half and half (optional)
    Pour sauce over chicken and potatoes
    Let stand 5 mins. and serve
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I haven't tried this recipe, but it sounds heavenly! I'm going to have to give it a try:
    Cinnamon Spiced Scones with Butterscotch Butter
    Makes 6
    Prep time: 10 minutes
    Bake time: 16-18 minutes

INGREDIENTS
    Cinnamon Spiced Scones
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
    1/2 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing

Butterscotch Butter
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    4 tablespoons butterscotch topping

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 450F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
    2. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, then pulse to blend. Add butter, scattering it over the flour mixture. Pulse until the butter is pea-sized, about 6-8 times. Add the buttermilk, then pulse until moist crumbs form, about 6-8 times.
    3. Transfer mixture to a large piece of plastic wrap. Use the wrap to gather the crumbs together, then press the dough into a 1 thick disc about 5 in diameter. Peel away plastic wrap. With a sharp knife, cut the disc into 6 wedges.
    4. On the prepared baking sheet, arrange scones 1 apart. Lightly brush each with buttermilk, then sprinkle with sugar.
    5. Bake until golden brown, about 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    6. While the scones are baking, make the butterscotch butter. Combine butter and butterscotch in an electric mixer. Beat until completely combined, then transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to spread on scones.
    Cinnamon Spiced Scones with Butterscotch Butter | Home Made Simple

The weather has finally turned cold here - it's perfect for tea and scones!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread