+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3927196;
    I was a Hellman's girl all the way until I moved and discovered Duke's. It is the only mayo with no added sugar. I prefer it on sandwiches. But I have to use Hellman's in my potato salad. It's not the same with Duke's. But Duke's is very, very good.

Inthegarden, I've been making those cucumber sandwiches since you first posted the recipe a while back. They are great. We had them at my daughter's bridal shower this past weekend and they were a hit.
    That's the one dish that I think too, needs Hellman's. I'll make a special trip to the store for Hellman's if Im out of it and making potato salad.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3926656;
    I adore cucumbers, and all of this stuff sounds insane!!! Right up my alley!!!

When I first started making 7-Layer Salad, the recipe called for mayo with sugar sprinkled across it. I eventually changed the mayo to Miracle Whip, with less sugar, and it is a fabulous dressing for the salad, making it a crowd favorite. In fact, while growing up, Miracle Whip was simply called "salad dressing". I'm pretty sure the salad wouldn't be as good with mayo....you know how you tweak things as the years go by.
    Oh my Goodness! I love 7-layer salad, but I keep adding layers, so I just call it ?-Layer Salad now.
    As a kid, we only had Miracle Whip at our house, so imagine my surprise when I finally tasted 'real' mayonaise. My dad ate MW everything, even on his turnip greens.
    And a Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato sandwhich just isn't the same without white bread and Miracle whip.
    Glad you could use the recipe MRD. Those sandwiches bring back fond memories for me... when the ladies at the church had luncheons, showers, etc., they always served those Cucumber sandwiches.
    The strangest recipe that I have ever used mayo in, is Mayonaise Rolls, an earlier post, the recipe only makes 6 rolls, baked in a muffin tin. Quick and easy, and you wouldn't know that they had mayo in them.

Can we please move the Miracle Whip/Mayo conversation to General Food Talk? Or give it it's own thread? The reason that this thread is "Just Recipes" is to make it more user friendly.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Talk about hummus in the General Food thread made me hunt up this low-cal recipe someone emailed to me:
    Homemade Garlic Herb Hummus

Total Time: 15 minutes
    Serves: 4

Ingredients:
    * 1 (15-ounce) can of low sodium chickpeas
    * 3 teaspoons of olive oil
    * cup of fresh parsley, chopped, stems removed
    * 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    * 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    * 1 teaspoon of ground chili pepper
    * 1 teaspoon cumin

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
    I love hummus, but it's a bit high in fat and calories, so I'm going to give this recipe a try this weekend.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

But, isn't the fat healthy fat? You do need some fat in your diet for balance, just the right kind.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, but a little goes a long way. Regular hummus has about 70 calories and 6g of fat per serving....and a serving is 2 tablespoons. That's not much at all.

The recipe posted above has a serving size of 1/4 cup (4 T) with 115 calories and only 2.5 g of fat. It still has olive oil, but only about half as much as you usually find in hummus recipes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The tahini (even if good fat) in traditional recipes adds extra fat and calories to hummus, so we always leave out the tahini, and use olive oil. It's still delicious with a great texture, and we don't miss the tahini at all.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3951251;

The tahini (even if good fat) in traditional recipes adds extra fat and calories to hummus, so we always leave out the tahini, and use olive oil. It's still delicious with a great texture, and we don't miss the tahini at all.
    This is good to know, thank you. I didn't realize tahini added that much to hummus. I usually buy ready-made hummus and I'll be checking the ingredients more closely.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Great summer salad

Green Pea and Corn Salad

1 1/2 cups of frozen green peas, thawed
    1 cup of corn kernals (canned or frozen or fresh off the cob)
    2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
    3 tbsp chopped red onion
    Mayo
    S&P

Mix peas, corn, egg and onion. Add enough mayo to just barely coat, not drown. S&P to your taste. Refrigerate for a couple hours and serve.

Don't use canned peas, they are too mushy for this salad.

You can also make it with just peas and omit the corn.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It doesn't get much quicker than that! I love peas in salads....always frozen and thawed, never canned!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread