+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 91 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

There are things I like Miracle Whip for and then others I use Hellman's. When I make potato salad or chicken salad I use both. I also use ranch dressing in my potato salad.

I'm proud to say that I've never bought a jar of MW. Oh no, apparently I've been brainwashed by Hellmann's.

Maybe it's just that I don't prefer mayo (or fraudulent mayo ) to have any detectable sweetness? Someday maybe, but probably not, I will look at a MW label and figure out scientifically why I don't like it.

Btw, a few attempts to get homemade mayo to taste like Hellmann's were futile.

And no, I am not employed by Hellmann's (yet...dream job). J/K! But, maybe...

I think I've exceeded all reasonable limits on winkie smilies in a post. Oh well.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Miracle Whip and mayo are 2 totally different things. It isn't surprising that you don't like one in place of the other, but each have their place.

Miracle Whip doesn't even pretend to be mayo.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

But somehow, some people think it is mayo or a reasonable substitute. (shrug) And that's fine, each to their own.

This sounds a bit like the margarine vs. butter (futile) debate.

Back to the recipe topic...I don't have it handy, but cucumber sauce is really good. From memory, it's:

1 cup MAYO
    1 cup sour cream
    1/4-1/2 cup diced onions
    1-2 cucumbers
    1 glove garlic
    black pepper to taste
    maybe a tiny bit of salt
    maybe a little bit of hot pepper

optional (get creative): some tomato, maybe some olives

Whip all in a food processer (or dice everything very finely and stir).

Can be a chip dip, vegetable dip, served on/with gyros or other meats, on salads..the sky's the limit. I've even had it on toasted bread.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

My mother makes a similar dip without the mayo and chives instead of onions. Her first step is to peel and roughly chop the cucumbers and LET THEM DRAIN so the resulting dip is not too soupy. She uses it for finger sandwiches for her bridge club. In fact, she may wisk sour cream and cream cheese together. I'll have to find that recipe and post it when I get to Ohio (all my recipes are there) because it's really good as either a sandwich spread or a dip.
    Count your blessings!

That sounds good, too, I love chives (but I'd use the cuke liquid somehow else, even drink it).

Actually I think that cuke sauce recipe calls for salting the cukes and letting them drain...I'd forgotten about that! The last couple times I made it, I skipped that step (going for low sodium) and it still turned out fine.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3539678;
    doxie the recipe makes alot of spread.

Cucumber Sandwiches

2 large loaves thinly sliced white bread, trimmed
    2 large package cream cheese
    3 large cucumbers, grated and drained (leave some peel on)
    2 tsp. grated onion (juice included)
    salt and pepper to taste
    5 Tbsp. mayonnaise (not level)

Trim bread. Let cheese soften to room temperature. Mix cheese until very soft and creamy. Add grated cucumber which has been drained. Be sure to leave some green peeling for color. Add onion, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Mix well. It is best to make the day before needed so it will chill and congeal. Spread on bread and cut in desired shapes.
    Velvet, here is an old recipe that I use for sandwiches, dip or spread. It does make alot, but can be easily divided. I use Hellmann's in this recipe
    I use Miracle whip in Cole slaw, love the tangy flavor, and mayo in most other salad and spreads.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 06-07-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I adore cucumbers, and all of this stuff sounds insane!!! Right up my alley!!!

When I first started making 7-Layer Salad, the recipe called for mayo with sugar sprinkled across it. I eventually changed the mayo to Miracle Whip, with less sugar, and it is a fabulous dressing for the salad, making it a crowd favorite. In fact, while growing up, Miracle Whip was simply called "salad dressing". I'm pretty sure the salad wouldn't be as good with mayo....you know how you tweak things as the years go by.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-07-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I am an unabashed lover of MW. I can't imagine mixing my favorite tuna salad with anything else. Mayo is much too "eggy" tasting for me. I love cucumbers and always wondered what was in those sandwiches. I'll definitely give them a try.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3925131;
    I'm proud to say that I've never bought a jar of MW. Oh no, apparently I've been brainwashed by Hellmann's.

Maybe it's just that I don't prefer mayo (or fraudulent mayo ) to have any detectable sweetness? Someday maybe, but probably not, I will look at a MW label and figure out scientifically why I don't like it.

Btw, a few attempts to get homemade mayo to taste like Hellmann's were futile.

And no, I am not employed by Hellmann's (yet...dream job). J/K! But, maybe...

I think I've exceeded all reasonable limits on winkie smilies in a post. Oh well.

I was a Hellman's girl all the way until I moved and discovered Duke's. It is the only mayo with no added sugar. I prefer it on sandwiches. But I have to use Hellman's in my potato salad. It's not the same with Duke's. But Duke's is very, very good.

Inthegarden, I've been making those cucumber sandwiches since you first posted the recipe a while back. They are great. We had them at my daughter's bridal shower this past weekend and they were a hit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread