+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I'm going to try this recipe Saturday. It just looks amazing..
    there are also some great pics of the soup.

Spring Greens Soup

Spring Greens Soup

Serves 2 Dinner Bowls

Ingredients

2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1 russet potato (the size of a man’s fist), chopped into 1 cm dice
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1.5 cups homemade chicken stock*
    1/2 cup water
    3 cups baby spinach (or regular spinach)
    3 cups parsley
    8-10 cremini mushrooms
    1/2 tbsp butter
    Croutons
    *We used homemade chicken stock, which was pretty thick, so we added some water. If you use pre-made stock (veggie or chicken), you might want to go with just under 2 cups or add until you reach desired texture.

Method
    Method

Heat large stock pot.
    Dice bread cubes for croutons and put in a 400* oven or low broil. WATCH so they don’t burn!
    Drizzle in olive oil to hot pot and sauté celery, then add garlic a bit later.
    When garlic is golden, add potato and stock, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
    Meanwhile, sauté mushrooms in a pan with butter. Once brown and bubbly, set aside.
    Add greens to soup and cook until wilted.
    Add mixture to blender. Blend away.
    Pour into two bowls.
    Garnish with mushrooms and croutons.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Followed the link to the Web site and saw the photos -- looks great! I'll bet it's good chilled. We're going to have a warm, summery weekend, so that's going on the menu.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Okay, here's the family cauliflower recipe. It's not really low-cal, but it's totally yummy. You could probably do light mayo and low fat cheese, but that's about it. We serve this in wedges like a pie. Totally a Midwestern recipe and really good.

Tangy Mustard Cauliflower
    1 med head of cauliflower
    1/2 C mayo (NOT Miracle Whip)
    1/4 t instant minced onion
    1 t prepared mustard
    1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Remove part of cauliflower core and rise. Place in 1 1/2 quart casserole or large pie plate. Cook in the microwave, covered, for 7-9 minutes or until just tender.
    Combine onion, mayo and mustard, mixing well. Place cooked cauliflower on serving place and spread mayo mixture over top and halfway down sides. Sprinkle with cheese. Microwave, uncovered, for 1 minute, to heat the topping and melt the cheese.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Blissful simplicity!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My sister made this last night and it was wonderful:

Ingredients
    1/4 cup amber agave nectar
    1 tablespoon chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar, divided
    Cooking spray
    1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
    1 teaspoon water
    Dash of ground red pepper
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan; stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 3 minutes). Reserve 2 tablespoons agave mixture; set aside. Keep remaining 2 tablespoons mixture warm in pan.

3. Heat a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides.

4. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Brush pork with 2 tablespoons reserved agave mixture. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155° (slightly pink). Let stand 5 minutes.

5. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar, 1 teaspoon water, and red pepper to remaining 2 tablespoons agave mixture in saucepan. Cut pork crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Drizzle glaze over pork.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:208
    Fat:3.9g (sat 1.3g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein:23.9g
    Carbohydrate:17.9g
    Fiber:0.1g
    Cholesterol:74mg
    Iron:1.4mg
    Sodium:344mg
    Calcium:8mg
    Pork Tenderloin with Salty-Sweet Glaze Recipe - MyRecipes.com

She served it with some quinoa with dried apricots and plums, baby carrots drizzled with olive oil and salt and pepper roasted at 500 degrees for twenty minutes, and fresh pineapple.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

That sounds yummy, Mar! You always have the best pork tenderloin recipes! I'll have to try that one too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical I made your cauliflower recipe. Super yummy and low-carb. (easy as well) thanks!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3900562;
    Okay, here's the family cauliflower recipe. It's not really low-cal, but it's totally yummy. You could probably do light mayo and low fat cheese, but that's about it. We serve this in wedges like a pie. Totally a Midwestern recipe and really good.

Tangy Mustard Cauliflower
    1 med head of cauliflower
    1/2 C mayo (NOT Miracle Whip)
    1/4 t instant minced onion
    1 t prepared mustard
    1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
    Miracle Whip is evil. It's Hellmann's (or homemade) all the way, baby.

Regarding "light" and "low fat" items...I compromise by mostly only using the full-force stuff in smaller portions and less often.

I'm not a mustard fan (only use a teeny tiny tad in potato salad or following recipes). Strangely enough, although I can't tolerate mustard on burgers, my mother used to make a sauce of ketchup, mustard, ground beef and water, and serve it on boiled potatoes. This was way back before restaurants started serving meat sauce and toppings other than butter, sour cream and green onions on baked potatoes.

Anyway, I steam or nuke veggies, rather than boiling (unless I'm going to use the water...that water has nutrients in it). I even use the steamed or nuked liquid.

Oops, it's supposed to be "just recipes".
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

MRD

I hate miracle whip too. Hellman's for making stuff. Duke's for sandwiches and I am now in LOVE with wasabi mustard.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I use to think Miracle Whip was the only mayonnaise...but I now prefer Hellmann's mayonnaise, even for potato salad. It's creamier, or something.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread