+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 91 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3775570;
    I like easy recipes and I want to make this...I never make desserts so these may be dumb questions, but how long should this sit in the fridge for before serving? Can you make it the day before or is it better to make the same day?
    Yes. It only needs a few hours (maybe 3) to chill, but the day before is fine too.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Thanks veej!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I mentioned these the other day in the Holiday Baking thread...

Peppermint Candy Cookies

Cookie dough
    1 C butter
    1/2 C powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 1/2 C flour
    1/2 C finely chopped pecans

Filling
    1/2 C crushed peppermint candy (candy canes work best)
    1/2 C powdered sugar
    2 Tbl cream cheese
    1 tsp milk
    1 drop red food coloring (optional)

Frosting (optional)
    1 C powdered sugar
    1/4 tsp peppermint extract
    crushed peppermint candy

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    - For cookie dough ingredients: In a bowl cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and then gradually mix in the flour. Add pecans and mix well. **Warning: Be careful not to overdo the flour. Having it too dry can make it nearly impossible to construct the cookies!!

- For filling ingredients: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. This part is easy to mix by hand.

- Form cookie dough into 1 inch ball. Use thumb to make a well in the center. Drop filling (approx 1 tsp) into center of cookie. Close cookie dough over the top of the filling and seal. Place cookies approx 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet in freezer for 15 minutes (this sets the filling so it doesn't leak out in a big mess during baking!). Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

- For topping mix together powdered sugar and peppermint extract. When cookies have cooled, brush this mixture over the top of the cookies and sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top.

Notes:
    - I never use the topping. It is messy and I find it unnecessary.
    - I use my food processor to crush the candy canes. It is quick and easy and my food processor doesn't seem to have much trouble with it. The other option I have used is to put the candy canes in a tough ziploc bag and beat them with a rolling pin. You may go thru multiple ziplocs using this method because those candy canes are really hard on them!!
    - For some reason these are the only cookies that I think taste vastly better the next day. I don't care for them fresh out of the oven, but after they have cooled and sat overnight the cookie develops a soft crumbly texture that is wonderful!!
    - I cool these on a cooling rack covered with paper towel. It absorbs some of the excess butter from the shortbread.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 12-23-2009 at 11:07 PM.

MRD

Those sound divine. I may reserve them for Valentine's Day now. I bet they would be perfect for that. Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Mystic Pie

20 Ritz Crackers
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    3 egg whites
    1 c. chopped pecans
    1 tsp. vanilla

Cool Whip

Crush the crackers up finely. Add 1/2 of the sugar. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until stiff, slowly beat in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and the baking powder. Fold egg whites and crackers together. Add nuts and vanilla. Pour into a well buttered pie tin and bake at 350 for 30 min.

Cool and serve with whipped cream.

This makes its own crust.

Looking for some Weight Watcher friendly recipes?

Kitchen Parade: Weight Watchers Recipes

Thank you allot for this topic

Pies are delicious
    Peace and mercy of God be upon you
    Ingredients:
    1 - the dough
    2 cups flour
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon margarine
    teaspoon salt
    1 cup water
    2 - fillings
    Margarine
    Sugar
    Rose water
    Coconut (T s) minced fine

Way:
    - Combine all ingredients except water in the perineum with a good kneading, and add the water gradually until we have a smooth dough cohesive.
    - Leave the dough to rest for a quarter of an hour.
    - A disc of dough on the body after the hand-painted with oil for ease of control in the dough, and divide the dough into equal-Cours, and then leave the dough to relax.
    - Paint the counter or table oil, and singled out the dough Balnchabp until we have a thin circular layer, and brush by a large spoon of ghee or butter (fattening phase) and close to a semi-circle and left to rest.
    Withdraw the dough in the form of a long line, and by the hands by the withdrawal of the dough and roll it the other at the same time so we get the asymptotic form of the croissant, and leave the dough to relax.
    - Pressure on the edge of the dough, cabbage, and devotes little Balnchabp a circle.
    - The volatility of the dough on the surface and the other equipped with padding by adding sugar and rose water on the butter and put stuffing in the middle of the dough, then add nuts (walnuts) chopped fine and close in the form of a triangle, and bake in the oven temperature to 250 lowland surface.
    - Can be stuffed cream, and shall be a lock dough different to easily recognize the fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3790651;
    Mystic Pie

20 Ritz Crackers
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    3 egg whites
    1 c. chopped pecans
    1 tsp. vanilla

Cool Whip

Crush the crackers up finely. Add 1/2 of the sugar. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until stiff, slowly beat in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and the baking powder. Fold egg whites and crackers together. Add nuts and vanilla. Pour into a well buttered pie tin and bake at 350 for 30 min.

Cool and serve with whipped cream.

This makes its own crust.
    This recipe is one of my families favorite except where I am from they call it Cracker Pie. We used to get it in a restaraunt and I finally found the recipe.

MRD

This is our favorite salmon recipe.

Bourbon Salmon

This is a marinade for salmon steaks. We usually grill them, but you can bake it in the oven.

4 oz. soy sauce
    4 oz. bourbon
    4 cloves of garlic chopped
    2 fingers of fresh ginger, grated
    2 oz of olive oil
    1/4 c. br. sugar
    2 tbsp. honey
    1 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. allspice
    1/2 tsp. ground pepper

Mix together and put in ziplock bag with salmon fillets. Marinate at least 3 hours, but the longer the better.

And this is not sweet even though it has the brown sugar and honey. It has a wonderful flavor. I had been making it for a while when my husband saw the ingredients and he said had he seen them first, he may not have eaten it, but that the flavor was outstanding and he didn't know it had all that cinnamon and other "baking spices" in it.

MRD

My SIL made this last weekend when I was in Florida. She says she also fiddles with the recipe (not the topping) and I probably will too as I can't seem to make anything exactly as the recipe says.
    And don't freak out about the topping. It's GOOD.
    Her friend from NOLA said you can make it with crawfish too.

SHRIMP PIE
    3/4 C butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 stems celery chopped
    3/4 cup bellpepper,chopped
    3-5 cloves garlic chopped
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1/2 cup green onion and 3" of top, chopped
    1/2 cup parsley minced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp creole seasoning (Tony's)
    1 -2 lbs crawfish or shrimp cut in half
    1 can butterbeans drained
    cornstarch to thicken if necessary

Topping
    1 box jiffy corn muffin mix
    1 box jiffy yellow cake mix

In a large skillet, saute onion, celery, pepper in butter. Add garlic and cook until soft. Add cream of celery soup and simmer, covered for 10 min. Add green onion, parsley and seasoning and simmer for 5 min. Add butter beans and shrimp and cook until shrimp just turns pink, just a couple min. Thicken if necessary with a little cornstarch. Let come to room temp.
    Prepare the Jiffy corn bread and Jiffy cake mix in separate bowls according to package directions and gently fold the two together. If your skillet is oven proof, pour topping over room temp filling. If not, transfer filling to casserole and pour topping over. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. until topping is browned and cooked through.

+ Reply to Thread