+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

FORT Regular

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3765891;
    Compliments of rosie, post #589!
    Thanks...i found it, made it and ate it. YUM!

FORT Fogey

I stumbled across a really good recipe this morning which I intend to try.

I was watching "Lidia's Italy" on PBS' "Create" channel. (I think it also runs on many PBS "regular" channels.) She made "Walnut Pesto" which involved running some walnuts through a food processor and adding Ricotta cheese by hand and blending (by hand) with the walnuts and adding some chopped parsely.

All is folded into hot freshly-made pasta.

This looks sooo good and is sooo simple to make that even I could do it. I intend to crush the walnuts using a mortar and pestle since I don't have a food processsor.

Many really good Italian recipes can be found at

Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy New cookbook and sweepstakes

I really like her show because she doesn't talk down to newbies like me but she does explain things--like if you're adding something to some food that has already been cooking and is hot--be sure that the new ingredients are heated up also so you don't change the temperature--and process--of the food that is being added to.

I like to learn things like that in the doing of it.

And I like her downhome attitude. And how much Italian culture and history she gets into her half hour shows along with demonstrating her recipes.

Does anyone have a really good cheeseball recipe they'd care to share? Ive done a lot of online searching of recipes for one, but I thought someone's favorite recipe might be better. I'd like to have one for Christmas Eve with assorted crackers.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

To the Point

Holiday Cheeseball

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese

1 (4-ounce) package blue cheese

2 tablespoons TABASCO® brand Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce

1 large clove garlic, minced

1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

If you like blue cheese this is a fantastic cheese ball. I typically make mine with some regular Tabasco sauce.

1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

1/2 cup finely chopped parsley

Combine cream cheese, blue cheese, TABASCO® Green Sauce and garlic in a food processor and process until well blended. Add cheddar cheese and process until cheese is blended. Shape mixture into two balls and wrap in waxed paper. Chill until firm.

Combine walnuts and parsley and coat cheese balls with mixture. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill. Serve with crackers or apple slices.

Thank you, NCLurker. That recipe sounds really good! I'll try it and let you know how it turns out.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

To the Point

My kids get upset when I don't make at least one recipe during the holidays. Haven't made one yet this year and they are asking about it. Not sure I'll get to it. It's definitly different than the average cheeseball.

This is a really easy recipe for Chocolate Mousse Pie if you need a chocolate dessert over the holidays. It can be made in a either a graham cracker crust or a chocolate crust, store-bought or homemade. My family prefers a homemade Oreo cookie crust so I've included that recipe too.

Chocolate Mousse Pie

4 ounces chocolate chips (2/3 cup)
    4 ounces cream cheese (softened slightly)
    3 Tablespoons milk
    ˝ cup confectioners’ sugar
    8 ounce tub Cool Whip
    9” prepared pie crust

In a 1 quart glass bowl combine chocolate chips, cream cheese and milk. Microwave on high 60 seconds or until chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth. Blend in sugar. Cool. Stir ˝ cup Cool Whip into chocolate mixture then fold in remaining Cool Whip. Pour into pie crust. Chill until serving time. Top with more Cool Whip or Reddi-wip.
    Oreo Pie Crust

18 Oreo Cookies, finely crushed
    4 Tablespoons melted butter

Stir together the cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Using your fingertips, firmly and evenly press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9” pie plate.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

MRD

Oh man that sounds good. I'm taking that to the next pot luck I have to go too. Or maybe just make it all for me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

This green bean side dish is delicious. It goes especially well with turkey or ham.

1 1/2 pounds green beans
    1/4 cup butter
    1 small onion, chopped
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon each pepper, thyme leaves
    and marjoram leaves
    1 cup milk
    1 cup shredded swiss cheese
    1/3 cup dry sherry

Break off ends and cut beans into 2 inch lengths. Cook in boiling salted water until tender-crisp (about 5 minutes);drain immediately and set aside.
    In a wide frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until soft. Blend in flour, salt, peper, thyme, and marjoram and cook, stirring, until bubbly. Gradualy pour in milk and continue cooking and stirring until sauce boils and thickens.
    Remove from heat and blend in 1/2 cup of the cheese as well as sherry. Stir in beans and turn into a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole or 9-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
    Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes (40 minutes if you've refrigerated it) or until heated through.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3774377;
    This is a really easy recipe for Chocolate Mousse Pie if you need a chocolate dessert over the holidays. It can be made in a either a graham cracker crust or a chocolate crust, store-bought or homemade. My family prefers a homemade Oreo cookie crust so I've included that recipe too.
    I like easy recipes and I want to make this...I never make desserts so these may be dumb questions, but how long should this sit in the fridge for before serving? Can you make it the day before or is it better to make the same day?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread