+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 92 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3753968;
    These sound fantastic. Once you dip them in chocolate, can you put them back in the freezer?
    GA I put them back in the freezer and they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;3754032;
    GA I put them back in the freezer and they were fine.
    Thanks nennie! Tips I found online, insert the toothpick prior to freezing, or pour some melted chocolate into an icecream scoop and dip from there. Its not a big drop if them fall off the toothpick.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3754038;
    Thanks nennie! Tips I found online, insert the toothpick prior to freezing, or pour some melted chocolate into an icecream scoop and dip from there. Its not a big drop if them fall off the toothpick.
    Thanks for the tip great idea.......I make the martha washington balls and I could do the same thing in dipping them.

MRD

what's a Martha Wasington ball?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3754111;
    what's a Martha Wasington ball?
    It has powdered sugar, coconut, ground pecans, butter and sweetened condensed milk and you mix it together and make balls and dip them in chocolate.

MRD

Oh post the recipe please Nennie

My hubby would LOVE those Martha Washington ball candies. He loves coconut. His aunt always use to make the seven layer candy for him at Christmas. It was a tradition. Those have the coconut layer in them, too..plus, condensed milk. Oh, SO rich!!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

MRD

This is the only recipe I make that uses chicken broth and milk in the grits. Normally I make them with water. BUT, the chicken broth really adds to the grits when they are being made for something other than breakfast, like for casseroles and stuff.

South Carolina Shrimp and Grits

Ingredients
    For the grits:
    3 cups chicken broth
    3 cups heavy cream (I actually use half and half or whole milk and it's fine)
    1 cup stone-ground grits (the long cooking kind. Don't use quick or instant)
    2 tablespoons butter
    salt
    pepper

For the shrimp:
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium white onion, minced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 pound spicy spicy sausage, cut in chunks (Italian sausage is also good in this. Just don't use a smoked sausage like kielbasa)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups chicken stock
    2 to 3 bay leaves
    2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
    Pinch cayenne pepper, adjust to personal preference
    1/2 lemon juice
    salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

For the grits:
    Directions
    Place a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the broth and cream. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal. When the grits begin to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, thin it out with a little extra cream. Season with salt and pepper.

For the shrimp:
    Place a deep skillet over medium heat and coat with the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes to soften. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until there is a fair amount of fat in the pan and the sausage is brown. Sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to create a roux. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and continue to stir to avoid lumps. Toss in the bay leaves. When the liquid comes to a simmer, add the shrimp. Poach the shrimp in the stock for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are firm and pink and the gravy is smooth and thick. Add the cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; Spoon the grits into bowls. Add the shrimp mixture on top. Serve immediately

This is a relatively quick dish and I cook the grits while I cook the shrimp part, so the whole thing can be on the table in 30 min.

MRD

THis is another recipe where using chicken stock instead of water to make the grits gives it a richer flavor

Cherese Grits Casserole

2 c. hot cooked grits
    1 lb. bulk hot sausage
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 lb. grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 stick butter

Mix grits, sausage and cheese in saucepan until cheese melts. Place mixture in a greased casserole. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

NOTE: you can turn down the heat buy using mild sausage or turn it up by adding a finely chopped jalepeno pepper or two to the mxiture

MRD

I like this on grits, especially for supper. I know people that serve it over biscuits. I prefer it on grits.

Mama Lucy's Tomato Gravy
    2 tablespoons bacon grease (or butter)
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 teaspoon sugar (cuts the acid in the tomatos)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    15-ounce can diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup milk

Use a big cast iron skillet. Heat the grease or butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour with a fork or a whisk until it is lump free. Simmer for a min. until the roux turns a rich brown color. Add the sugar, salt and little less than 1/4-teaspoon of pepper. Add the tomatoes. This gravy is not smooth, the lumpy tomatoes are actually what give it the characteristic texture which Tomato Gravy is famous for. When it begins to boil and thicken, add the milk gradually. Stir it all up and let it come to a slow simmer and thickens up again.

Serve over hot grits or biscuits

I also like to crumble the bacon up that I made to get the bacon grease on top of the tomato gravy, on top of the grits.

+ Reply to Thread