+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

livin4, that is the most interesting use of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) that I've seen. Also, I found out recently that flour is made from them.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I made this new soup tonight and it turned out really good. The prep for it does take a bit, but overall it was really worth it. I got the recipe off the foodgawker site but I guess it's an old Bon Apetit recipe. When I made this, I did add a little more spice to mine and I didn't dredge the chicken in flour. I wanted to keep it a little healthier.

Chicken Chili Verde

Adapted from Bon Appétit, December 1996
    Serves 6

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2" pieces
    flour
    5 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    3 poblano peppers, seeded & chopped
    2 cubanelle peppers, sedded & chopped
    2 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
    3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    8 tomatillos, husked & coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 cinnamon stick

Pour some flour into a shallow dish. Sprinkle half the chicken with salt & pepper. Coat with flour. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Tap any excess flour off the chicken pieces & add to the skillet. Saute for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining chicken. Transfer to a large, heavy pot.
    Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Add the onions & garlic & saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Transfer to the pot with the chicken. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet & saute the peppers for 4 minutes; transfer to pot. Repeat with the corn, saute for 1 minute and transfer to the pot.
    Add the broth, tomatillos, oregano, chili powder, cumin, paprika & cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat & simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
    Serve with tortilla chips & a dollop of sour cream.

While it was cooking it made my whole house smell so good because of the cinnamon stick in the broth. This is definitely a keeper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3740667;
    livin4, that is the most interesting use of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) that I've seen. Also, I found out recently that flour is made from them.
    It is an interesting recipe I'm going to try it this week. I've never heard of chickpea flour. I'm looking to try some coconut flour soon though. It's supposed to be very good substitute for wheat flour with very few carbs. Almond flour is another good choice but it's higher in fat.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3740661;
    Here are a couple of recipes from Oct/2009 issue of Eating Well:

Spiced Chickpea Nuts

Rinse one can chickpeas. Blot dry and toss with 1T olive oil, 2 t.ground cumin, 1t . dried marjoram and 1/4 t. each ground allspice and salt. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 450 in the upper third of the oven, stirring once or twice, until browned and crunchy, 25 to 30min. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes. Makes 1 cup. Per 1/4c serving is 103 calories. you get fiber, protein.
    Yum. I love chickpeas and often just eat then right out of the can (after draining and rinsing).
    I may make this tonight. (because I ALWAYS have chickpeas on the shelf)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I tried this one last night and love it! It's very similar to something I tried at a restaurant recently(except the one there also had diced cucumbers and red onions). I only used half the olives it called for since I'm not crazy about them and used basil instead of the parsley.

Mediterranean Orzo

1/2 pound orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 1 cup)
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/3 cup pine nuts
    1 small garlic clove
    1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
    6 ounces cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pint)
    1/4 pound feta
    1/2 cup Kalmata olives, cut in half.
    1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar

Directions
    Fill a 4-quart pasta pot three fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil for orzo.
    In a small heavy skillet heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and sauté pine nuts with salt to taste, stirring frequently, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to paper towels to drain and cool.
    Mince garlic and chop parsley. Quarter tomatoes and coarsely crumble feta. In a large bowl whisk together garlic, parsley, vinegar, remaining tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Add tomatoes, olives and feta and gently toss to combine.
    Cook orzo in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. In a large sieve drain orzo and rinse slightly until just warm. Drain orzo well and add to tomato mixture, tossing until just combined.
    Serve orzo topped with nuts.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3744000;
    . . . used basil instead of the parsley . . .
    After looking at the recipe, I'd use sweet basil, too. Thank you for posting this! It looks delicious.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

This is my daughter in law's original recipe. She won the recipe contest when the local Trader Joe's opened in her town.

Michigan Cherry Turkey Wraps

Sun dried tomato tortillas (or any flavor)
    whipped cream cheese
    cherry preserves
    lettuce leaves
    smoked or plain turkey
    cheddar-jack cheese slices

Spread a thin layer of cream cheese and cherry preserves on the tortillas. Layer with lettuce, turkey and cheese. Roll up. Can be served as a wrap or sliced into pinwheels. Pinwheels work best if left to chill for a few hours before slicing.

There was a request in the General Food Talk thread for me to post this recipe, so here it is...

Buckeyes

1 stick margarine, softened
    1 lb. powdered sugar
    1 ½ cups smooth peanut butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla

6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
    6 ounces milk chocolate chips
    ¼ cup paraffin

Mix first four ingredients. Roll into balls. Chill (or freeze). Melt chocolate chps and paraffin in top of double boiler. Insert toothpick into chilled peanut butter ball and dip into chocolate just enough to create buckeye. Place on waxed paper.
    The original recipe called for the peanut butter balls to just be chilled, but they get too soft for me that way and fall off of the toothpick, so I freeze them.

When done, they should resemble a buckeye nut or horse chestnut, with a bit of the peanut butter ball peeking through the chocolate.

Remember.......Wolverines devour all Buckeyes!!! Go Blue!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

These sound fantastic. Once you dip them in chocolate, can you put them back in the freezer?

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3753554;
    There was a request in the General Food Talk thread for me to post this recipe, so here it is...

The original recipe called for the peanut butter balls to just be chilled, but they get too soft for me that way and fall off of the toothpick, so I freeze them.

When done, they should resemble a buckeye nut or horse chestnut, with a bit of the peanut butter ball peeking through the chocolate.

Remember.......Wolverines devour all Buckeyes!!! Go Blue!!!
    A friend gave me this recipe last Christmas and I made them and they are fantastic....my family loved them. I agree it is easier if you freeze them.

+ Reply to Thread