+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 93 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

It must be the mayo in the recipe. I made a couple batches of yeast biscuits awhile ago. They were very good. Unusual.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Mustardy Tuna Pasta Salad

1 box of bow tie pasta (16 oz)
    1 can of your favorite tuna
    1/2 pound of fresh snow peas or 1/2 can of canned peas
    1 can of sliced of sliced olives
    3/4 cup of olive oil
    3-4 TBSP of Dark and Spicy mustard
    salt and pepper to taste

1. If you using fresh snow peas, steam them until they are slightly soft
    2. Cook and drain pasta
    3. add mustard to olive oil, whisk until well mixed.
    4. In a large bowl combine all ingredients
    5. Add salt and pepper to taste
    6. Can be served when still warm, or put in fridge for two hours for cold pasta salad

This is a great recipe because you can switch out the tuna for something else, salmon, cooked chicken or beef, etc. I've also experimented with different vegetables. I've taken this dish to many picnics and potlucks and get some nice compliments for something that is so easy to make.

Rosie asked for a BBQ sauce, this is one my nephew made up and it is yummy. I'm usually eating it out of the pan while its cooking , I love it so much.

BBQ Sauce

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    3 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    3 tablespoons dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon MSG, optional
    2 cups ketchup
    1 tablespoon liquid wood smoke flavoring
    2 teaspoons cayenne
    1 cup tomato puree ( I just use the whole can it's just a tad more)
    1 cup molasses
    2 teaspoojns Tabasco sauce
    1 cup onion, finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon graulated garlic, or fresh to taste
    1 teaspoon oregano

Mix all ingredients in pot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn to simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. This is quite spicy, so use less Tabasco sauce or cayenne to "tame" it down.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

This is a different take in Caprese Salad. Since I've got tons of tomatoes (my own and ones given to me) at my house, I'm looking for recipes. I'll be trying this one for sure:

cubed, hacked caprese
    3/4 to 1 pound fresh mozzarella, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 pound peak-season tomatoes (I prefer roma for this because they’re less wet, but other varieties also work), diced into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed or 1 3/4 cups white beans that you’ve cooked fresh
    1/4 cup pesto (or a handful of slivered basil plus 1/4 cup olive oil)
    3 to 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix and season and then re-season again to adjust to your taste. Eat at once or keep it in the fridge up to a few days (really, it will depend on how fresh your mozzarella is; the made-daily stuff is only good for a day or two, most others will last nearly a week).
    cubed, hacked caprese | smitten kitchen

The pictures on that blog are making me hungry!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

My daughter found this recipe and I had to doctor it up some, but its so good, we now have it about once a week and while it sounds complicated, it isn't.

oh and I use chicken stock because it just tasted better to me than the vegetable stock. Daughter doesn't mind, she's not a vegetarian for ethical reasons, just taste, but the chicken stock is much more flavorful, but it can be done with veggie stock.

And you may be able to substitute the roasted red peppers with say mushrooms? I would think you could experiment a lot with this recipe.

Oh and it can be frozen and reheated in the microwave, so the big batch it makes for the 3 of us, I can freeze in individual servings for later.

Artichoke Lasagna

9 lasagna noodles
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1 med. onion chopped
    3 garlic cloves minced
    1 cup vegetable stock (again, I used a chicken boullin cube and next time I make it, I am going to just use chicken stock. It has more flavor)
    1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
    2 9 oz. boxes of frozen artichokes partially thawed
    1 10 ox box of frozen chopped spinach partially thawed
    1 cup roasted chopped sweet red peppers (I bought a jar from the same aisle as the olives)
    1/4 cup white wine

Sauce
    2 tsp. butter or marg.
    3 tbsp. flour
    2 cans 12 oz evaporated milk
    1/2 cup grated parmesan
    1 cup mozzerella shredded
    1/2 cup provolone shredded
    1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg

Topping
    3 tbsp. seasoned dry bread crumbs

1 in large pot of boiling water, cook noodles until just tender about 10-12 min. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.

Meanwhile in no stick frying pan over med. heat, warm oil. Add onions and garlic and cook stirring frequently for 2-3 min. Stir in stock and basil and bring to a boil. Add artichokes, spinach and peppers and wine.
    Cover and cook for 5 min. Remove lid and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Set aside. (if there is a little liquid left you can add it to the sauce mixture when you stir in the milk)

In 1 qt. saucepan over med. heat, melt butter and whisk in flour and cook stirring for 2 min. slowly whisk in milk. Add cheeses and nutmeg and cook stirring constantly for 5-7 min. until it thickens and boils.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with spray. spread about 1/3 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the pan and top with 3 noodles. Spread with half of artichoke mixture. Spoon another 1/2 of sauce over artichoke mixture and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. of bread crumbs. Repeat procedure.
    Top with remaining 3 noodles and spread reamaining sauce on top and top with remaining breadcrumbs. cover with foil and bake 30 min. Uncover and bake 10 more min. Remove from oven and let stand 10 min. then cut and serve.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3709762;
    This is a different take in Caprese Salad. Since I've got tons of tomatoes (my own and ones given to me) at my house, I'm looking for recipes. I'll be trying this one for sure:

cubed, hacked caprese | smitten kitchen

The pictures on that blog are making me hungry!
    I just love smittenkitchen! Actually pretty much all food blogs are great. I wonder if Pioneer Woman started it all? Probably not..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

I have cooked these in the crockpot, but you do need to brown these chops in the skillet first before crockpotting. Normally, I just make them in the skillet.

Smothered Pork Chops

3-6 pork chops
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    2 tbsp. brown sugar.
    Flour to dredge in
    Oil for browing

1 onion sliced
    1 lemon sliced

Mix salt, pepper and brown sugar together. Rub a little bit of this mixture on both sides of the pork chop (don't worry, it doesn't make them sweet).
    Dredge chop in flour and brown both sides in hot oil. (this is where I transfer to crockpot, but you can keep them in the skillet you browned them in. Just drain off the oil).
    Layer chops and onion and lemon slices in skillet or crockpot. Put in enough water to just barely cover the chops. Cover and cook in skillet on low for 90 min. In the crockpot, I put them on low for about 2 hours or more.

They are falling off the bone good, not dry at all.

MRD

Good party food and can be adapted to any holiday, using different cookie cutters.

Hot parmesan puffs
    Ingredients
    16 slices bread
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons grated onion
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Additional Parmesan cheese
    Directions
    Using a 2-in. round or diamond cookie cutter, cut shapes from bread slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 8-10 minutes or until toasted.
    Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, onion and cayenne. Spread on bread. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: about 3 dozen.

For Christmas, I used a Christmas tree cookie cutter and sprinkled minced parlesy on them to make them more green. For Valentines day, heart cookie cutter and spinkle of paprika for color. For Halloween, going to use ghost cookie cutters and leave the filling white.
    They are easy.
    I've also substituted butter for the cream cheese when I was out and they were just as good, but a tad greasier.

Corn Casserole
    1 stick softened butter
    1 can ( 14 3/4 oz. ) creamed corn
    1 can (14 3/4 oz. ) corn
    1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
    1 cup sour cream
    1 egg

Mix all ingredients together, and pour into 2 1/2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Casserole will be golden brown on top, and knife inserted in center is clean. If runny, bake 10 - 15 minutes longer.

Enjoy, ArchieComicFan!
    "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3730599;
    Enjoy, ArchieComicFan!
    Thanks, I will! I actually have all ingredients on hand and will give it a try tomorrow.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread