+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 91 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

MRD

Re: Just Recipes

This is absolutely fabulous and perfect for summer. I served it room temp and thought it was better than straight out of the fridge. I don't refrigerate my tomatos anyway. But the cuke was in the fridge, so I took it out when I started the peas marinating.

Tomato and Cucumber Salad

1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed and drained well
    1 1/2 cups cucumbers, in bite size chunks
    1 1/2 cups tomatoes, in bite size chunks
    2 T balsamic vinegar
    3 T good quality extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup crumbled Feta

Put chickpeas in a ziplock bag and add vinegar and olive oil. Let marinate about 4 hours (on the counter is fine, no need to refrigerate)/.
    Put tomatos and cukes in a bowl, add basil, salt and pepper. Empty ziplock with chickpeas and marinade onto the tomatos and cukes, using all the marinade. Toss gently, add feta and serve. You may with to add a little extra balsamic vinegar and olive oil if it doesn't coat all the veggies well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3657825;
    Trista,
    I thought vegans will not eat cheese unless it's the special simulated vegan cheese?
    The cheese is optional-it's more of a garnish. You could use whatever you wanted for a garnish, I just used a little bit of my good ol' Tillamook medium cheddar.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I made this cassoulet today in my slow cooker. It was fabulous! Part-way through cooking, it seemed like there wasn't enough liquid, so I added some white wine. Next time, I will probably substitute wine for the water in the recipe and add some more wine on top of that. Who needs water when you can have wine!?

Easy Crockpot Cassoulet

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
    1/4 pound cooked smoked sausage, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    4 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons water
    3 cans (about 15 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
    3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion to hot oil; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in chicken, sausage, garlic, thyme, and pepper. Cook 5 to 8 minutes, or until chicken and sausage are browned. Stir in tomato paste and water; transfer to slow cooker. Stir great northern beans into the chicken mixture; cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours. Before serving, sprinkle parsley over cassoulet.
    Serves 6.
    I got the recipe from about.com: Hearty Cassoulet Recipe - Crockpot Cassoulet with Chicken and Beans

Oh, and I skipped the parsley since I'm not a fan and I used turkey smoked sausage instead of the fattier kind. The chicken was SO tender, it practically melted in my mouth. I also liked that it was a relatively inexpensive recipe and pretty healthy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

SMOKED SAUSAGE AND LENTIL GUMBO

3/4 lb. smoked sausage (andouille or polish), sliced 1/4 inch thick
    1/3 cup Wesson Oil (about)
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    4 stalks of celery, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
    2 medium-size onions, chopped
    2 large carrots, finely chopped
    2 quarts chicken broth (stock)
    1-3/4 cups (3/4 lb ) lentils
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne

In a 5-6 quart pan over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring until brown. Spoon from pan, reserve.
    Add oil to drippings in pan to make 1/3 cup of fat. Add flour; stir until mixture is red-brown, about
    10 minutes.

Add celery, garlic, onion, and carrots; cook stirring until vegetables begin to soften, about 3
    minutes. Add reserved sausage, chicken broth, lentils, worcestershire, pepper and cayenne. Bring
    to boiling over high heat; reduce to simmer, cover, and cook until lentils are soft when pressed,
    about 40 mins.

I got this recipe from Sunset Magazine in the 1970's.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

Thanks for posting that, live4romance! Since my lentils are pre-cooked, would you just keep that cooking time and add the lentils later?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Even dry lentils soften up very quickly. Even with the TJ's canned, I'd keep the cooking time the same so that the lentils can absorb the flavor.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

This is one of the recipes I'm making for Labor Day. We're going to grill them. I'm making tzatziki sauce and serving with tomatos and onion.

Gyros Burgers

1/2 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 pound lean ground lamb
    1/2 onion, grated
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 slice bread, toasted and crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon dried savory
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 dash ground cumin

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil grate.
    In large bowl, combine ground beef, ground lamb, onion, garlic and bread crumbs. Season with savory, allspice, coriander, salt, pepper and cumin. Knead until mixture is stiff. Shape into 4 very thin patties (1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick).
    Cook patties for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through

Gyros Burgers - All Recipes
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I was looking through my grandmoms old recipes, and found this roll recipe. I remembered her making these rolls and was shocked that mayo was an ingredient. I made them tonight, and they were quick, easy and good.

Mayonnaise Rolls

1 cup self-rising flour
    3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 tsp. sugar

Mix all ingredients together and spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown. Makes 6 rolls.

Whoa that is an unusual recipe inthegarden. Is the texture more like a biscuit?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3690105;
    Whoa that is an unusual recipe inthegarden. Is the texture more like a biscuit?
    No, not a dense texture, more like a muffin, or maybe a yeast biscuit. We had the left overs this morning with breakfast, split open with butter and honey. We thought they were good.

+ Reply to Thread