+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 92 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Premium Member

Re: Just Recipes

I have this in the oven right now. The recipe came from here: Blueberry Cobbler with White Peach Ice Cream! : Zoe Bakes I'm not making the ice cream, but picked up some Breyer's peach ice cream to go with it. I didn't have any fresh tarragon so I used fresh lemon thyme from my herb garden.

Blueberry Cobbler

Preheat oven to 375 F

5 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
    4-5 tablespoons sugar (depending on your taste)
    1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    Zest of 1/2 a lemon
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

For the topping:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    3 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon fresh tarragon chopped (thyme would be lovely too)
    3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
    1/2 cup whole milk (I used 1/2 and 1/2 because it is what I had on hand)

Prepare the filling:
    mix together the sugar, cornstarch, zest and black pepper. Toss with the blueberries and put them in a baking dish or individual ramekins.
    Prepare the topping: grate the butter and put in the freezer to set hard, while you prepare other ingredients

In a large bowl mix together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and tarragon. Add the frozen butter and rub between your fingers until it looks like a course meal.

Add the milk and stir it with a spoon just until combined. If you over do it they will be tough when baked.

Scoop up the biscuit batter and create 2″ loose balls and place on top of the fruit. Again, donít overwork. It is okay if they are a little funky looking. If you are making individual cobblers made a biscuit that is just smaller than the ramekin. They donít need to cover all the fruit, but depending on the size of your baking dish they may.

Bake for about 30 minutes for the individual ramekins. They should be golden brown and the berries should bubble around the biscuits. The large baking dish will take about 60-75 minutes.

Syrup for Freezing Fruit

Extra-Light Syrup

1 1/4 cup sugar
    5 1/2 cups water
    yields 6 cups

Light Syrup

2 1/4 cups sugar
    5 1/4 cups water
    yields 6 1/2 cup

Medium Syrup

3 1/4 cups sugar
    5 cups water
    yields 7 cups

Heavy Syrup

4 1/4 cups sugar
    4 1/4 cups water
    yields 7 cups

In all recipes, bring water to a boil, add sugar, remove from heat and stir until all sugar is disolved. Let cool and pour over fruit. I add Fruit Fresh ,according to the directions, to the syrup.

MRD

We've been making these a lot lately and wrapping up wedges and putting in the fridge to microwave for breakfast

Kitchen Sink Frittata

1 dozen eggs
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp ground dry mustard
    1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)

This is the basic recipe. and should all be whisked together.

Meanwhile preheat oven to 350. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat about 2 tbs. olive oil and saute one small onion chopped, 2 cloves of garlic minced and 1/2 red bell pepper chopped. Pour egg mixture over the sauted veggies and let set for about 1 min. Then stir well. Keep stirring until mixure gets sort of lumpy, but still not solid. Put skillet in oven and bake for 10-15 min. until set.

You can add all kinds of veggies and/or meat to the egg mixture before pouring it in the skillet.

What I add:
    1 tomato chopped
    1 c. sliced mushrooms
    2 cups spinach chopped
    1 c. basil (loosely packed) chopped.

I have also been known to add any leftover veggies from the night before like cooked grean beans, broccali, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Those sound delicious, mrd. I'm going to try those this weekend.

MRD

What I like is that I can make this and it's HUGE. So I wrap the wedges individually and put in the fridge and I have breakfast for several days. So I only have to cook in the mornings (I hate cooking in the mornings, it's usually all I can do to put coffee on) maybe 2 days a week.

Oh and you can use egg beaters too, if you want.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I made this soup tonight-I even got my brother, who hates anything vegetarian, to give this a try, and he actually liked it! The soup itself is vegetarian, however you will need to use a different thing in place of the milk if you are vegan.

Olive oil (1)
    3 carrots, sliced fairly thin (2)
    1.5 cups onions (about two full slices from a regular-sized Walla Walla sweet) (3)
    Two large potatoes, cut into fairly small wedges (1"x1" works) (4)
    5 cloves garlic (5)
    Two cans vegetable broth (6), or 32 ounces-if you don't have exactly 32, make up the difference with water.
    2.5 cups skim milk (7) (You can do any other percentage, but I prefer cooking with skim)
    1 cup flour (8) (You can do less, but I like a nice, thick soup)
    Garlic powder (9)
    Tarragon (10)
    Salt (11)
    Grated Tillamook cheddar cheese, to taste (12) (It can be any brand but I only use Tillamook-gotta support the Oregon dairy farmers!)

In a soup pot or large pot, heat ingredient 1 until the bottom of the pan is coated (two tablespoons is good, but I just eyeball it because olive oil is good for you), and add in ingredients 2 and 3 and saute for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add in ingredients 4-6 and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender (if the skin is falling off, that's a good thing). Whisk the milk and flour together, and after the potatoes are tender, stir it in. Stir frequently, add in ingredients 9-11 to taste, and bring the heat up to medium-high, let boil for 3 minutes before turning heat to low. When you don't see as much separation of the milk, oil, and broth (when it looks white, not layered), add in cheddar cheese to taste. Serve hot with cheddar cheese on top. This will make at least 3-4 servings, and the beauty of it is that it's a one-dish recipe, without dirtying up too much else.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I came across a simple recipe for Taco Seasoning Mix, and I plan to make it today (it is rated 5 stars with over 1000 ratings).

1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

When I first got my Crock pot, my mom sent away for those cookbooks they advertise in the coupon section of the Sunday paper. I finally looked at them and I made this dish today. It was SO good! I think next time I might use 1/2 cup of red wine in place of 1/2 cup of the chicken stock. Still, it was delish! The best thing about it was that I barely had to buy anything to make it - I has nearly all the ingredients already.

Smoky Chipotle Cassoulet

1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
    1 t salt
    1 t ground cumin
    1 bay leaf
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced (I removed the seeds because I'm a bit of a wimp with the spicy stuff)
    1 med onion, diced
    1 can (15 oz) navy beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup orange juice (the recipe calls for fresh squeezed, but I thought to heck with that!)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients, except cilantro, in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 or 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours
    2. Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Trista, rgw718, and Critical: Those all sound healthy and delicious!
    I especially like the taco seasoning mix recipe -- the store-bought stuff always has way, way too much sodium.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3650196;
    I made this soup tonight-I even got my brother, who hates anything vegetarian, to give this a try, and he actually liked it! The soup itself is vegetarian, however you will need to use a different thing in place of the milk if you are vegan.

Olive oil (1)
    3 carrots, sliced fairly thin (2)
    1.5 cups onions (about two full slices from a regular-sized Walla Walla sweet) (3)
    Two large potatoes, cut into fairly small wedges (1"x1" works) (4)
    5 cloves garlic (5)
    Two cans vegetable broth (6), or 32 ounces-if you don't have exactly 32, make up the difference with water.
    2.5 cups skim milk (7) (You can do any other percentage, but I prefer cooking with skim)
    1 cup flour (8) (You can do less, but I like a nice, thick soup)
    Garlic powder (9)
    Tarragon (10)
    Salt (11)
    Grated Tillamook cheddar cheese, to taste (12) (It can be any brand but I only use Tillamook-gotta support the Oregon dairy farmers!)

In a soup pot or large pot, heat ingredient 1 until the bottom of the pan is coated (two tablespoons is good, but I just eyeball it because olive oil is good for you), and add in ingredients 2 and 3 and saute for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add in ingredients 4-6 and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender (if the skin is falling off, that's a good thing). Whisk the milk and flour together, and after the potatoes are tender, stir it in. Stir frequently, add in ingredients 9-11 to taste, and bring the heat up to medium-high, let boil for 3 minutes before turning heat to low. When you don't see as much separation of the milk, oil, and broth (when it looks white, not layered), add in cheddar cheese to taste. Serve hot with cheddar cheese on top. This will make at least 3-4 servings, and the beauty of it is that it's a one-dish recipe, without dirtying up too much else.
    Trista,
    I thought vegans will not eat cheese unless it's the special simulated vegan cheese?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread