+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 93 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3539678;
    doxie the recipe makes alot of spread.

Cucumber Sandwiches

2 large loaves thinly sliced white bread, trimmed
    2 large package cream cheese
    3 large cucumbers, grated and drained (leave some peel on)
    2 tsp. grated onion (juice included)
    salt and pepper to taste
    5 Tbsp. mayonnaise (not level)

Trim bread. Let cheese soften to room temperature. Mix cheese until very soft and creamy. Add grated cucumber which has been drained. Be sure to leave some green peeling for color. Add onion, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Mix well. It is best to make the day before needed so it will chill and congeal. Spread on bread and cut in desired shapes.
    Thank you! I made this over the weekend and it was really good! I cut the recipe in half and it was more than enough for several sandwiches.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Does anyone have a good and easy recipe for sweet lemonade? (and do you use strawberries or raspberries?)
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't use a recipe for lemonade, and although I use some sugar in lemonade, I use a minimum since I prefer tart to sweet (I can't stand sweet tea, either). Lemonade, I think, does better without an exact recipe since the sweetness of the fruit varies according to grower, region, and season. So here are my tips:
    • The basic elements for lemonade are lemon juice, simple syrup (1 part sugar to 1 part water, boiled and cooled), and additional water/other juice to dilute.
    • It's preferable to use simple syrup to just dumping in a bunch of sugar is that the sugar is then evenly distributed through the lemonade and doesn't just fall to the bottom of the pitcher. It's an easy step that makes a huge difference.
    • If you like it sweet, the standard ratio is 1 cup lemon juice : 1 cup simple syrup : 3 or 4 cups water to dilute (adjust to taste -- for me, one cup of simple syrup is too sweet, so I start with a half cup and adjust, depending on the sweetness of the fruit; if I'm adding raspberries or strawberries, I start with a quarter cup)
    • For a sweet lemonade without so much sugar, use Meyer lemons, which are naturally sweet. They're in season now and easy to find.
    • To make it pink and add some more sweetness (and cut down further on the sugar), purée fresh strawberries or raspberries (both are good; I prefer raspberries) to add to the mixture. I'd start with a ratio of 1/4 cup berry purée to 1 cup lemon juice, and then adjust to your preference.
    • Combine the juices and simple syrup first, then add water until you get the taste you want. You can always add more of the main ingredients to adjust. If you'll be serving with ice on a hot day, make it a little stronger to allow for dilution.
    • Lime juice with raspberry is a good combination. A little splash of rum doesn't hurt, either!
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-07-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

sounds yummy Ellen. We like to make our own limeade here during the summer and add cherries etc to it.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

For RGW.....Mexican chicken casserole:

1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
    1 3/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup evaporated skim milk
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 cup (2 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
    1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
    12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed (about 6 chips)

Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 can of chiles and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Thanks Ellen! That sounds absolutely delicious!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3548367;
    Thank you! I made this over the weekend and it was really good! I cut the recipe in half and it was more than enough for several sandwiches.
    Glad you liked it

Bunny555 that recipe sounds good I think I'll give it a try

Blueberry Muffins

1/2 c old fashioned oats
    1/2 c orange juice
    1 1/2 c plain flour
    1/2 c sugar
    1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    2 eggs well beaten
    1/2 c oil (or 1/2 c applesauce)
    1 c blueberries

topping:

2 T sugar
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon

In a small bowl, stir together oats and orange juice, let sit.
    In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
    Add beaten egg and oil to oats and orange juice mixture, and stir. Then add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Lightly stir in blueberries.
    Spoon into greased muffin cups.
    For topping,mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of batter.
    Bake for 18 minutes, or until lightly brown, in a 400 degree oven.
    Makes 9-12 muffins.

Thank you for sharing the Mexican Chicken recipe, Bunny! I plan to make it soon. It sounds delicious.

MRD

It's summer and time for gazpacho. Here is the best one I"ve ever eaten. It's from the world famous Columbia resturant in Ybor City, Florida.

Gazpacho Andaluz
    ---------------------
    2 cups water
    1 med onion finely chopped
    3 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded & chopped
    1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
    4 Tbs white vinegar
    2 tsp salt
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    4 slices bread, cut in pieces (I use about 2 cups of french bread with crust)
    4 Tbs olive oil

Garnish:
    1 cucumber, diced
    1 green pepper, diced
    1 med onion, finely chopped
    1 tomato, finely chopped
    1 cup croutons

Combine first nine ingredients and let stand for 1 hour. Puree in a
    blender and chill in refrigerator. Garnish and serve chilled in soup
    bowls. Serves 4

Note: I don't puree mine completely, I like a few chunks. And I like mine better at room temp, not too cold.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread