+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 92 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3542890;
    I have a question. Actually a couple.
    I would love to make this, but don't want the added sugar. Can something be substituted for the brown sugar, honey and maple syrup?

And can I get rolled oats in the grocery store? Are they the same as what you use in oatmeal cookies?

I'm thinking I used instant oatmeal. We eat it cold w/ milk and don't bother to cook it. lol

As far as the sweetner are you thinking of going sugar free? It might work if you add it after baking the granola. The baking is an important part IMO as it "toasts" the ingredients.

I really liked the flavor of the cinnamon and maple syrup.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You eat cold instant oatmeal with milk and don't cook it. Very interesting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

lol I didn't even think about it being "uncooked" until now. I suppose if you count the baking process that would cook it.

MRD

Queenb, I was going to say that obviously I only eat instant oatmeal (I cook mine in the microwave) unless I bake oatmeal cookies which isn't often.
    I never like oatmeal when I was a kid until they came out with the instant in flavors. However, I buy oatmeal bread all the time. I like that a lot.

So does the sugar, honey and maple syrup make it stick together? I am really looking to cut down the sugars in it, so that's my only concern. Maybe I will do a test batch with brown sugar Splenda and sugar free maple syrup (which is actually fake maple syrup) and see what happens.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Best Blueberry Muffins EVER

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 egg
    1/3 cup milk
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup butter, cubed
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups (top of pan included) or line with muffin liners.
    Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. (batter is very thick)

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
    Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

Hint: Double the recipe or else you will only get about 8 muffins. These muffins rise and spread all over the top of the pan so make sure you spray the top of the pan.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3543843;
    Best Blueberry Muffins EVER

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 egg
    1/3 cup milk
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup butter, cubed
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups (top of pan included) or line with muffin liners.
    Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. (batter is very thick)

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
    Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

Hint: Double the recipe or else you will only get about 8 muffins. These muffins rise and spread all over the top of the pan so make sure you spray the top of the pan.
    This is very similar to the one I used except the instructions were a LOT more complicated. I had to also toss the blueberries with flour, so they wouldn't sink to the bottom of the muffin cups.
    But almost exact same ingredients.
    Thanks.

Ah I get what you are asking MRD. Yes the sugars/oil make some of it clump together...

MRD

Thanks LIvin. I may try it both ways and see how it goes.

But shay, I had fresh blueberries that were just asking to go in muffins.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3543496;
    So does the sugar, honey and maple syrup make it stick together? I am really looking to cut down the sugars in it, so that's my only concern. Maybe I will do a test batch with brown sugar Splenda and sugar free maple syrup (which is actually fake maple syrup) and see what happens.
    Agave nectar is pretty sticky, but it has a low glycemic index -- so theoretically it should do the trick without triggering a sugar/insulin reaction (dumping syndrome) nor hypoglycemia. And it tastes like honey.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I use Splenda brown sugar blend in a lot of recipes. And I only buy sugar free syrup. It's not as good as the regular maple sugar, but it doesn't cause dumping syndrome in me and I'll do whatever it takes to avoid that!!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread