+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Just Recipes

I am a huge fan of the Fix-It-And-Forget-It crockpot cookbook. One of the FoRTers recommended it, and it was a great buy! I've even found it at my local public library.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thanks for the tips! Rosie the pork chops look really good...and they fit into one of my favorite categories...easy I'll certainly be giving them a try. The stew last night turned out really yummy, I will definitely be making it again and playing around with different ways to tweak it. But I have to confess, I'm on my fourth bottled water so far this morning...it's probably best in small doses if you're sensitive to sodium
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3200927;
    Thanks for the tips! Rosie the pork chops look really good...and they fit into one of my favorite categories...easy I'll certainly be giving them a try. The stew last night turned out really yummy, I will definitely be making it again and playing around with different ways to tweak it. But I have to confess, I'm on my fourth bottled water so far this morning...it's probably best in small doses if you're sensitive to sodium
    Katydid I also have a great southwestern stew that is easy, easy, easy.

Here it is again (I think I've posted it several times, but its a family favorite and you won't believe how easy it is)

Sante Fe or Southwestern Stew. (very easy)

1 pound boneless pork chops cubed or 1 pound chicken breasts cubed (all raw)
    1 package taco seasoning
    1 small onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 can of beef broth
    1 can of corn kernals
    1 can of pinto beans
    1 can of diced tomatos with chilis
    1 can of diced tomatos

Don't drain any of the cans, just pour it all in a crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and we always add cornbread as a side. I've also served this over rice. And my husband likes to have tortillas with it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

I resurrected this from the old recipe thread because it's so good and I want to share with anyone who wasn't around while the old thread was still active.

Marleybone's Apple Crisp

6 medium tart apples, sliced (I like Jonathans but Granny Smith works well too)
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup oats
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/3 cup softened butter

Place fruit in 8 x 8 square pan. Mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle over fruit.
    Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

For you domestic goddesses who still enjoy canning, this is an easy, yummy way to have apple pie all year long.

Apple Pie in a Jar

4 1/2 cups sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    (or use 2 1/4 tsp Apple Pie spice)
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup cornstarch (I like Arrowroot starch from Penzey's better)
    10 cups water
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    Lots of apples

Prep quart jars, lids and rings as you normally would for canning.

Cook sugar, spices, salt, cornstarch and water until thick and bubbly. Add lemon juice.

Peel and slice apples.

Pack hot jars tightly with apples and cover with syrup, leaving 1/2 headspace. Apply lids and rings, process 20 minutes in water bath.

FORT Fan

I haven't seen any fish recipes here, so I'll share mine. My kids love it.

Filets of any inexpensive white fish (i.e., pollock)
    2 beaten eggs
    Yellow Mustard
    Mashed Potato Flakes

Spread the filet with yellow mustard, dip into beaten egg, then into mashed potato flakes.

Sautee until golden brown.

Believe me, it's really really good. We serve with a big salad (the kids get vegetables & dip).

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Another good thing in a crockpot is a ham. I did that one thanksgiving when my partner's family told me that half of them don't eat turkey - having only one oven, I had to improvise. I just out the ham in the crockpot about 2 or 3 hours before dinner, tossed in some brown sugar and poured a little orange juice over it - it came out really well, not dried out at all and saved my oven space for the turkey! Best thing is, you can set it on and forget about it until it is time to serve it.

This only works with cooked ham, not a raw one.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3201510;
    Another good thing in a crockpot is a ham. I did that one thanksgiving when my partner's family told me that half of them don't eat turkey - having only one oven, I had to improvise. I just out the ham in the crockpot about 2 or 3 hours before dinner, tossed in some brown sugar and poured a little orange juice over it - it came out really well, not dried out at all and saved my oven space for the turkey! Best thing is, you can set it on and forget about it until it is time to serve it.

This only works with cooked ham, not a raw one.
    I do something similar and it is one of my daughter's all time favorite meals.

Heat one can pineapple chunks with juice, one cup of brown sugar, and a pinch of cloves until boiling. Pour over cooked ham in crockpot. Cook on low for about 4 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3201463;
    For you domestic goddesses who still enjoy canning, this is an easy, yummy way to have apple pie all year long.

Apple Pie in a Jar

4 1/2 cups sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    (or use 2 1/4 tsp Apple Pie spice)
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup cornstarch (I like Arrowroot starch from Penzey's better)
    10 cups water
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    Lots of apples

Prep quart jars, lids and rings as you normally would for canning.

Cook sugar, spices, salt, cornstarch and water until thick and bubbly. Add lemon juice.

Peel and slice apples.

Pack hot jars tightly with apples and cover with syrup, leaving 1/2 headspace. Apply lids and rings, process 20 minutes in water bath.
    Marley, I used to can tomatoes, peaches, etc..., but now just freeze them. Do you think it could this Apple Pie could be frozen instead? And how many is "Lots of apples"?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

The Apple Pie In a Jar reminds me of a gift idea that my mom does around xmastime for friends and neighbors, etc. I thought maybe some of you bakers would like this idea, or maybe you've seen it before.

She gets a nice mason jar, and fills it will all the ingredients to make something - cookies and other baked goods, I think, is usually what it is. She makes a cute jar lid by wrapping or gluing fabric and ribbon onto the lid, and then makes cute mini card that attaches to the lid by ribbon, and it tells you how to do the rest to make the cookies (add 2 eggs, bake at 350, etc). So all the person has to do is dump the jar of stuff into a bowl, add a couple things, stir together and bake. It's an inexpensive gift and looks really cute, and is an easy way for someone to make something from scratch - everything is in the jar and already measured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3201463;

Marleybone's Apple Crisp

6 medium tart apples, sliced (I like Jonathans but Granny Smith works well too)
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup oats
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/3 cup softened butter

Place fruit in 8 x 8 square pan. Mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle over fruit.
    Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
    Perfect timing! I was given some apples and since I'm not a regular baker, was wondering what to do with them.

Does it matter if it's quick oats or do you have to use regular? And when it comes to brown sugar, do you use light or dark? I never know when making things which to use if it doesn't specify. Same goes for butter - does it matter if you use salted or unsalted (for any recipe in general). Any rules of thumb to remember?

For the novice baker, things can get really confusing when a recipe isn't specific (not yours, just any that I've come across in cookbooks ).
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Premium Member

veejer - My recipe just says "Apples". I made this back when we used to go to the orchard when the kids were little and picked huge bags full of apples. I just kept peeling/slicing until I ran out of the syrup. Sorry I'm not more help than that. I see no reason why you couldn't freeze it though.

ArchieComic Fan - It doesn't matter which kind of oats you use, I've made it with both. I don't think it matters with brown sugar either. I prefer dark, so I use that in everything.

I don't differentiate between salted or unsalted butter either, I just use whatever I have on hand and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm sure there are instances where it's important to use one or the other, maybe someone else had more experience with that.

+ Reply to Thread