+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I made Pasta ala Norma tonight...I had a recipe I was going to use from my Cooks Magazine but I decided not to use their recommendation of cooking the eggplant in the microwave. I have a problem with nuking something for 10 minutes!
    Anyway, here is my version

Pasta ala Norma
    Olive Oil
    1 28 oz canned whole Roma tomatoes
    3-4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
    2 medium sized eggplant or 4-5 Japanese eggplant
    3 anchovy filets, chopped
    chopped basil
    1 cup grated Ricota Salata or Pecorino Romano cheese
    olive oil
    kosher salt
    cracked black pepper
    Penne pasta

Boil pasta and drain pasta.
    Cut and chop eggplant into cubes. Heat about 4 Tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add eggplant and saute for about 10 minutes or until tender, you may have to add more olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste
    Transfer eggplant to plate.
    Heat another two tablespoons of olive oil and add chopped garlic and chopped anchovy fillets along with oil from can. Cook about 1 minute. Add roma tomatoes (crush with your hand before adding to pan). Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add eggplant and chopped basil. Serve over penne pasta and top with grated cheese.

For a variation, add capers or kalamata olives or both!

So I've got a question for you luvsginger..as someone who hates anchovy on pizza would I feel the same way about it in this dish? Does it taste just as strong as it does on pizza?

also another question: Have you ever heard of someone buying fresh ginger at the grocery and sticking it in the ground and it growing? I heard someone once talk about doing that...

I made a pasta dish the other night, super simple and the sauce is not tomato or dairy based.

1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    2 green bell peppers, chopped
    8 ounces farfalle pasta
    1 cup beef broth
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    While pasta is cooking, cook sausage and peppers in large skillet over medium heat until sausage is brown and juices run clear. Drain sausage mixture and return it to the pan. Pour in the broth, season with black pepper and bring to a boil.
    Toss pasta with sausage sauce and serve.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Anchovies in things are much better than anchovies ON pizza. I believe that worchestershire sauce has anchovy in it. I may be wrong, but it's something that is widely used like that.
    I found anchovy paste in a tube in the grocery store and used it in a recipe for something (I no longer remember what). But I did NOT tell my family and they did not notice and they ate it and liked it.

I think anchovies are one of those things that you wouldn't eat by itself, like you wouldn't eat an onion by itself, but chopped up and added to stuff, it's not bad.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3512345;
    So I've got a question for you luvsginger..as someone who hates anchovy on pizza would I feel the same way about it in this dish? Does it taste just as strong as it does on pizza?
    also another question: Have you ever heard of someone buying fresh ginger at the grocery and sticking it in the ground and it growing? I heard someone once talk about doing that...
    I personally didn't even taste the anchovies so if you really feel strongly about them, just omit them. I actually love anchovies and eat them straight, I especially like them on Caesar Salad.

Regarding the ginger, yes...you can stick it in the ground and grow it but here is a link to help you.
    How to Grow Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3513045;
    I personally didn't even taste the anchovies so if you really feel strongly about them, just omit them. I actually love anchovies and eat them straight, I especially like them on Caesar Salad.

Regarding the ginger, yes...you can stick it in the ground and grow it but here is a link to help you.
    How to Grow Ginger

Thank you luvsginger. I'll check it out. I'll have to consider the anchovy..I know DH will always eat whatever it left over from the can if I don't use them all..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I made a nice couscous tonight to go with our grilled skirt steak. It was a nice change from potatoes, rice and pasta.

Couscous with Mushrooms and Sweet Cherry Tomatoes

1 cup couscous
    1/2 onion finely chopped
    1 package sliced cremini mushrooms
    1/2 cup or more cherry tomatoes, washed with stems removed
    salt and pepper to taste
    olive oil

Prepare couscous as directed, set aside. In a large frying pan saute chopped onion and mushrooms until mushrooms are browned about 6 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes and stir for about one minute. Add couscous and blend well. Makes about 8 servings.

Of course you can add any other vegetables or seasonings you prefer but I made this recipe to use up ingredients that I had leftover in my refrigerator.

That does sound yummy. I love Heath bar bits! It's one of my faves. I have to make a cake for a party next month and I'm going to make this. I know the kids will love it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3510928;
    RomanticHeart, Here is the recipe for the Better Than Sex Cake.

1 German Chocolate cake mix.
    1 container of cool whip (I use vanilla flavored but you can do regular if you like)
    1 bag of Heath bar bits (the crushed kind)
    1 jar of ice cream carmel

Make the German chocolate cake as said on the package. When it is finished and cooled poke holes all over the cake (seriously, make it look like your kid got ahold of it and had some fun! ) then pour the carmel over the whole thing and let it soak into the holes. Sprinkle half the bag of the Heath bars evenly over it and then top with a layer of whipped cream and then the rest of the Heath bars.

It is very sweet but WELL worth it. The name says it all

I hope they like it! It has always been a big hit when I make it for a pot luck at work, it's my personal fav.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

This is going to sound silly, but I have to make a huge salad for a graduation party. I'm thinking lettuce, spinach, red, yellow, and orange peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes... what else? Not everyone likes onions or black olives. Is what I mentioned above enough? Grated carrots? I feel like I'm forgetting something obvious.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3514454;
    This is going to sound silly, but I have to make a huge salad for a graduation party. I'm thinking lettuce, spinach, red, yellow, and orange peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes... what else? Not everyone likes onions or black olives. Is what I mentioned above enough? Grated carrots? I feel like I'm forgetting something obvious.
    Not everyone likes onions or black olives but you can't please everyone. For example, no one in my family will touch a bell pepper of any type. I would make it the way you want and put in the salad things that you like! That way it is your salad. Cheese is always a good topper like goat or feta, so are nuts like toasted pine nuts or almonds, dried cranberries, avocado and anything else you may like.

It sounds delicious! Have fun at the graduation!

+ Reply to Thread