+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Just Recipes

Sounds fab!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3501063;
    Does anyone have a good recipe for pea soup? I am in the process of baking a big ham right now and I wanted to use some of it in a soup. It is a bone in so I was planning on making a soup involving the left over bone too. I have a few potatoe recipes but no pea ones.
    If I have a good hambone, I usually soak some white beans overnight, then put them, the hambone and some cut up ham, a big chopped onion in the crockpot all day with enough water to cover it all. Add a little black pepper and you don't really need anything else.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3501070;
    You know the recipe on the back of the split pea bag is pretty good and it usually comes with a flavor packet, if not just use chicken bouillon.
    Co-sign with luvsginger. I use chicken stock also.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3502006;
    If I have a good hambone, I usually soak some white beans overnight, then put them, the hambone and some cut up ham, a big chopped onion in the crockpot all day with enough water to cover it all. Add a little black pepper and you don't really need anything else.
    That's the way I do it too and I discoverd that Honey Baked ham sells their bones and there's a LOT of meat left on those things. I will remove a lot of the meat for sandwiches and other stuff, but then use the bone for pea or bean soup and it's fab.

I get a lot of good honeybaked ham off those bones for $7.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I get the "ham bones" from honey baked too...they are $6 here I've got one left--maybe I should make some soup...soon!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I was a little worried that the Cajun Shepherd's Pie that I referred to earlier in the meatloaf discussion might have copyright issues, but I found a copy of it online! Big bonus for me because now I don't have to type it up!!
    I have added my own comments in the ingredient section. I know it is a long recipe, especially since it is essentially meatloaf, but it is SO delicious!!!

Warning: Using the full amount of white/black pepper, cayenne, and Tabasco makes for a VERY spicy dish!!

CAJUN SHEPHERD'S PIE
    PAUL PRUDHOMME
    Yield: 1 Servings

1 1/2 lb Ground beef
    1/2 lb Ground pork (It is also great if you just use more ground beef here)
    2 Eggs lightly beaten
    1/2 c Very fine dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 lb +3 tbl Butter (in all)
    3/4 c Finely chopped onion
    3/4 c Finely chopped celery
    1/2 c Finely chopped green pepper (I have been substituting roasted & peeled Anaheim or Poblano peppers)
    1 tbl + 1 tsp Minced garlic
    1 tbl Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
    ----------
    MEAT SEASONING MIX
    2 tsp Ground cayenne pepper (I use milder ground chili peppers to reduce the heat)
    1 1/2 tsp each Salt and Black pepper
    1 1/4 tsp Ground white pepper (I omit this)
    3/4 tsp each Ground cumin & dried thyme
    ----------
    3/4 c Evaporated milk (in all)
    2 lb White potatoes peeled & quartered (I prefer lots more potatoes, at least 4 lbs)
    1 tsp each Salt & white pepper (I just black pepper)
    1 1/2 c Julienned carrots
    1 c Julienned onions
    ----------
    VEGETABLE SEASONING MIX:
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/4 tsp each White pepper, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Cayenne pepper (again I use black pepper and milder ground chili peppers to reduce the heat)
    ----------
    1 1/2 c Julienned zucchini (only the outer layer, so one side has the skin of the zucchini)
    1 c Julienned yellow squash (only the outer layer, so one side has the skin of the squash)

In a 13x9" ungreased baking pan combine the beef & pork. Mix in the eggs and breadcrumbs by hand until mixed thoroughly, reserve. In a 1 qt saucepan combine 3 tb butter with the onions, celery, green pepper, worcestershire ,tabasco and meat seasoning mix. Saute over high heat for 5 minutes,stirring frequently and scraping the bottom well. Remove from heat and let cool. Add veggie mixture and 1/4 c evaporated milk to the meat mixture and mix well by hand. Form into a 12X8 loaf and center in the baking pan. Bake in a 450 oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and pour off drippings, reserving 2 1/2 tbl drippings. Set meat and drippings aside.

Boil the potatoes until fork tender, drain reserving 1 c potato water. Place the potatoes while hot in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining butter, 1/2 c milk salt & white pepper. Stir with wooden spoon until broken up then beat with a whisk or hand held mixer. If potatoes are not creamy enough beat in some of the reserved water.

In a large skillet combine the reserved drippings with the carrots, onions and vegetable seasoning mix. Saute over high heat for 1 1/2
    minutes stirring frequently. Add zucchini and yellow squash and continue saute until noticeably bright in color, about 3-4 minutes
    stirring once in a while. Remove from heat. Mound the cooked vegetables on top of the meat loaf, keeping away from edges. Layer the
    mashed potatoes evenly over top of of the vegetable layer and top edges of meat, using all of the potatoes.

Bake at 525 until brown on top about 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Original source (minus my comments):
    Cajun Shepherd's Pie Paul Prudhomme Recipe #151446 @ Mass Recipes
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 06-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Our cucumbers and tomatoes are plentiful from our garden. I have been chopping up the cucumbers, tomatoes and adding kalamata olives, a little chopped cheese and tossing with balsamic & basil vinaigrette dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3509157;
    Our cucumbers and tomatoes are plentiful from our garden. I have been chopping up the cucumbers, tomatoes and adding kalamata olives, a little chopped cheese and tossing with balsamic & basil vinaigrette dressing.
    That sounds delicious. I'm hungry.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Premium Member

I wanted to treat the folks at physical therapy who have been working with me for the last 3 months, so I baked cupcakes last night. I got the recipes from a book called Cake Mix Magic. They looked so pretty when I was done I took pictures.

CAPPUCCINO CUPCAKES

1 pkg dark chocolate cake mix (I used Devil's Food)
    1 1/3 cups strong brewed or instant coffee, at room temperature
    1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted butter (I used oil)
    3 eggs

Heat oven to 350 F. Line 24 regular size muffin pan cups with paper baking cups. (I used an ice cream scoop to fill them, so I only got 18 cupcakes from this, but they were a nice size)

Beat cake mix, coffee, eggs and oil with electric mixer at low speed for 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

FROSTING

(the recipe said to use canned frosting, but I made my own using the No-Cook Fudge Frosting recipe from Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book.

4 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/3 cup boiling water (I used coffee)
    1 tsp vanilla
    Chocolate covered coffee beans (optional)

Combine powdered sugar and cocoa. Add butter, boiling water, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Cool for 20-30 minutes or until mixture reaches spreading consistency. (this really only took about 5 minutes) Makes enough to frost tops and sides of two 9 inch cake layers.

Top each cupcake with chocolate covered coffee bean if desired.

Last edited by Marleybone; 06-18-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Premium Member

Cupcake #2:

CARAMEL APPLE CUPCAKES

1 pkg Butter Recipe Yellow cake mix (plus ingredients to prepare mix)
    1 cup chopped dried apples
    Caramel Frosting (recipe follows)
    chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F (I followed the cake mix instructions which said 350 F, baked them for 18 minutes, and they turned out fine) Line 24 regular size muffin cups with paper liners.

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Stir in dried apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

CARAMEL FROSTING

3 Tbsp butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    1/8 tsp salt
    3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
    3/4 tsp vanilla

Melt butter in 2 qt saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, evaporated milk and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm. Beat in powdered sugar until frosting is of spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla. Frost cupcakes, top with chopped nuts if desired. (this frosting sets up really quickly, so I stirred in a little splash of leftover evap. milk a few times to keep it of spreading consistency.)

+ Reply to Thread