+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

MRD

Re: Just Recipes

Mexican Pot Roast

2 pound beef roast (can be a tougher cut as it cooks for a while)
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes,
    1 tablespoon chile powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    3 bay leaves

Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, or other heavy pot that has a tight cover, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and the beef to the pot, browning the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside. Add the onion and allow to lightly brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, plus 1 tomato can of water, spices, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 3 hours until the meat is fork tender. For tacos, shred meat with 2 forks. Add a bit of the liquid to make the meat not dry and serve.

I serve with tortillas, salsa, guacamole, shredded cheese, etc.
    We make soft tacos out of this. But you could serve it over rice too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Pork Carnitas

Boston Butt Roast
    3 cups water
    1 small can green chilis (salsa) optional

Cut roast into larger cubes. Place into dutch oven. Pour water over (and salsa if used) cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove cover, turn up heat and let boil dry for 1hour. Watch last 1/2 of cooking time so it doesn't burn. Only stir if bottom gets too brown. We eat with flour tortillas and usual sides.

note: boston butt pork normally has fat on it. I cut off any huge bits of fat but you really want it left on in this recipe as the fat renders down and during the last half hour of cooking crisps up. Do not add any seasonings until you taste the final product as it is very rich.

Carnitas, Houston style | Homesick Texan
    Last edited by livin4reality; 06-10-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add link
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

These 2 recipes will do fine, for however long, in a crock pot, won't they?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Any one have any really good meat loaf recipes? I searched the thread (and may have missed them) but didn't seem to find any. Thanks in advance! I made my first one last week and think I need some pointers!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3493100;
    These 2 recipes will do fine, for however long, in a crock pot, won't they?

Shay-the carnitas are mostly all about technique. The high temp last half hour of cooking is important to develop the flavor and crispy texture of the meat.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Thank you. This "old lady" is still in "live and learn" mode.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3493128;
    Any one have any really good meat loaf recipes? I searched the thread (and may have missed them) but didn't seem to find any. Thanks in advance! I made my first one last week and think I need some pointers!
    Do you have any preferences for the type of meatloaf? I have a really tasty recipe for Shepherd's Pie (meatloaf topped with mashed potatoes) which is cajun and spicy. It is definitely more work than a simple meatloaf though. Let me know if it sounds like something you'd be interested in and I'll dig up the recipe for you.

MRD

Shay, mine is crockpot friendly, but I do sear the meat first before cooking it in the crockpot.

I do a simple meatloaf.

1 lb. ground beef
    1 egg
    1/2 cup seasoned italian bread crumbs
    about 1/4 cup ketchup
    couple of good squirts of Heinz 57 sauce

Then I add ketchup to the top before baking it for about 1 hour at 350.

I used to add a package of lipton onion soup mix to mine, but my daughter got to where she didn't like it that way, so I stopped.

You can also make mini meatloafs using your muffin pan. It really cuts down on the cooking time and my husband likes it because if we have bisquits, then they are perfect size to put in a biscuit and make a sandwich. I cook them about 25 min. in the muffin tin.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3493654;
    Do you have any preferences for the type of meatloaf? I have a really tasty recipe for Shepherd's Pie (meatloaf topped with mashed potatoes) which is cajun and spicy. It is definitely more work than a simple meatloaf though. Let me know if it sounds like something you'd be interested in and I'll dig up the recipe for you.
    Sure - variety is the spice of life as they say! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3493706;
    I do a simple meatloaf.

1 lb. ground beef
    1 egg
    1/2 cup seasoned italian bread crumbs
    about 1/4 cup ketchup
    couple of good squirts of Heinz 57 sauce

Then I add ketchup to the top before baking it for about 1 hour at 350.

I used to add a package of lipton onion soup mix to mine, but my daughter got to where she didn't like it that way, so I stopped.

You can also make mini meatloafs using your muffin pan. It really cuts down on the cooking time and my husband likes it because if we have bisquits, then they are perfect size to put in a biscuit and make a sandwich. I cook them about 25 min. in the muffin tin.
    Thanks!

Hmmmmm, I forgot about tuna casserole. I might have to make this again some time soon:

1 cup uncooked small shell pasta (boil in 6 cups salted water for 8-10 min)

1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped red pepper
    1/2 cup chopped zucchini
    1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
    2 tsp hard margarine or butter
    Saute onion and red pepper in margarine. Add mushrooms and zucchini. Saute until liquid is evaporated

Whisk together 2 tbsp flour and 1.5 cups of skim evaporated milk (or any milk in a pinch) and add to veggie mixture. Stir often, until boiling and thickened.

Add 2 tsp beef boullion powder, 1/2 tsp celery seed, pinch of pepper and 4 cheddar cheese slices. Stir until cheese is melted.

Mix together vegetable/cheese mixture, cooked pasta and 1 or 2 cans of tuna in a large casserole dish. Top with 1 cup of graded cheddar cheese, bake (uncovered) at 350F for about 35 minutes.

It's worth the effort!
    Don't let the small things sweat

+ Reply to Thread