+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

MRD

Re: Just Recipes

Pedestrian or not, they are a great resource for all cooks, no matter their skill level.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3484939;
    Pedestrian or not, they are a great resource for all cooks, no matter their skill level.
    Exactly. It's something easy that you can make over and over, never make it the same way twice, and it will still be good.

Okay, this is supposed to be "just recipes", so I had better shut up and post a recipe! Here are a couple breakfast casserole type recipes from one of my Morris Press church cookbooks:

Farmers Breakfast

3 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns
    3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or cheddar, your choice
    1 cup diced cooked ham or Canadian bacon
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    4-6 beaten eggs
    1 12oz can evaporated milk (1 1/2 cups)
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/8 tsp salt

Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Arrange hash browns evenly in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onion. Mix beaten eggs, milk, salt and pepper together and pour over potato mixture. (The dish may be covered and refrigerated at this point for several hours or overnight) Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes, or if it has been chilled bake for 55-60 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

Banana French Toast

8 slices Sun-Maid raisin bread
    2 med. bananas, cut in 1/4-inch slices
    1 cup milk
    4 oz cream cheese, softened
    3 eggs
    1/3 cup sugar
    3 Tbsp flour
    2 tsp vanilla
    Powdered sugar (optional)

Place 4 slices of raisin bread in a single layer in a buttered 9-inch square baking dish. Top with bananas and the other 4 slices of bread. Blend milk, cream cheese, eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour mixture over raisin bread. Let stand 5 minutes or refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes (50-55 minutes if it has been refrigerated) until set and top is toasted. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut French toast into diagonal halves and remove with spatula. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Serves 8.

Wow! That Banana French Toast sounds more like a dessert, do you really serve it for breakfast or is it a dessert?

Premium Member

It's listed with the breakfast casseroles, but it does sound more like a dessert. Probably would be good for those who like sweets for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3485842;
    Probably would be good for those who like sweets for breakfast.
    That would be me. Sounds like a good one to try out for breakfast tomorrow, after a trip to the store.

I was looking for a strawberry cake to use up the last of what I had picked the other week - this one was just delicious (from allrecipes). I pureed my berries which probably wasn't the best idea. The cake ended up purplish, but still tasted great.

Fresh Strawberry Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 1/4 cups turbinado sugar (I used regular white)
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons sour cream
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup mashed strawberries
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds (left these out)

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and the turbinado sugar. Add the eggs, and beat for 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
    In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and the baking soda until the baking soda has dissolved. Add the sour cream mixture and the flour to the egg mixture. Beat well, then stir in the mashed strawberries.
    Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
    While cake is cooling, make the icing: Cream together 2 tablespoons butter and confectioners' sugar. Add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest, and beat until smooth. Spread icing on warm (not hot!) cake, and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Does anyone have a good casserole recipe for tuna? I got a bunch of it at Sam's club with plans to use it in tuna salad but I've tuna saladed myself out and need something new.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I love tuna stuff!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That cake looks excellent Way! I have to confess that I had to google "turbinado sugar". Turns out we call it demerara sugar in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3487298;
    Does anyone have a good casserole recipe for tuna? I got a bunch of it at Sam's club with plans to use it in tuna salad but I've tuna saladed myself out and need something new.
    I don't have a tuna casserole recipe. But a summer dish we like is tuna mixed with elbow macaroni, frozen peas, diced onion, sometimes shredded cheese and some kind of binder. Either mayo or a vineger/oil dressing.

OK. Tuna casserole: 1 box kraft mac/cheese prepared according to directions. Mix in 1 can drained tuna. (that is my son's favorite)
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

For tuna casserole.

1 can tuna, drained
    3 cups cooked pasta noodles drained
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1/2 cup mayo
    1/2 cup mozzerella cheese, shredded
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    S&P to taste
    Bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, potato chip crumbs, french's fried onions, or whatever crunchy stuff you have on hand.

Mix everything together except the crumbs. Add the crumbs on top, bake at 350 for 30 min.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread