+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 92 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3473174;
    Is there a thickener in this recipe? Like cornstarch, flour or tapioca or does boiling the peaches thicken it enough? I usually don't cook my peaches for my pies but have to use a thickener.
    Thanks! sounds good!
    No, there is no thickener. I guess you could add corn starch if you liked your cobbler thicker and you could add more peaches. I have done that, if it doesn't look like there are enough peaches. Finished it is a thin, soupy cobbler. When you cook the peaches, they will still be alittle firm, ( depends on how ripe they are) and the sauce is soupy. When I brush the crust with milk, I pour the milk (2-3 T or as needed to wet crust) into a Tablespoon and pour and spread at the same time, then sprinkle with sugar. Some of the milk will run into the peaches. As the cobbler cooks, the crust will thicken up and absorb some of the juice. But, it is definitely a serve in a bowl cobbler. I have made it without the nutmeg and it is good either way. Serves 6-8.

The flour in the recipe is sufficient as a thickener, and you can still identify the fruit as fruit. Any more starch, and you might as well be using Comstock.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3474780;
    The flour in the recipe is sufficient as a thickener, and you can still identify the fruit as fruit. Any more starch, and you might as well be using Comstock.
    The flour, though, is used in the crust and not in the fruit filling. So, how would the crust thicken the filling? And is Comstock some canned fruit that you're referring to? Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3475755;
    The flour, though, is used in the crust and not in the fruit filling. So, how would the crust thicken the filling? And is Comstock some canned fruit that you're referring to? Thanks
    I've found that even though the flour is in the topping, there's enough of it that sinks down into the fruit to thicken it sufficiently -- not ultra thick, so I guess "sufficiently" depends on how thick you like the filling.

And yeah -- Comstock is that vile canned supermarket pie filling that bears a vague resemblance to fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3477323;
    I've found that even though the flour is in the topping, there's enough of it that sinks down into the fruit to thicken it sufficiently -- not ultra thick, so I guess "sufficiently" depends on how thick you like the filling.

And yeah -- Comstock is that vile canned supermarket pie filling that bears a vague resemblance to fruit.
    THanks.
    I've never used Comstock so I know what you mean - it looks kind of gross to me, too.
    I've not had my crust's flour sink into the fruit, though, so I would probably want to thicken the filling a wee bit, so it's not so syrupy.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I agree with Ellen, Comstock is too thick. If I can't get the fresh fruit, I will use frozen fruit.
    You always have to use a recipe and adapt it to what you like.

We like pie crust, so I will make a pie crust roll it thin, like for a pie. Cut it into strips, spread it with butter, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on it, place it on a jelly roll pan and bake at 400 degrees, just until brown.

My mother would do that with the leftover pie crust. Good stuff!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

The only thing I use Comstock for is when I make (the "lovely" sounding, but oh so good) Dump Cake.
    I have had some really, really syrupy cobblers since moving to SC. Peach cobbler here seems to run towards the runny.
    I don't add a thickener to mine, but I do pour off some of the juice so it doesn't get too runny; I also don't use a pie crust dough on my cobbler. I make a topping from bisquick so it's not thin like piecrust, but it's also not real thick like a biscuit either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3477840;
    . . . We like pie crust, so I will make a pie crust roll it thin, like for a pie. Cut it into strips, spread it with butter, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on it, place it on a jelly roll pan and bake at 400 degrees, just until brown.
    That sounds good -- the Point Loma TJ's still carries pie crust, so I may give that a try.

Re: cobbler -- I don't use pie crust nor Bisquik. I use a flour + brown sugar + salt + a little butter + rolled oats + some other stuff crumbly mixture (probably not very southern, but then I'm not southern), which may be why my fruit gets a bit thickened (not Comstock-thick). It's still kind of on the runny side, I guess, but I prefer my fruit to be like fruit. If that makes any sense . . .

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3478533;
    That sounds good -- the Point Loma TJ's still carries pie crust, so I may give that a try.

Re: cobbler -- I don't use pie crust nor Bisquik. I use a flour + brown sugar + salt + a little butter + rolled oats + some other stuff crumbly mixture (probably not very southern, but then I'm not southern), which may be why my fruit gets a bit thickened (not Comstock-thick). It's still kind of on the runny side, I guess, but I prefer my fruit to be like fruit. If that makes any sense . . .
    I don't like thick fruit either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread