+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 91 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

I'm going to make that salad today Livin4. My daughter the vegetarian is coming over and it sounds like something she would love. Thanks

ETA: I doubled the recipe, and EVERYONE really loved it. I like the fact that Quinoa is high in protein. I made it with cilantro, roasted the corn on the BBQ, and I will definitely be making it again this summer.
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 05-22-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3452979;
    Breakfast casserole.

Start the day ahead. This is actually a great one to use when having company as you go from fridge to oven with it, no need to slave in the kitchen all morning.

Using an 9 x 13 pan, line with slices of bread (no need to remove crusts, I use white bread, but really, any bread will do. This is also a great way to use up stale bread). Use 2 layers of bread. In a mixing bowl, mix 6-8 eggs and 1 cup of milk or 1/2 and 1/2, beat well. Season with salt and pepper about a tsp of dry mustard, tbsp. of worchesterchire sauce, also a few shakes of Crystals hot sauce.Pour over bread.Saute 1 pound of bulk sausage (mild or hot, depending on your taste), drain well and sprinkle sausage over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 30-40 min. or until eggs are set. Cover top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake until melted. Can also be made with diced ham instead of sausage. Sorry, they aren't exact measurements. I think I had them at one time, but I've made this so long that I don't have them anymore
    THanks. I have a real similar one. It uses a few less eggs, a bit more milk, a bit more sausage and cream of mushroom soup which is added in the morning before it's cooked. Mine's real popular, too. I think anytime you put sausage, eggs, cheese, etc. together, you have a winner.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Here is the gluten-free Gnocci recipe I mentioned in the food thread earlier. I usually eat it with pesto or regular speghetti sauce.

Ingredients:

2 lbs - 2 oz. whole baking potatoes
    1 beaten egg
    2-1/4 cups gluten-free flour (found in the health food section of most grocery stores)
    pinch of salt

Instructions:

1. Boil the potatoes whole with the skin in salted water until cooked.
    2. Once cooked drain the potatoes and then peel them being careful not to burn yourself.
    3. Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer and into a bowl.
    4. Add the flour, egg and a good pinch of salt.
    5. Mix until you have a nice pliable ball of dough.
    6. Prepare a work area and dust it with flour.
    7. Take the dough, a piece at a time, and roll it out with your hands until you have rolls about 3/4 inch in diameter.
    8. Cut the tubes of dough into pieces about one inch long.
    9. With a fork, holding the tines against the work surface, use your finger to press a piece of dough gently against the fork and roll it slightly then letting it fall to the table.
    10. The result should be gnocchi with an indent on one side from your finger and a pattern on the other side from the fork.
    11. Handle the gnocchi carefully so they donít loose their shape. Place them on a lightly flour plates. Keep them apart so they donít touch one another or theyíll stick together.
    12. Bring a big pot of water to a boil and then add the gnocchi carefully a plate or two at a time. When they float to the surface they are ready just remove them with a slotted spoon and set them in a strainer to drain off the excess water.
    13. Add more gnocchi to the water and serve the others right away.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3410079;
    Here's a cheap and easy one I did last night.

Roasted Red Potatoes

1 small bag baby reds (figure about 12-15 potatoes)-at Trader Joes a bag is under $2.
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic powder
    Herbes de Provence
    Dried rosemary

Preheat the oven to 425, and cover a cookie sheet with a layer of foil and spray it with a little cooking spray. Rinse the potatoes and cut them in quarters, and place them in a large bowl. Drizzle with about 2 tablespoons (I never count) of olive oil, and then add in the spices. Use a spoon to evenly coat all the potatoes, and then arrange on the cookie sheet in a single layer, drizzling some more salt, pepper, and garlic (or garlic powder) over them. Cook for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
    Trista,

Thanks for the recipe. I had no rosemary or the french herbs, so I added some onion. They were just divine.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

That's a great recipe and I make variations of it all the time. If I'm in a real hurry, a little olive oil and a package of french onion soup mix is good (not as healthy, but my kids like it). My favourite is to cut onions, garlic cloves, and sometimes red peppers in with the potatoes. I add all kinds of herbs and sometimes sprinkle with fresh parmesan and stick them under the broiler at the end.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    7 tablespoons Cocoa, divided
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 1/4 cups hot water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl, stir together 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. Blend in milk, butter and vanilla; beat until smooth. Pour batter into 8 or 9 inch square (glass) baking pan.
    In separate bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Pour hot water over top; do not stir. Bake 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set. Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into desert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top. Serve with ice cream/whipped topping.

Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler

4 cups sliced fresh Peaches
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 butter
    dash of nutmeg
    1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup Crisco
    1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. ice water

Preheat oven to 320 degrees. Combine peaches, sugar and butter in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil over low heat until peaches are tender, about 12 minutes. Pour into a lightly buttered 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
    For crust: Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Add ice water. On lightly floured board, roll flat and cut into 2 inch strips and place over peaches.
    Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
    Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until brown.

I think every decent cook in the world must have some version of the breakfast Casserole, and they are all different, and all good! Ditto for peach cobbler!
    We are still a long way from peach season--I'm ready for a cobbler too.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Carolina Crush

1 lb. peaches peeled and sliced
    1/3. cup brown sugar
    1/4- 1/2 cup Contreau
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. allspice

2 bottles of Chardonnay
    1 liter of club soda or gingerale

Mix together brown sugar, contreau, cinnamon, vanilla and allspice and pour over peaches. Let soak for 2-3 hours. Pour mixture into blender and puree.

Add the 2 bottles of Chardonnay and the liter of club soda to the peach puree and serve in a beautiful pitcher. Can add mint springs to the glasses.

This is like a great peach sangria.
    I served it over crushed ice and it was fabulous.

For the cobbler, use the first 6 ingredients, let soak all day, pour out some of the liquid (it gets really liquidy), put in a baking dish, cover with your favorite crust and bake at 350 until crust is brown and filling is bubbling.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3472262;
    [B]

Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler

4 cups sliced fresh Peaches
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 butter
    dash of nutmeg
    1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup Crisco
    1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. ice water

Preheat oven to 320 degrees. Combine peaches, sugar and butter in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil over low heat until peaches are tender, about 12 minutes. Pour into a lightly buttered 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
    For crust: Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Add ice water. On lightly floured board, roll flat and cut into 2 inch strips and place over peaches.
    Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
    Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until brown.
    Is there a thickener in this recipe? Like cornstarch, flour or tapioca or does boiling the peaches thicken it enough? I usually don't cook my peaches for my pies but have to use a thickener.
    Thanks! sounds good!

MRD

I've never used a thickener in my cobblers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread