+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 92 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Premium Member

Re: Just Recipes

A fingerling potato is a small, finger-shaped type of potato which may be one of any number of heritage potato cultivars. Similar to heirloom tomatoes in the fashion they are cultivated and treated in cooking, fingerlings are varieties that naturally grow small and narrow. Fingerlings are fully mature when harvested, and are not to be confused with new potatoes. Popular fingerling potatoes include the yellow-skinned Russian Banana, the orange-skinned French, and the Purple Peruvian. Due to their size and greater expense compared to other potatoes, fingerlings are commonly either halved and roasted as a side dish or used in salads.
    Fingerling potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bags I got at Costco had several varieties, including the purple ones.

thank you, I will have to look for those.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3410079;
    Here's a cheap and easy one I did last night.

Roasted Red Potatoes

1 small bag baby reds (figure about 12-15 potatoes)-at Trader Joes a bag is under $2.
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic powder
    Herbes de Provence
    Dried rosemary

Preheat the oven to 425, and cover a cookie sheet with a layer of foil and spray it with a little cooking spray. Rinse the potatoes and cut them in quarters, and place them in a large bowl. Drizzle with about 2 tablespoons (I never count) of olive oil, and then add in the spices. Use a spoon to evenly coat all the potatoes, and then arrange on the cookie sheet in a single layer, drizzling some more salt, pepper, and garlic (or garlic powder) over them. Cook for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
    I do these a lot, but I thin cut them and do them in a fry pan on top of the stove. I use a non stick so I don't need that much oil. I don't use much salt, but I always use pepper, garlic (if you can find garlic crystals, they are great!) and with herbes de Provence or bouquet garni.

I've used red and yukon golds for this - but I am going to look for the fingerling tators, those sound yummy.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Pasta Salad dressing for MRD:

1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Here is a really good pasta salad recipe that I've made a couple times and always get rave reviews. It's from the Barefoot Contessa. It's kind of a different type of pasta salad, but tastes great if you have really fresh tomatoes to put in it.
    Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Ingredients
    * 1/2 pound fusilli (spirals) pasta (I've used whole wheat pasta and it still tastes good)
    * Kosher salt
    * Olive oil
    * 1 pound ripe tomatoes, medium-diced
    * 3/4 cup good black olives, such as kalamata, pitted and diced
    * 1 pound fresh mozzarella, medium-diced
    * 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped

For the dressing:
    * 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
    * 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    * 6 tablespoons good olive oil
    * 1 garlic clove, diced
    * 1 teaspoon capers, drained
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    * 1 cup packed basil leaves, julienned

Directions

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water with a splash of oil to keep it from sticking together. Boil for 12 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain well and allow to cool. Place the pasta in a bowl and add the tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.

For the dressing, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt, and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth.

Pour the dressing over the pasta, sprinkle with the Parmesan and basil, and toss well.

Buttermilk Salad Dressing

3/4 cup 1 % buttermilk
    2 cups (16 ounces) 2 % cottage cheese
    1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix

In a blender or food processor, combine the buttermilk, cottage cheese and salad dressing mix; cover and process for 20 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Stir before serving.

One serving is 2 tablespoons of dressing and that has 23 calories and 1 gram of fat.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Wow Lilbit! that sounds like a fantastic idea. How long do you think something like this would last though?
    Also, I've always wondered where one buys actual "buttermilk"? I always just make it with milk and vinegar or lemon juice
    but I am under the impression that this is just a poor man's substitute for when out of the product buttermilk?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

MRD

You can buy a quart of buttermilk with the regular milk products. I don't think they sell it in smaller sizes, but I do freeze it and it's fine when it thaws out. None of the recipes that I have that call for buttermilk ever use a whole quart, so freezing it means I have some for the next time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Ranch dressing and dip doesn't last very long at my house so I've never had a problem, but you could always try making a half a recipe.

I always buy quarts of buttermilk but I do a lot of baking and tend to use it up pretty quickly. I have occasionally seen it in pints but not very often.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread