+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 92 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Just Recipes

heya Luvs!

Is there an onion that can be substituted for a Maui onion? Are they sweet onions?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3405501;
    That sounds good, mrd. How do you think it would be if I leave out the mayo?
    don't know. Maybe substitute sour cream???

ok, I had someone tell me that they saute the onions and corn in bacon grease and it makes it better and they then crumble the bacon into the dip. That sounds even better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Sour cream might work. I just cannot stomach mayo.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Ugh I hate mayo as well, in fact thinking of it nearly makes me vomit-so I avoid dishes that have it like the plague.

Anywhoo here is the pasta recipe that I made for my family tonight. I found the recipe but adapted it to use what we had on hand and well, it is amazing, not to mention ridiculously easy. Also very light too, under 400 calories per serving (this makes four).

8 ounces farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
    1 bunch asparagus (the local farmers market has it for $1 a pound-I am stocking up on Saturday), cut into inch-long pieces
    1.5 cups milk
    4 teaspoons stone-ground dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon regular dijon mustard
    4 teaspoons flour
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Fresh, grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions, minus three minutes. After that time (should be about 8 minutes, I use Barilla farfalle), add in the asparagus and cook for the last 3-4 minutes. While the water is boiling and the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. Whisk the milk, flour, mustard, and about a half-teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a bowl until all the ingredients are well-incorporated. In a small sauce pan, heat up over medium heat a little olive oil-about 2 tablespoons, I never measure-and heat the garlic for two minutes. Pour in the sauce mixture from the bowl, stirring frequently, and let simmer until the sauce starts to thicken (about 2-3 minutes).
    After the last three minutes are done on the pasta and asparagus, drain them and return them to the pot. Pour in the sauce mixture and stir until the pasta and asparagus are well coated. Heat over medium-low heat for a minute or so, and stir in 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Once it has melted, it is ready to serve. Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan and a little salt and pepper, if you want. Enjoy!
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

I think I posted this a couple years ago in the other recipe thread.

I make it every Easter. Time consuming but SO worth it and so good for an Easter Sunday dinner.

Orange Sunshine Cake
    Cake:

3 cups cake flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) softened unsalted butter

2 cups granulated sugar

3 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten lightly

1 tablespoon grated orange zest

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature

Orange Syrup:

1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

1/4 cup granulated sugar

Filling:

1 cup orange marmalade

Frosting:

3/4 cup well-chilled heavy cream

3 tablespoons sugar

3/4 cup well-chilled sour cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 9-inch-round cake pans, line with parchment or waxed paper, and butter and flour paper, shaking out excess.

In a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt.

In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter until combined, add sugar, a little at a time, and beat mixture until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, orange zest and vanilla. Beat in a third of dry ingredients alternately with half of buttermilk until combined well. Add half remaining dry ingredients and remaining buttermilk and beat until combined well. Finally, beat in remaining dry ingredients until mixture is smooth.

Evenly divide the batter between the pans, smooth the surface, rap each pan on the counter to expel any air pockets or bubbles, then transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to racks and cool in the pans for 20 minutes.

Orange Syrup: In a bowl, stir together orange juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved.

With a toothpick or wooden skewer, poke holes at 1/2-inch intervals in the cake layers and spoon the syrup over each layer, allowing the syrup to be completely absorbed before adding the remaining. Let layers cool completely, then remove from the baking pans.

Filling: In a small saucepan set over moderate heat, heat the marmalade until just melted. Let cool 5 minutes.

Frosting: In a bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the sugar until it forms firm peaks. Add the sour cream, a little at a time, and whisk until of spreading consistency.

To assemble: Arrange one of the layers on a cake plate, carefully peel off the waxed paper, then spread the marmalade over the top, smoothing it into an even layer. Invert the remaining layer onto the top of the first layer, peel off the waxed paper Frost the entire cake, adding marmalade as a garnish on top. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. (I use orange slices and a couple mint leaves for garnish instead of the marmalade.

Makes 1 cake, 10 to 12 servings.

MRD

I made this last night and it was sooooo good. The dressing was fabulous

I used Splenda in the dressing and I started with 1/4 cup as I find it sweeter than sugar. I added a couple more spoonfuls to taste as I made it.

I sliced the strawberries with my egg slicer so they looked even and really nice, kind of fanned out on the spinach.

Spinach and Strawberry salad

1 bag baby spinach leaves

1 pint of strawberries, washed and sliced

2 tbsp. of finely minced purple onion

some nuts. I used pecans, but almonds or walnuts would be good too. Just enough to sprinkle over the top and give it some crunch.

Dressing
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 tablespoon poppy seeds

DIRECTIONS
    In a large bowl, put in spinch, sprinkle with onion, layer strawberries on top and sprinkle with nuts.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, paprika, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds. Pour over the spinach and strawberries, and toss to coat.

MRD, you're turning into Paula Dean!!

lol I am so going to make that orange cake.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Livin, you will LOVE it. It is fabulous, but it has to be stored in the fridge.

Famita, the spinach salad had NO butter in it at all, so I can't be turning into Paula Deen. Besides, I don't say Pee Cans, I say Pa Khans.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3405736;
    heya Luvs!

Is there an onion that can be substituted for a Maui onion? Are they sweet onions?
    Hi Iguana!
    You can replace the maui onion with any sweet onions...not sure where you live but here in CA we have Vidalia sweet onions. If you look in the produce section of your market, there should be a sweet onion, if not....use a purple onion but use less of it.
    Let me know how it comes out!

+ Reply to Thread