+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 92 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

When my sister was first dating her now ex-husband, his family had her over for dinner and cake on her birthday. It was her first time there and she naturally wanted to make a good impression. They bring out the cake, everyone sings and sister blows out the candles......on a cake topped with powdered sugar! It went everywhere including all over her face.

I have a recipe of my own-my mum originally did this as a chicken chow mein, but I adapted it to be vegetarian-friendly. It's not vegan, but if someone you know says no to meat, this will work.

Veggie Stir-Fry

3 carrots, sliced in 1/4" thick rounds
    4-5 stalks celery
    1/2 medium sweet onion
    3 green onions
    1 can water chestnuts
    1 bag (or about 6 ounces) bean sprouts)
    Two handfuls snow peas, IN POD (I will only eat peas if they are in the pod)
    7 mushrooms, sliced
    3 tablespoons olive oil

For the sauce:
    1 package of Chow Mein or Stir-Fry seasoning
    1 teaspoon sugar
    6 ounces water
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, or Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce.

Directions: In a large pan or a wok, heat up the oil for about two minutes on medium heat, until it can easily coat the bottom of the pan. Put the carrots and celery in the pan and cook until the carrots start to lightly brown, then add in the water chestnuts, water and all. Cook for 3 or so minutes and then add the onions and cook for another few minutes, until they are a bit transparent. While this is all cooking, prepare the sauce in a small bowl or in a measuring cup, stirring frequently. Add the mushrooms next and cook for a couple of minutes, and add all of the final ingredients (green onion, bean sprout, snow peas). Cook for one minute, and then add the sauce. Stirring frequently, cook until the sauce thickens-it is okay to turn the heat up two notches if necessary. Serve hot, over your favourite rice or noodles.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

White chili recipe for BFD

White Chili Recipe
    Ingredients
    1 lb large white beans, soaked overnight in water, drained
    6 cups chicken broth
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 medium onions, chopped (divided)
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    4 cups diced cooked chicken
    3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
    1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
    Method

1 Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and half the onions in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, 3 hours or more. Add additional water (or watered-down broth), if necessary.

2 In a skillet, sauté remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add chicken and continue to simmer 1 hour. Check seasoning, add jalapeno or serrano to level of desired hotness.

3 Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro, chopped fresh tomato, salsa, chopped scallions, and/or guacamole. Serve with fresh warmed flour tortillas or tortilla chips.

8-10 servings

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3396861;
    White chili recipe for BFD
    woohoo!! thank you!

Bunny's recipe is identical to mine except for the cloves. Mine doesn't have cloves. I've also used canned beans for this.

I like a little sour cream as a topping too. And - if you don't like to cook, I would think that this could be done in a crockpot. Just cook the chicken and throw it all in there and let it simmer! Let us know how it turns out.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

doxie was reading my mind! All Hail, doxie!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I use canned beans in mine too. I find the crock pot works better for me. Just cook your chicken first

It's maple season in Quebec, so last night I made Maple-Balsamic-Glazed Pork Medallions Recipe - Pork - MyRecipes.com. It was delicious and not too sweet. I served it with roasted cauliflower.

ETA: The meal was on the table in 20 minutes, so it's great for weekdays.

here is the just recipes thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3297141;
    Mmmm I love scallops. Can't afford to eat them, but I do love them.
    I'm way behind on reading this thread, but our local costco has a seafood fest every other week and thats when I buy my scallops or shrimp and you can't beat the price.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

+ Reply to Thread