+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

MRD

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3193988;
    Haha, yay! I'm glad you liked it. Like I said before, it's an old, historic recipe, and perhaps those are truer to what the original food is supposed to be like.
    I love holder h istoric recipes that have been handed down for generations in a family. You're right, they are truer to the original. I can understand how some recipes get changed with the advent of more convenience food, etc., but it's those old recipes that I love. Lots of comfort and memories.

I can't wait to make it again. I had some leftovers for breakfast this morning.

Of course, I am a lover of anything with cornmeal and anything resembling cornbread. I'm the only one in my family that will eat hushpuppies too. I'd rather have those than the fish they are usually served with.

Have you read the Cornbread Nation books? Volume 3 is "Foods of the Mountain South". I have one and two, but haven't gotten around to getting 3 and 4 yet.

And now for a recipe:

I made the To Die For Pot Roast, but made it as stew. I used stew meat and I added potatos, carrots, onion, mushrooms and celery and a tad bit more water and it was TO DIE FOR STEW!!! My family is now hooked on this and it's SO easy. And such great flavor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just made the easiest and most delicious lasagna! I was shopping at Trader Joes this afternoon and needed an idea for dinner. I was passing the pasta aisle and noticed the lasagna noodles said "no boil" and it had a recipe on the side of it. Anyway, I picked up the ingredients needed for the recipe and it was so simple and delicious. I added cheese and changed a few things, I'll post my version but you can get the original on the box.
    You all must try it!!! I promise it will not disappoint
    Here goes:

Trader Joe's Bolgnese Lasagna (ala Luvsginger)

1/2 package Trader Joe's No boil Lasagna Noodles
    1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    1 jar Trader Joe's Alfredo Sauce (I only used 1/2 of the bottle)
    1 jar Trader Joe's Bolognese Meat Sauce
    1 lb Trader Joe's Uncooked Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage (hard to locate at my Trader Joe, it was hidden way on the top shelf)
    1 package (12 oz) Trader Joe's Quattro Formaggio cheese (my addition)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Remove the casing from all the sausage link; place sausage in a large skillet and pan fry until done. Add Bolognese sauce to pan; mix and warm through. Set aside. Spread thin layer of Alfredo sauce on the bottom of an 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles. Spread half of the meat sauce on top of the noodles, top with a thin drizzle of Alfredo, add 1/2 of the shredded cheese, evenly sprinkle on a small amount of grated parmesan cheese and top with another layer of noodles. Repeat layering sequence. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly and the edges are crispy.

As I mentioned the recipe is on the side of the box and it is a little different than this version. The recipe on the box does not include any shredded cheese and it calls for an 8 x 8 baking dish.
    Start to finish, less than one hour for a perfect homemade lasagna! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

I made this lasagna tonight lg and it was amazing! I tweaked it just a bit by using sweet Italian pork sausage and a bit of ricotta. I never thought of making a lasagna using Alfredo sauce but it truely made it out of this world delicious.
    I had half of my son's soccer team here for dinner and they demolished every bit of it. Thanks so much for sharing.
    CYA

I just made a pot of this soup and thought I would share the recipe. It's been cold and rainy here the last two days, we are getting all the Ike rain today. Soup seemed like a good idea and it smells great cooking on the stove.

Pasta Fagioli Soup
    1/2 lbs Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled (I use the Hot, but I'm sure the sweet would be good as well)
    1 small onion chopped
    1-1/2 teaspoons oil
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 cups water
    1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
    3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (I use whole wheat elbow macaroni)
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup fresh spinach leaves, cut into strips (I'm too lazy to cut them so I just put them in)
    Shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.

Add the water, beans, tomatoes, broth, macaroni and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until macaroni is tender.

Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage and spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.

Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.

Yield: 5 servings

Thanks for the recipe, Gnomie! It sounds yummy. I'm a sucker for a soup with Italian sausage in it. It's about 90 here, so it's still a little too warm for soup, although I shouldn't complain - a week ago, it was well over 100! I'll be making it when it finally cools down here.This one looks really easy too, which is always a bonus.

When I get home, I'll post a soup recipe that I LOVE and haven't made in a long time. It's chicken and potatoes with shell macaroni and veggies with a milk base. Not exaclty light fare, but so good.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Made a fabulous pork roast in the crock pot today

2 lb pork roast
    2 cups of orange juice
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 onion minced
    1/4 cup of soy sauce
    1 packet of pork gravy mix
    2 cups of water
    Salt and pepper

Add all ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours. Serve as a roast, or pull the meat and serve on crusty, toasted bread.
    The liquid also makes great gravy.

Okay, here's that soup recipe I talked about. I got it out of one of those staple-bound cookbooks you get at the register at the grocery store. I've long since lost the cookbook but, luckily, I wrote down the recipe years ago. I don't even know what it was called, but it sure is good!

5C water
    1 onion
    2 chicken breasts - uncooked - I've used boneless and skinless, as well as the exact opposite
    1 bay leaf
    salt and white pepper to taste
    2 stalks celery - cut it thick or thin to your preference
    2 potatoes, cubed (I like then cubed fairly small)
    2 C milk
    1C cooked pasta - I always used shells
    a few green onions sliced (also to your taste)
    1/8 t seasoned salt
    1/8 t poultry seasoning
    1/4 C flour
    butter or margarine for roux

Boil and then simmer the water along with the next 6 ingredients until the chicken is cooked through (usually 20-30 min). Add the potatoes and remove the chicken, chop it up and add it back into the pot with the pasta, milk and green onions, as well as the seasoned salt and the poultry seasoning. The potatoes generally don't take too long to cook, so you just have to check them periodically...did I mention that I wrote this down from memory?

Make a roux with the flour and butter (I just eyeball the butter and add it until the consistency is right) and add it to soup when it's just browned.

Heat the soup through and serve. It's really hearty and delicious: sort of like a chowder. I can't wait for the weather to get cold so I can make up a pot of it!

MRD - that pork roast sounds good. Does the orange juice make it sweet or does the soy cancel out the sweetness of the juice? Either way, it sounds delish!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

A friend of mine sent me this recipe that she makes for football watching parties...I haven't tried it myself but it does sound yummy!

Hungry Man Dip

1 Can Cream of Chicken
    2 Cups Diced Chicken Breast with broth
    Cup Chicken Broth
    1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
    1 Can Corn W/peppers (shoe peg)
    1 Can Black Beans
    (include juice in cans)

Mix all above ingredients

11 oz package of BBQ Frito Chips

Spray large casserole Dish
    Add of the above mixture to the casserole dish
    of the package of BBQ Frito Chips
    SPRINKLE
    1 cup mozzarella Cheese (all cheese is to be grated)
    1 cup Yellow cheese
    Add the remaining mixture to the casserole dish
    Add remaining chips

Top with yellow American Cheese (thickly)
    Bake @ 350 for 40 minutes
    Stir
    Bake @ 350 for 10 minutes
    Serve with Scoops chips
    sour cream (optional)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Critical, the OJ did not make the meat sweet. But I did find just a hint of sweetness in the gravy I made from the juice-but still very good. The soy must cancel out the sweetness, but you still have the orange flavor. And it's also a subtle orange flavor, but still fabulous.

Does anyone have a good non-carbonated punch recipe? My daughter's 7th birthday is this weekend and I'd like to do something more than open a jug of Hawaiian Punch. Everything I'm finding has 7-Up or ginger ale(She won't drink anything carbonated). The only punch I've ever made is trash can punch back in my college days and that obviously won't do.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread