+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3339546;
    One thing I like to do is buy cheesecloth (available at most fabric stores, cooking stores, etc) and put my cloves and bay leaves in, tie it up and drop it in the pot. The spices flavor the food and the cheesecloth bundle is easily removed later and no nasties left inadvertantly in the pot.
    Depending upon how you feel about who's coming to dinner, that is definitely the way to go. (That's a joke -- cheesecloth is the answer. I should have put that in the directions).

Hosea on Top Chef inspired me to read up on Creole vs Cajun roux. So I might try it with a darker roux next time. Last night, we just wanted a favorite recipe.

All time best shrimp recipe (husband pronounced it a -- successful! -- Man Trap, when we were just dating). From La Bonne Cuisine, a New Orleans cookbook:

BARBECUED SHRIMP NAPOLEON (feeds a crowd, I usually halve or even "third" it if it's just 2 people).

6 pounds large raw shrimp, heads and shells on
    3 cups butter
    6 TBSP pepper (you can adjust it down if you like, I do)
    3 lemons, sliced
    3 oranges sliced

Wash the shrimp in cold water. Drain for 1 hours (IMPORTANT STEP)

Place the shrimp in a large baking pan. Place the sticks of butter on top of the shrimp. Sprinkle with pepper, covering the entire top surface. Arranged the lemon and orange slices on top of the shrimp.

Bake at 350 for approx 45 minutes, stirring gently, and turning the shrimp over every 15 minutes. (If shells begin to crinkle, shrimp is overcooked, and will be difficult to peel.)

Serve the shrimp, unpeeled, in the sauce with hot French bread for dunking.

--

SERVE WITH CAUTION. IT'S A MAN TRAP.

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3340076;
    SERVE WITH CAUTION. IT'S A MAN TRAP.
    That is hilarious! I've already "trapped" a man... but he loves shrimp and maybe this will work to "re-trap" him and make him do some work in the yard.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

I'm looking for a recipe that makes a man want to do yard work and clean out the basement.

Made this for dinner last night and it was really good and easy. I had to doctor it as I swear the orignal recipe did not have enough "spice".

Hamburger stew with biscuits

1 lb ground beef

1/4 c. onion chopped

2 cloves garlic minced

1 can of diced tomatos with juices

1 jar of beef gravy

1 1/2 cups of frozen mixed veggies

1 cup of diced potatos (make them very small cubes)

1 can of pillsbury buttermilk flaky biscuits

My add ins: Worchestershire sauce, ground mustard, salt and pepper, Everglades seasoning, parsley flakes, paprika. YOu could add any or all or non, but it needed some pizzaz.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    brown hamburger, chopped onion and garlic in very large skillet until hamburger is cooked. Drain. Return to large pan and add the rest of the ingredients except the biscuits. Let simmer for 15 min. The "stew" needs to be bubbling hot when you add the biscuits so they will cook in the stew.

Pour stew into a 2 quart. casserole dish and stick biscuits around the edges vertically, where half of biscuit is submerged in the stew and half is sticking out of it. Bake 20 min. until biscuits are golden.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3342090;
    I'm looking for a recipe that makes a man want to do yard work and clean out the basement.
    heehee, well you know there are recipes for this but they usually don't involve any culinary skills...
    your path is beautiful and crooked and just as it should be

Whipped cream and a leather teddy.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Boom-Shakah-Lakah!!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'll have to ask my friend Victoria for her ... secret. (Ok I couldn't resist).

MRD

I've been married 20 years, there is no secret to get a man to do that kind of work.

OK, have been living on Doxie's olive spread for lunch for several days. Well it's not her spread recipe as she never gave me one. But what I use to make mine:

1 package of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of spanish olives, 2 shakes of worchestersire sauce, put in food processor and blend.

I like it on crackers, but it's really good spread for sandwiches.

And it makes a great stuffing for mushrooms, I discovered earlier this week.

MRD - Glad you are enjoying the olive spread! I don't really have a recipe. I basically do exactly what you did but I use a spoon of olive juice instead of Worcestshire. I may have to try it in mushrooms next time I make it!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3345674;
    MRD - Glad you are enjoying the olive spread! I don't really have a recipe. I basically do exactly what you did but I use a spoon of olive juice instead of Worcestshire. I may have to try it in mushrooms next time I make it!
    I put worchestershire in just about everything I make. It's a habit and I can't help it.
    The mushrooms were great. I sprinkled some breadcrumbs on the top and baked them in the oven. Oh man.

+ Reply to Thread