+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 93 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Bacon? There's one I haven't seen.

I usually make up two batches because I don't like raw onions. For myself, I do one with lime juice, a dash of salt, a little garlic, and a lot of cilantro. Like myrosiedog, I prefer to mash the avocado with a fork so it's chunky. For everyone else, I toss in diced tomatoes and onions.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes. I love raw onions but can't really eat them lately or I get a severe case of agita. So I like lildago's idea of making two batches. It certainly won't go to waste around here.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3308769;
    Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes. I love raw onions but can't really eat them lately or I get a severe case of agita. So I like lildago's idea of making two batches. It certainly won't go to waste around here.
    I have found that if I know I'm going to eat something that could potentially upset my stomach (spicy stuff is killing me) I will take a Pepcid a couple hours beforehand and that usually takes care of it. But its the beforehand that is key.

What time should we be there for guacamole??? (I love the stuff)

After finding out last week that I could use refrigerator (or whomp biscuits as we call them) for dumplings, I also found out you can make a "homemade" chicken and dumplings in less than 30 min.

Quick Chicken and Dumplings

1 small grocery store roasted chicken, deboned, skinned and chopped
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    1 16 oz carton of chicken broth
    2 cans of refrigerator biscuits.

Bring broth and soup to low simmer on the stove. Add in the deboned and chopped chicken. Cut refrigerator biscuits into quarters and drop in bubbling soup and cook for about 8 min. until done.

Do not use "flaky" type biscuits. Just use the regular ones.

While it is not exactly like my own homemade where I boil the chicken all day with onions, celery and carrots, it's darn close and so much easier and a LOT quicker and no one has to know you bought the cooked chicken and used canned biscuits. Believe me, you cannot tell.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Top Chef was in New Orleans this week, inspiring me to pull out my favorite Shrimp Creole recipe:

1/4 lb butter
    1 c finely chopped onion
    3/4 c finely chopped green pepper
    1 c finely chopped celery
    1/4 c flour
    4 c peeled, coarsely chopped tomatoes
    2 tsp salt
    1/4 black pepper
    1 Tbsp brown sugar
    3 bay leaves
    6 whole cloves
    1 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tsp Worcestshire sauce
    1/2 TBsp fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp tabasco sauce

Freshly cooked white rice, for accompaniment

1. In a heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter and saute the onion, green pepper, and celery until soft. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.
    2. Add the tomatoes, salt, black pepper, sugar, bay leaves, and cloves.
    3. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat and cook 1 1/2 hours. Stir often, so that tomatoes do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
    4. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the shrimp, Worcestshire sauce, lemon juice, and Tabasco. When the shrimp are done, serve over rice.

Enjoy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That sounds totally devine!!! I'd even try to make that!!! To Die For!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Don't forget to remove bay leaves and cloves before serving. Crunching on a clove is a bummer.

Yuck! No Doubt!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Ooh -- that sounds good. And we just bought shrimp today with no particular recipe in mind. Now I know what to do with it!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Question....do cloves float up to the top so that I can see them and remove them?

MRD

One thing I like to do is buy cheesecloth (available at most fabric stores, cooking stores, etc) and put my cloves and bay leaves in, tie it up and drop it in the pot. The spices flavor the food and the cheesecloth bundle is easily removed later and no nasties left inadvertantly in the pot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread