+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 92 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

MRD

Re: Just Recipes

I only use Sultanas now (golden raisens) because I like the taste a lot better. I use them in oatmeal raisen cookies and in my pumpkin bread and the broccali salad. I don't even buy the dark raisens anymore.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've been craving some really good Guacamole recently but I want to have it at home not at a restaurant. I've made it just once, years ago and have no idea what recipe I used. Does anyone have a favorite?

MRD

I use 2 good size avocados
    Juice of one lime
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    1/4 cup of onion minced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 jalepino chili (can remove the seeds and stuff to make it not as hot)
    minced
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped fine.

Mash avocado (I don't like mine pureed, I like a few chunks, so I just mash with a fork)
    and squeeze lime juice over it and stir well. Add rest of ingredients and stir. Cover with plastic wrap, putting wrap on surface of the dip, so no air can get to it and refrigerate a couple hours to let the flavors blend.

I know taste is subjective, but I like to add a bit of finely diced tomato and onion, some chopped cilantro (or cumin in a pinch), lime juice, hot sauce, and garlic salt... amounts can be adjusted or excluded for taste/texture preferences. I am a wuss about jalapeno so I never add it.

ETA: oops, I see Myrosiedog already posted a recipe.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3307252;
    I know taste is subjective, but I like to add a bit of finely diced tomato and onion, some chopped cilantro (or cumin in a pinch), lime juice, hot sauce, and garlic salt... amounts can be adjusted or excluded for taste/texture preferences. I am a wuss about jalapeno so I never add it.

ETA: oops, I see Myrosiedog already posted a recipe.
    you're so right about taste being subjective because I don't add tomato because I don't like it.
    And I forgot that I do add hot sauce to it as well. Just a couple shakes.

Well between the two of us, maybe we have a recipe.

I sometimes roast the garlic cloves for guacamole. Cilantro and cumin are musts, and I use red onion.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

The talk about guacamole reminded me of this story. Last weekend my hubby and I went to Sams Club and of course they were handing out samples. An older lady had chips with various dips. I stopped and she said to me, "This one is Salsa, this is Asiago Cheese and this one is guademali." Yes, it was guacamole.

FORT Fogey

I like using Produce Partner's Guacamole Mix. It is easy and everyone likes it.

Food Lion - Special Order Catalog | McCormick Spices: Produce Partners

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3307466;
    The talk about guacamole reminded me of this story. Last weekend my hubby and I went to Sams Club and of course they were handing out samples. An older lady had chips with various dips. I stopped and she said to me, "This one is Salsa, this is Asiago Cheese and this one is guademali." Yes, it was guacamole.
    My aunt was buying a refrigerator in Arkansas in the 70's when Avocado was a popular color. The salesman told her that they had the model she wanted in white, gold and a-VOK-a-doo (the Vok rhymes with clock). We have called it that for over 30 years now.

McCormick also makes a decent Guacamole mix where you just add the avocados to the mix. It's not the world's best or anything, but it's not bad and works in a quick pinch.

ETA: oops, didn't read Pugmom's post. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3308104;
    My aunt was buying a refrigerator in Arkansas in the 70's when Avocado was a popular color. The salesman told her that they had the model she wanted in white, gold and a-VOK-a-doo (the Vok rhymes with clock). We have called it that for over 30 years now.

McCormick also makes a decent Guacamole mix where you just add the avocados to the mix. It's not the world's best or anything, but it's not bad and works in a quick pinch.

ETA: oops, didn't read Pugmom's post. Sorry
    I've used the McCormick mix too. I also usually add a few slices of crumbled bacon on top of my guacamole.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread