+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Just Recipes

Re: Just Recipes

Wow. I think I had a little coronary just from reading that recipe!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I know right?

But really, it's really, really, good pound cake And remember the definition of pound cake was originally it called for a pound of each main ingredient.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PugMum

Souplantation's (Sweet Potatoes) Joan's Broccoli Madness Salad

6 to 8 servings

1 bunch uncooked broccoli, cut into florets

1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon

1/2 cup cashews

1/3 cup raisins

1/4 cup chopped red onion

DRESSING

1 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup sugar

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Mix the broccoli, bacon, cashews, raisins and onions in a large bowl. In a second bowl, beat dressing ingredients together gently until smooth.

About 10 minutes before serving, toss the salad with the dressing to allow flavors to meld. Serve on chilled salad dishes.

(From Souplantation.)

My MIL makes that broccoli salad (or one very similar, anyway, she uses sunflower seeds instead of cashews and she adds cauliflower florets). It's delicious and the kids love it - they don't even realize they're eating raw veggies.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

PugMum

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3303836;
    My MIL makes that broccoli salad (or one very similar, anyway, she uses sunflower seeds instead of cashews and she adds cauliflower florets). It's delicious and the kids love it - they don't even realize they're eating raw veggies.
    I prefer sunflower seeds to the cashews. Better tasting and cheaper.

MRD

I've had it with sunflower seeds and walnuts but not cashews. I like it with the seeds or the walnuts. It's good stuff.

Well I have the pound cake in the oven. It made 2 (she must have a HUGE tube pan), so I am going to give one to my neighbor who loves cakes and then we won't eat too much of it ourselves.

MRD, maybe she used one of those tube pans that comes apart? I have one and it's way bigger than the one piece.
    PugMom, thanks for adding that recipe--I love that stuff and used to make it without looking at a recipe, but that file has been missing from my brain for the past couple of years. (Probably replaced by the mating habits of Alaskan Razor Clams, or some other useful info)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Probably. Thinking back my grandmother had this IMMENSE tube pan thing and mine is just not that big.

When you find out how to get the mating habits of the Alaskan Razor Clam out of your head, let me know, I'm finding I'm having the same problem with remembering.

I love that recipe Pugmum. I think I have used grapes cut in half since my hubby doesn't like raisins...it tastes really good.

I now remember that I used the yellow rtaisins when I made the Broccoli Salad--which I see appearing on my menu soon, after I get rid of this horrible head cold. Only spicy food tastes like anything right now.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread